I Don’t Understand Jack About This Comic

Cidu Bill on Oct 31st 2012

jack.jpg

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Halloween, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “I Don’t Understand Jack About This Comic”

1. Ron Oct 31st 2012 at 12:20 am 1

Straightforward. She leaves, and the pumpkin is smiling. She returns, and the
    pumpkin is frowning. How did it do that? She goes in to recount this strange
    event to Arlo, and sees him sitting with the smiling version. Mystery solved!

2. James Pollock Oct 31st 2012 at 12:35 am 2

She went away in the daytime and the pumpkin was smiling, then came back in the dark and it’s not. This is not usually observed in pumpkins. Janis suspects Arlo of tampering with her pumpkin, but he’s just brought hers indoors.

3. Lost in A**2 Oct 31st 2012 at 01:00 am 3

Actually, she doesn’t really see the pumpkin on the couch: it’s covered by a cushion, under his arm, and she’s behind the couch. Still, she knows him and figures it out.

4. RyanE Oct 31st 2012 at 02:12 am 4

I personally think Arlo brought it in because the Frowning Pumpkin wasn’t *exactly* the right height for his arm to rest on.

Arlo’s all about the comfort. (TM).

5. minorannoyance Oct 31st 2012 at 03:34 am 5

I thought the “Never mind” indicated she decided against telling him what she saw, for fear of being mocked. The mystery is solved for the reader but not for Janis, the victim of Arlo’s prank.

6. Morris Keesan Oct 31st 2012 at 08:08 am 6

I agree with minorannoyance. This is exactly what I thought when I read the strip yesterday: Janis has been successfully pranked.
    From her position behind the couch, she can’t see what’s under the pillow that’s under Arlo’s left arm.

7. Dan W Oct 31st 2012 at 08:16 am 7

My impression was similar to that of minorannoyance. She says “nevermind” because she realizes how crazy she is going to sound and fears being mocked. She doesn’t know that he switched the pumpkins.

8. Elyrest Oct 31st 2012 at 12:48 pm 8

I’m with minorannoyance, Morris Keesan and Dan W. Janis thinks the pumpkin is different, but at the last minute she decides not to say anything. Better to be thought a little strange than outright crazy.

9. Ian Osmond Oct 31st 2012 at 12:56 pm 9

Either she decides not to speak for fear he’ll think she’s crazy, or she decides not to speak because she realizes he did it, and just doesn’t think it’s worth arguing about.

10. James Pollock Oct 31st 2012 at 03:06 pm 10

By the time she reaches the next-to-last panel, she can see the pumpkin on the couch. In the panel before that, she thinks Arlo’s messing with her and plans to tell him off; in the second-to-last panel she sees that he’s not (he would have hidden the smile pumpkin MUCH better if he was).

11. Christine Nov 1st 2012 at 09:06 am 11

Arlo doesn’t just have his arm over the pumpkin - there’s a cushion. It’s quite unlikely that Janis would have been able to see it. My theory on why she didn’t say anything was that she figured she misremembered, there’s no way it’s reasonable to think that the pumpkin changed expression. Which I think is exactly what Arlo was going for (”but… I thought…”)

12. Boise Ed Nov 1st 2012 at 02:23 pm 12

I too think we are supposed to know that she didn’t see it, although it has to be plainly visible enough for US to see it. It’s kind of like in an opera, when one character sings an aside loudly enough for the entire opera house to hear it, but the other character doesn’t hear it.

13. Woodrowfan Nov 2nd 2012 at 05:29 pm 13

minorannoyance wins!

14. docdonn Nov 3rd 2012 at 12:45 pm 14

it pretty obvious…the two pumpkins are married (this must be the result of the slippery slope i guess) arlo is smooching with the one pumpkin and it’s happy, the cuckold pumpkin in front is angry… janice just doesn’t want to know