Evs

Cidu Bill on Oct 22nd 2012

evs.jpg

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Evs”

1. Kelex Oct 22nd 2012 at 12:19 am 1

“I heard The Young People using a slang term ten years ago. I will use a variant of it now, thus amusing all who read it.”

Bonus points for the Game of Thrones reference, but still. Whatevs.

2. mitch4 Oct 22nd 2012 at 12:22 am 2

Totes on that, Kelex!

3. James Pollock Oct 22nd 2012 at 12:48 am 3

What IS the opposite of “whatevs”?

4. Jeff S. Oct 22nd 2012 at 01:04 am 4

According to Answers.com… I care a lot. Or, I guess in slang, I carez

5. minorannoyance Oct 22nd 2012 at 01:09 am 5

Evs = Ever; bereft of What it indicates, in this case, Forever or Evermore.

The humour of the piece is derived from logically but counterproductively attempting to convey a sense of wonderment at the eternal with a fragment of a contemptuously dismissive slang coinage.

6. MollyJ Oct 22nd 2012 at 05:27 am 6

So Adam is basically saying, “As long as we’re making stuff up…”

7. mitch4 Oct 22nd 2012 at 07:27 am 7

The placement of “even” in the antepenultimate panel is also somewhat of an innovation in recent casual speech.

8. furrykef Oct 22nd 2012 at 09:09 am 8

mitch4 — I don’t see the slightest thing unusual about it. Where else would you put it?

The first time I encountered “whatevs” was only a couple of years ago at most, and doesn’t feel dated to me…

9. Judge Mental Oct 22nd 2012 at 10:20 am 9

What are we questioning here? The strip acknowledges that “evs” doesn’t make sense. The girl tried to come up with an antonym of “whatevs”, and “evs” was the best she could do. When the boy calls her on it, she realizes her comment didn’t make sense.

10. Elyrest Oct 22nd 2012 at 11:22 am 10

I didn’t think the strip made much sense. I have never heard of whatevs let alone evs. On the other hand it is pretty to look at - nice autumn colors.

11. Mark in Boston Oct 22nd 2012 at 06:37 pm 11

Now if you put “even” AFTER the last word instead of before it:

“Evs? What does that mean, ee-VEN?”

you get Snagglepuss.

12. Mark M Oct 22nd 2012 at 06:46 pm 12

Is this kid actually an offspring of Crankshaft?

13. Lola Oct 22nd 2012 at 07:35 pm 13

Another in this vein is “go with” leaving off the you.

14. Kelex Oct 22nd 2012 at 10:32 pm 14

Furrykef @#8: Maybe I’m wrong, but I associate that kind of talk with the movie Clueless, which came out in 1995.

15. ElizabethB Oct 23rd 2012 at 08:08 pm 15

One of my friends uses “Whatevs” all the time, and I consider her to be one of the cool chicks, since she’s in a band and all LOL. I also saw it just recently on a random Facebook page (you know, one of the ones that one of your friends comments on, that you have no other tie to). So, I am inclined to believe that it is still considered current vernacular…

16. MollyJ Oct 24th 2012 at 04:41 pm 16

@Lola - I grew up in the Chicago ‘burbs in the 70’s and 80’s. I had a high school English teacher who was from the South, and he pointed out then how strange the (what he said was Midwestern) habit of leaving off the “you” sounded. (e.g. “You’re going to the mall? I want to go with!”)

17. jen jen the big wet hen Nov 1st 2012 at 01:59 pm 17

whatevsubrary is a month in winter?