Why?

Cidu Bill on Oct 30th 2012

tinas_groove20111031_small.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Rina Piccolo, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Why?”

1. Usual John Oct 30th 2012 at 12:09 am 1

The skeleton, she presumes, has the ultimate weight loss regimen.

Note that this is different from the locus classicus of “I’ll have what she’s having,” the scene in When Harry Met Sally in which Salley fakes an orgasm while at a restaurant. The skeleton gives no indication of orgasmic glee.

2. Mike Oct 30th 2012 at 12:14 am 2

“I am depressed and alone and want to be dead, like her” was my first reading (goes with the waitress’s concerned look), but since it’s halloween, it’s probably just an semi-coherent “take an old old joke and halloweenize it” joke. are we going to get “take my wife.. please” with zombies next?

3. Jeff S. Oct 30th 2012 at 12:30 am 3

Or, “Maybe just a bite…” featuring a vampire.

4. Rick Oct 30th 2012 at 01:10 am 4

Whatever it is, she’s betting it’s to die for.

5. mitch4 Oct 30th 2012 at 01:36 am 5

I think Usual John #1 has it right.

6. AMC Oct 30th 2012 at 01:54 am 6

Any meal with wine is a good meal.

7. rain Oct 30th 2012 at 02:21 am 7

Good gravy. That center pumpkin has HUMAN TEETH.

8. Kilby Oct 30th 2012 at 03:31 am 8

@ rain (7) - Blame it on a lazy syndicate colorist, not the cartoonist.

9. Bob in Nashville Oct 30th 2012 at 07:21 am 9

I’m with Usual John on this one. Eating disorder joke.

10. Rainey Oct 30th 2012 at 10:49 am 10

Not only does the food make you lose weight but it makes your clothes fall off as well.

11. Ian Osmond Oct 30th 2012 at 11:40 am 11

Yep. Notice that the diner is drawn a bit heavier than usual for the comic. Therefore, as she is heavier than usual, she MUST be wanting to lose weight. Since the skeleton looks totally skeletal, that’s the body type she’s going for, therefore she wants to eat like the skeleton does.

12. NitricAcid Oct 30th 2012 at 12:16 pm 12

Rain- It’s easy enough to carve a pumpkin so that it has white teeth.

13. rain Oct 30th 2012 at 04:38 pm 13

NitricAcid:

Yes, I know. Just trying to be silly, obviously failing.

14. J-L Oct 30th 2012 at 06:05 pm 14

Notice that the skeleton has a glass of wine in front of her. Presumably she also has a nice meal in the bowl, meant to look attractive to the passing customer. (Many restaurants will show a sample meal or place setting, but usually without a skeleton.)

I think the customer is just remarking that she wants the showcased meal, but the fact that a skeleton is positioned as the meal’s consumer makes her request look quite surreal.

Besides, deep inside we all know the reason why the skeleton looks so thin: magic.

15. Mary in Ohio Oct 30th 2012 at 06:10 pm 15

That’s a pretty robust skull for a female. They usually appear “gracile” - it’s one way to differentiate in a CSI setting.

16. jen jen the big wet hen Nov 1st 2012 at 12:40 pm 16

a friend of mine never orders from the menu. she stares at people’s dinner as it goes past, or even at their plates. i thought of her when i saw the comic, because thaat’s how she orders.

if no one is in the restaurant she either has what i have, of doesn’t eat.

17. Elyrest Nov 1st 2012 at 06:23 pm 17

jen jen the big wet hen - Are you sure she can read the menu? I did this when when I was in other countries where my translating abilities were a little weak.