Or this one either

Cidu Bill on Oct 31st 2012

lio121018.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Halloween, Lio, Mark Tatulli, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Or this one either”

1. Arthur Oct 31st 2012 at 12:13 am 1

First panel: expectation
    Second panel: reality

2. Tezza Oct 31st 2012 at 12:25 am 2

Isn’t it a comment on the blight of political correctness affecting the current generation?
    Where every kids gets a prize so they don’t have low self esteem, then they get a job and when the boss tells them to do better they don’t understand.

3. minorannoyance Oct 31st 2012 at 03:41 am 3

Arthur got it — Lio dreams of glory, and he finishes with the ubernerdy kids. I think “Also Ran” is more salt in the wound than an attempt to bolster anyone’s self-esteem (if that were the case, everybody would have a World’s Greatest ribbon).

4. mitch4 Oct 31st 2012 at 06:54 am 4

I agree w/ minorannoyance — “Also ran” is not the phrasing used for the “all participants rewarded” tendency.

5. John DiFool Oct 31st 2012 at 09:27 am 5

What I don’t get it that this Lio we’re talking about-and his pumpkin is completely 100% conventional looking? I’d expect to see a bug-eyed alien or some other eldrich monstrosity. That for me is a true CIDU.

6. padraig Oct 31st 2012 at 10:08 am 6

Anybody figured out how to lure Bill Watterston out of retirement yet? Calvin’s pumpkins and snowmen are sorely missed.

7. Skaloop Oct 31st 2012 at 10:56 am 7

Tezza (#2), they gave out “participant” ribbons when I was in grade school 30 years ago, so this isn’t a “current generation” thing.

8. Inkwell Oct 31st 2012 at 11:21 am 8

I don’t think it affects kids as badly as people think, at least not me. I liked contests and games, but they were just recreation. I don’t think I ever applied any life skills from them.

Also, no kid ever considers an “Also Ran” ribbon a substitute for victory. Ever.

9. Judge Mental Oct 31st 2012 at 02:19 pm 9

Arthur got the joke in 1. IMO, the phraseology of the “also ran” ribbon was not meant to necessarily convey something different (i.e., harsher) than a participation ribbon. Participation awards don’t usually say “also ran”, but that was a clear way to show Lio did not win without showing the actual victor. If the second panel had another kid winning the “greatest” trophy, it would have conveyed a hint of jealousy, instead of the proper emotion of disappointment. In addition, showing the actual victor would have also meant showing the winning pumpkin, whereas Tatulli clearly would prefer to have the reader focusing on Lio’s disappointment.

10. Tezza Oct 31st 2012 at 07:23 pm 10

As an Australian, stuffed if I know what “ALSO RAN” means. Ran as is took place in the competition?
    Ok accepted, not as I first thought. Authur wins, I just ran….

#Skaloop - my inner geezer is showing.

11. Narmitaj Oct 31st 2012 at 08:01 pm 11

Also Ran comes from horse racing - “Biffo won, The Fighting Temeraire was second, ShoopShop was third. Eccles, Out of Africa, Bulgares, Sanyo Music Centre, Inkjet, Tidley Winks and Thesaurus also ran”. However, I don’t think they get rosettes for it.

(Actually, Sanyo Music Centre, though a real horse back around 1980, was a showjumper).

12. Mark in Boston Oct 31st 2012 at 09:50 pm 12

Narmitaj is right. “Also ran” is not an award in horse racing. If you also ran, you win nothing.

13. Mark in Boston Nov 3rd 2012 at 08:40 pm 13