Um… HOW old is Cruz supposed to be exactly?

Cidu Bill on Oct 19th 2012

1961.gif

Filed in Baldo, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Um… HOW old is Cruz supposed to be exactly?”

1. J-L Oct 19th 2012 at 12:09 pm 1

Some cartoon character’s rooms are so messy for so long that they actually contain fossilized dinosaur bones. Clearly the room can’t be that old — it’s just that messy.

The same thing is happening here, but the lack of exaggeration makes the cartoon a little more confusing, as 1961 isn’t that prehistoric of a date.

2. James Pollock Oct 19th 2012 at 12:32 pm 2

Not as old as he’d be if he referred to her as Farrah Fawcett Majors.

3. Kilby Oct 19th 2012 at 12:33 pm 3

Is Baldo trying to imply some sort of connection between the revolting nature of a pinup poster and an ancient (used) diaper?

4. Jeff S. Oct 19th 2012 at 01:29 pm 4

I just asked my 15 yr old daughter if she knew who Farah Fawcett was or what Life Magazine was. Her reply was, “Obviously, Life is a magazine… and Farah Fawcett was in that famous movie… (I interrupted and said, TV show, and she continued,) TV show.” I know Cruz is a bit older than my daughter, but I was born in 61, and I NEVER had a 61 Life Magazine in my room… although I might have had a FF poster.

I believe the writer is close to my age, and just assumes everyone knows and uses the same references that he does.

5. minor annoyance Oct 19th 2012 at 02:18 pm 5

The most interesting reference I’ve seen in Baldo was his aunt recalling a vacation in Mexico with a romantic tour guide. It was an extended tribute to Gordo, the comic strip that ended in 1985 and, sadly, hasn’t been reprinted since Gus Arriola’s half-collection, half-memoir several years ago.

6. Mark in Boston Oct 19th 2012 at 07:55 pm 6

Life is that humor magazine from the 1920’s with pictures by John Held and stuff.

7. DemetriosX Oct 20th 2012 at 06:02 am 7

@4 Jeff S.
    Farah Fawcett was in a famous movie, too: Logan’s Run. I actually had to think for a minute to remember what the TV show was, but then I didn’t watch it.

I think much of the implication here, aside from the usual finding really old stuff joke, is that Cruz comes from a long line of hoarders. That would explain the diaper as well as magazines and pin-up posters from before he was born.

8. Kamino Neko Oct 20th 2012 at 07:48 am 8

Fawcett was actually in a number of famous movies…only a couple of of them good (Myra Breckenridge, Logan’s Run, Dr T and the Women, depending who you ask), of course, but still…

9. Kamino Neko Oct 20th 2012 at 07:50 am 9

And, yes, it’s clearly Cruz’s family as a whole, not just he himself that’s like that.

10. Jeff S. Oct 20th 2012 at 10:17 am 10

Farrah Fawcett had a cameo in Logan’s Run. The female lead was Jenny Agutter. Farrah WAS the female lead (well… the ONLY female actor) in another sci fi movie a few years later, Saturn 3, and she was the female lead in The Cannonball Run, and Extremities, but the body of her work was on TV — Charlie’s Angels, The Burning Bed, and several reoccurring spots on several shows.

11. Fred C. Oct 20th 2012 at 11:26 am 11

I’d be more worried about his morbid obesity and frightful fashion choices than his antique magazines.

12. CaroZ Oct 20th 2012 at 01:13 pm 12

No CIDU tag, so maybe explanations aren’t needed, but…
    …I think the joke is that Cruz’s room is so messy that there are actually things in there that are older than he is.

13. DemetriosX Oct 20th 2012 at 03:38 pm 13

@10 Jeff S.
    Farah Fawcett’s role in Logan’s Run was a bit more than a cameo, but to hear a lot of people talk, she was practically the female lead. Jenny Agutter, OTOH, kickstarted my puberty in that movie.

14. Elyrest Oct 20th 2012 at 05:02 pm 14

“Jenny Agutter, OTOH, kickstarted my puberty in that movie.”

