Synchronewwwcity

Cidu Bill on Nov 3rd 2012

upset.gifvomit.gif

This was last Monday’s Argyle Sweater, and the same day’s “retro” Arlo and Janis. It counts. And we probably could have done without reading either of them in our newspaper while eating breakfast (assuming any of us still read newspapers; which come to think of it I do more often than I eat breakfast).

Regarding the first comic, though: the reference is to Justin Bieber throwing up twice during a recent concert. Not only don’t I see the punchline here… but to be fair, you have to give the kid some credit rather than trying to make a joke at his expense: he threw up, then went on with the show. Threw up again, tried to soldier on yet again, then finally realized he couldn’t do it. Contrast that with performers who cancel a show or cut it short after half an hour because that pesky ingrown toenail is bothering them and they just can’t “feel” the music tonight.

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Ewww, Jimmy Johnson, Justin Bieber, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Synchronewwwcity”

1. James Pollock Nov 3rd 2012 at 08:38 am 1

I object to the theory that Justin Bieber is memorable in any way.

2. Mark M Nov 3rd 2012 at 09:16 am 2

And Truman over Dewey was not an upset as much as misreporting right?

3. John in Tronna Nov 3rd 2012 at 09:46 am 3

The 4th panel threw me for a second… I was wondering what Bieber was doing in a laundromat…

4. John in Tronna Nov 3rd 2012 at 09:48 am 4

@Mark M #2
    I guess it was assumed that Dewey over Truman was a fait accompli, thus the upset.

5. fj Nov 3rd 2012 at 10:33 am 5

@Mark M (#2)
    Truman’s approval ratings in ‘48 were between 36% and 40%. Gallup had predicted Dewey would win, as did two other major polls, and several major newspapers. It was an upset AND misreporting.

6. fj Nov 3rd 2012 at 10:56 am 6

That should have read “as did the two other major polls.” In other words, all three major polls (Gallup, Roper, Crossley) picked Dewey to win, and all predicted victory with a margin outside their supposed error bands. Some sources were expecting Dewey to have a double digit win in the popular vote.

7. furrykef Nov 3rd 2012 at 11:17 am 7

I’d argue that Clay vs. Liston is more iconic than Douglas vs. Tyson.

8. Mark M Nov 3rd 2012 at 11:21 am 8

Thanks for clarifying fj!

Regarding Arlo, I’m assuming he saw the cat vomit and decided to ignore it, knowing that Janis would clean it up. Is that what others are thinking? I know I have used that maneuver. :-)

9. Jeff S. Nov 3rd 2012 at 12:04 pm 9

furrykef, a Clay/Ali victory was bound to happen at some point. Liston was just the victim when it happened. However, no one ever expected Buster Douglas to beat anyone, let alone the monster that Tyson was.

I do agree with you on one point… the picture of Clay standing over Liston is an iconic image.

10. Chuck C Nov 3rd 2012 at 12:47 pm 10

Speaking of Douglas-Tyson, that fight produced the funniest pair of Tank McNamara comic strips ever.
    (from memory)
    1) Friday before the fight
    [Ringside POV behind Tyson and trainer, before introductions]
    Tyson: “What’s this guy’s name again”
    Trainer: “What does it matter?”

2) Two weeks after the fight (or whatever the comic production lead time was)
    [Tyson flat on the mat, being counted out]
    Trainer: “Douglas, D-O-U-G-L-A-S”

11. Morris Keesan Nov 3rd 2012 at 03:32 pm 11

“Contrast that with performers who cancel a show or cut it short after half an hour because that pesky ingrown toenail is bothering them and they just can’t “feel” the music tonight.”

I saw Ella Fitzgerald in concert once, when she had slipped and fallen when coming out of her hotel on her way to the concert.
    During the first half of the concert, her leg gave out under her, and she semi-slowly, but suddenly, sat down on the stage. She kept singing, while sitting on the floor, and waved her pianist back onto his bench when he started to get up to assist her. Only after they finished that song did she leave the stage. After the intermission, her backing trio played a longer-than-usual instrumental set, and then she came back on stage and finished the concert seated, even slipping an improvised reference to the fall into one of her scat solos.

12. Christine Nov 3rd 2012 at 06:59 pm 12

Never ask a singer about what bodily fluids can be found on the average stage.

13. Mark in Boston Nov 3rd 2012 at 08:44 pm 13

If you’re a singer you should always bring your own microphone with you (Shure SM-58 of course). You don’t want to know where last night’s rock singer put the house microphone.

14. mak Nov 3rd 2012 at 08:48 pm 14

I’ve never seen cat vomit and I don’t feel any need to remedy to this situation.

15. Rainey Nov 4th 2012 at 12:04 am 15

I agree that when something embarassing happens to a singer and they continue with the show, they should be commended. I felt the same way when Taylor Swift had a wardrobe malfunction during the concert that exposed her underwear. Though Taylor Swift is far from one of my favorite singers, when I read about this then saw it on Youtube, I couldn’t help but have a lot of respect for her for not letting down her fans. I’d have been even more impressed had she not been wearing underwear (therefore being completely exposed) and covered up then went on as if nothing happened.

16. mitch4 Nov 4th 2012 at 01:07 am 16

Sometimes I even go looking for cat vomit. (I heard it being produced, so where is it?)

17. Elyrest Nov 4th 2012 at 09:26 am 17

mitch4 - It’s when you can’t find the cat vomit that’s bad. You know it’s there somewhere. Are you going to step in it? Sit on it? Find it in something? It’s not so much disgusting as just a pain in the wazoo.