If you were going to dress up as a comic strip character for Halloween…

Cidu Bill on Oct 26th 2012

… who would it be and why?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Halloween, comic strips, comics | 33 responses so far

33 Responses to “If you were going to dress up as a comic strip character for Halloween…”

1. Singapore Bill Oct 26th 2012 at 03:16 am 1

Not a comic strip, but a cartoon. I will be Mr. Slate, Fred Flinstone’s boss. The whole department at work is doing a Flintstones thing.

2. Kilby Oct 26th 2012 at 03:49 am 2

Are we talking about for Halloween, or for the voting booth?

I’ve never been all that wild about costumes, but as a kid I once picked Underdog, much to the amusement of all concerned.

3. James Pollock Oct 26th 2012 at 03:57 am 3

An adult from Peanuts, because I can dress any way I like.

4. Frank the curmudgeon Oct 26th 2012 at 04:11 am 4

Fatbroad from BC ???

5. Mark Oct 26th 2012 at 04:27 am 5

Frazz, because I need a haircut.

6. Kamino Neko Oct 26th 2012 at 05:50 am 6

Ashley of My Cage. Because she is a) a cat, b) a perky goth, c) a hilarious brat, and d) just overall awesome.

(In fact, one of my Champions Online characters is dressed as her all this month.)

7. farmer Oct 26th 2012 at 08:16 am 7

Up until this year, Bubba from the current Judge Parker. Until I cut my hair this spring, I had the same long hair and facial hair, a farm that can’t be seen from any road (not pot, though) and in a mining district, and a red chainsaw (would need to pack on some weight, though). Sadly, no movie producers have yet appeared to offer me money.

8. Dan W Oct 26th 2012 at 08:19 am 8

Don’t know what I would do, but back in high school a friend and I once went as Calvin and Hobbes.

9. John DiFool Oct 26th 2012 at 09:10 am 9

“An adult from Peanuts, because I can dress any way I like.”

Will you carry around a trombone for when people try to have conversations with you?

Me, I’d probably be Lio.

10. John Small Berries Oct 26th 2012 at 09:12 am 10

Hmmm. Of all the comic strips I read, Dr. McNinja would be the most likely candidate for a costume I’d be interested in wearing.

Or Kate Beaton’s take on Isambard Kingdom Brunel (NSFW language).

11. billytheskink Oct 26th 2012 at 09:22 am 11

I want to see the conversation between James Pollock as a Peanuts adult and John DiFool as Lio.

As for me, I could get out my Bible and old sports goggles, shave my head, and go as the white Cortez Beecher. I’d probably spend most of Halloween explaining to increasingly disinterested people who I was, but that can probably be said for any comic strip character that isn’t in Peanuts or Garfield.

12. Kamino Neko Oct 26th 2012 at 09:28 am 12

Wrong link, John Small Berries. Although the quote is quite fine.

13. Catelli Oct 26th 2012 at 09:43 am 13

Arlo, because then I don’t have to go shopping for the outfit.

14. Paperboy Oct 26th 2012 at 12:41 pm 14

Andy Capp, because I do a good cockney accent and I can get as drunk as I want because I’ll be “in character”.

15. minor annoyance Oct 26th 2012 at 01:46 pm 15

Wally from Dilbert. I’m almost there already.

16. CaroZ Oct 26th 2012 at 03:17 pm 16

Rat. So I don’t have to be nice to anyone.

17. John Small Berries Oct 26th 2012 at 03:46 pm 17

Bah. Thanks, Kamino Neko. The link should have gone here.

18. Boise Ed Oct 26th 2012 at 06:31 pm 18

Robin (see this week’s Monty strip

19. The Bad Seed Oct 26th 2012 at 09:28 pm 19

Alice Otterloop (Cul de Sac), or Alice and her Fist of Death (Dilbert), or the son’s girlfriend from Nest Heads, because they are all obviously modeled after me in every way, from appearance to personality.

20. furrykef Oct 26th 2012 at 09:32 pm 20

Hmmm… most likely Davan MacIntire. I find a rather disturbing similarity between myself and Davan.

If I were to pick any costume I wanted, though, I’d probably be a Ghostbuster.

21. furrykef Oct 26th 2012 at 09:59 pm 21

Wrong link, John Small Berries. Although the quote is quite fine.

Ironically, the quote is actually not fine either — perhaps the sentiment is, but it’s misattributed, as it appears in no works of Cicero. In addition, the Latin form is usually given as “Ut conclave sine libris, ita corpus sine anima”, and I think translating “anima” (as opposed to “animus”) as “soul” is questionable (but not indefensible). Perhaps better would be “breath” or “life”.

22. Morris Keesan Oct 27th 2012 at 09:29 am 22

The hat guy from xkcd. Because I own a hat.
    I’d skip the stick-figure part.

23. Inkwell (who is a girl) Oct 27th 2012 at 01:29 pm 23

Hmm, I always do cartoons but never comic strips. I usually do guys, because female character’s designs tend to be defined by shape, whereas guys are nondescript jelly-bellies defined by costume. They’re easier to fudge and more recognizable. (This is less true for comic strips, but meh, Miss Buxley.)

I’m learning to work with foam, so I’d like to do something crazy, like Slylock Fox. If I decided not to look like a furry, then I’d do a horrible crossplay of Mopey Les Moore, smirking all the while. I’d still be manlier then the real thing!

24. Bells-and-Motley Oct 27th 2012 at 04:59 pm 24

I’m a gentleman of nearly sixty years. Mary Worth, of course!

25. Lola Oct 27th 2012 at 08:34 pm 25

Guard Duck from PBS.

26. AMC Oct 27th 2012 at 10:54 pm 26

Arlo - because then I could toss out the double entendre’s all night, and maybe end up going home with Janice.

27. Lola Oct 28th 2012 at 01:42 am 27

Oh, forgot the why part.

Because nobody else will. Originally, I was going to go as hat man from XKCD since I’ve managed to become so svelte, but Morris K. is doing that already and it is just soooooo embarrassing to show up and be the 2nd or 3rd ladybug.

28. waferthinmint Oct 28th 2012 at 02:30 am 28

Henry.
    I wouldn’t have to talk to ANYONE.

29. Dave in Boston Oct 28th 2012 at 06:22 am 29

Perhaps Sam Starfall. As to why, well, it’s a tradeoff between what’s worth doing and what I can get away with.

30. MollyJ Oct 29th 2012 at 07:11 am 30

I was already Wednesday Addams at a party on Saturday night. I have the long braidable dark hair and the sardonic sense of humor already, so…

31. Kilby Oct 29th 2012 at 08:00 am 31

@ MollyJ (30) … so all you needed was the arsenic and the dynamite, right?

32. buzz Oct 29th 2012 at 07:56 pm 32

Ziggy
    no pants
    (him or a croc from Pearls Before Swine, for identical reasons)

33. Rainey Oct 30th 2012 at 11:03 am 33

The buzzard from Little Dog Lost.
    He’s a complex character that never intentionally harms the other characters but has no qualms about benefitting from their misfortunes (especially if it’s the characters’ own fault).