CIDU or Arlo?

Cidu Bill on Aug 28th 2012

snug.gif

Without “I like it,” this makes perfect sense. With it, I don’t see any non-Arlo interpretation, and then the third panel doesn’t really make sense.

Filed in Adam at Home, Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “CIDU or Arlo?”

1. AMC Aug 28th 2012 at 09:48 am 1

She likes tight pants that show off the junk in his trunk.

2. yellojkt Aug 28th 2012 at 09:48 am 2

He’s gotten fatter, not turgid.

3. Philip Aug 28th 2012 at 09:50 am 3

I read the “I like it” as “I like the suit”, i.e. “I like it anyway”, not “I like that it’s tight”. And that makes the third panel read “the humidity in the closet is making it shrink and thus too tight”. And she kindly replies “of course, it couldn’t possibly be that you are gaining weight”.

4. yellojkt Aug 28th 2012 at 09:52 am 4

In the third panel he is hypothesizing that his suit has shrunk and she is agreeing with him. She’s just lying to him the whole night in hopes of getting laid.

5. UXO Aug 28th 2012 at 09:56 am 5

I think Philip’s got it. Don’t get me wrong, I saw the Arlo too - but I don’t *think* it was intentional.

6. docdonn Aug 28th 2012 at 10:01 am 6

… the most likely explanation for the third panel, i.e., “…no other explanation” is that she is secretly taking his pants in by a fraction on an inch each night to either A) drive him to starve himself to death, so she can remarry prince valiant, or B) split his pants whenever he bends over to add some physical humor to the comic strip

7. fj Aug 28th 2012 at 10:14 am 7

I read it the same as Philip: “I like it” = “I like it anyway”

However, I would say that it is possible that the a double entendre was intended, and the final panel is making fun of that possibility.

8. J-L Aug 28th 2012 at 11:26 am 8

English comic strips are usually read from left-to-right. This applies to word bubbles, too: If there’s more than one word bubble, usually the left-most one is the one that is supposed to be spoken first.

But occasionally cartoonists slip up, and I think the second panel here is one where you’re supposed to read Laura’s word bubble before Adam’s. It could be that it’s just sometimes very difficult drawing bubbles “chronologically” — the artist could draw the panel with the characters switched, or with the word bubbles crossing, but that can be too much trouble. Sometimes it’s easier to let the reader figure out what’s supposed to be read first.

(That’s not the only slip up: Adam’s word bubble in the last panel should end in a question mark.)

9. John Small Berries Aug 28th 2012 at 01:34 pm 9

I don’t know if I agree with the “switched word bubbles” interpretation. Usually when the rightmost character speaks first, the speaking order is indicated by placing his or her speech bubble higher than the other character’s; yet the man’s speech bubble begins above hers (in addition to being on the left-hand side). And it doesn’t seem to make as much sense (as a natural-sounding conversation) if the order is swapped.

On another note, the contents of their statements in the first panel are interesting. While his compliment is aimed at her per se, her return compliment addresses his clothing: not “You look dashing”, which would indicate an attractive quality inherent in him as a person, but “that suit makes you look dashing”, implying that it is only by means of external assistance that he can become attractive. (I realize that the writer was simply setting things up for the discussion of the fit of the suit, but still, ouch.)

10. Jeff S. Aug 28th 2012 at 02:50 pm 10

Actually, I read it the same way as j-l, with her speaking in continuation from the first panel. I also agree with Philip as to the meaning of the strip.

The only thing that makes it seem like an Arlo to me, is the fact that she is looking away from him, as if to see if anyone else is looking at Adam’s “twig and berries”.

11. Mark in Boston Aug 28th 2012 at 11:16 pm 11

OK, now that it’s been explained (”The suit is getting a little snug”, “I like the suit, it still makes you look dashing”, “Do you think it’s the humidity”, “Well the explanation can’t be that you’re getting fat”), it’s just not as funny as when I was misinterpreting it.

12. mitch4 Aug 29th 2012 at 07:36 am 12

I’m joining the chorus in agreeing with Philip #3.

13. Ledasmom Aug 29th 2012 at 08:36 am 13

My interpretation is that, basically, he’s admitting to a bit of a belly, and she’s reassuring him that it’s not that noticeable or not unattractive.
    “Dashing” seems like a slightly old-fashioned word to use, though it is a quality distinct from “handsome”, or “sexy”, or anything else I can think of - is there a modern equivalent to “dashing”?

14. Elyrest Aug 29th 2012 at 12:11 pm 14

Ledasmom - I’ve always liked the word dashing, but I doubt I’ve used it for years. It does seem dated, but it’s a great word.

15. Meryl A Sep 4th 2012 at 01:52 am 15

Let’s tie this to the later comic about women looking in the mirror at their rear. (I am reading these after you and therefore, backwards in time.)

It is the same idea. Husband’s lie about how women’s rears look to make the wives happy and women lie about why the husband’s pants are tight to make the husbands happy.