DemetriosX - I have heard that same comment from more than one guy. I will admit that Agutter is quite appealing, but I had the hots for Michael York. Ever since I saw him as Tybalt in Romeo & Juliet I thought he was dreamy - in that dreamy adolescent girl way. Sigh!

15. Bob Oct 20th 2012 at 07:53 pm 15

“but to hear a lot of people talk, she was practically the female lead”

DemetriosX - I first saw Logan’s Run on TV while in college - probably during or just after the first season of Charlie’s Angels - and the way the Network (whichever one it was) promoted it, anyone who hadn’t seen it thought she was the lead.

16. Jeff S. Oct 20th 2012 at 08:00 pm 16

Until they saw it and said, “Wow… That’s all? She was barely in it.”

17. George P Oct 20th 2012 at 10:05 pm 17

I don’t remember if there was any outright nudity in Logan’s Run, although there could have been, since it was made in the ’70s, when that was the norm (there was significant nudity in Zardoz), but there was plenty of side nudity in Logan’s Run. Agutter’s outfit was open from armpit down.

Fawcett’s role was very minor, although it was promoted heavily. She was the assistant at the plastic surgeon, right? It may have been filmed before her Charlie’s Angels (and poster) fame, and they were cashing in (as with Mark Hamill in Corvette Summer).

I’ve been told that the Carousel building has been torn down but the fountain at the end still exists.

18. James Pollock Oct 21st 2012 at 01:01 am 18

I can assure you that Logan’s Run did have full nudity; there’s a skinny-dipping scene after they get outside the City, just after the duel with Cyborg-sculptor Box. I believe there was some quick partial nudity while Logan is using the future’s version of chatroulette.

For anyone that cares, the movie changed the ending of the book by a LOT. In the book, there IS a sanctuary, and it’s in space, and runners do reach it. Further, a key character is Ballard, the man who’s lived a double-lifetime because the clock in his hand was faulty when installed and never turned red. He has a secret identity which I won’t spoil.

Finally, in other random trivia bouncing around in my head, there was a spinoff TV series. It did not do well.

19. George P Oct 21st 2012 at 06:36 pm 19

I keep getting the movie and the book confused, since I saw it and read it almost forty years ago. In the past few years I rewatched the movie and was surprised that there were no wild animals in DC. That must have been in the book.

The age was also 21 in the book, which I guess the movie producers thought was too young to cast for.

At least they didn’t change the whole emphasis of the book, as they did with Soylent Green. (Was there nudity in that movie, too? There should have been, given the time it was made.)

20. George P Oct 21st 2012 at 06:37 pm 20

(I don’t think there was any in Silent Running, but only because there were no women in it.)

21. Jeff S. Oct 21st 2012 at 08:10 pm 21

I haven’t seen Silent Running in YEARS, so I looked it up on IMDB. There are several more people in it than I remembered. I knew Bruce Dern was in it, along with Huey, Dewey, and Louie (the three drones), but that was all. I wonder how it holds up…

22. George P Oct 21st 2012 at 08:21 pm 22

Not that well. The special effects using miniatures are great, if you like that sort of thing, which isn’t surprising, since it was written and directed by the guy who did the effects for 2001.

The movie reeks of Earth Day and those green Ecology flags and all that other post-hippie environmental movement stuff. I don’t mean there’s anything wrong with environmentalism; I mean this movie is firmly anchored in the early ’70s, right down to the Joan Baez song.

The miniature work of the “external” shots in Logan’s Run are also terrific.

Star Wars changed the way miniatures were used by using cameras on arms that moved around the models, so the effects in these movies look a little dated, but they were well designed and well executed.

23. Meryl A Oct 24th 2012 at 02:00 am 23

Husband and I are in our late 50’s. We are always amazed that others of our age do not remember entertainment celebrities from the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s as we do having watched them in movies, heard their music, etc. with our parents.

I think the idea is that Cruz finds old things and keeps them. Fawcett poster is attractive to young guys no matter when and might have her name on the poster.

I think Fawcett was either in Gumball Rally or one of the Cannonball movies.