WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (9597) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Sunday Funnies - LOL June 24

Sunday Funnies - LOL June 24

on Jun 24th 2012

oot.gif

peeing.gif
Lola:

sqee.gif
Morris Keesan:

balloon.jpg

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (9597) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (9597) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 41 responses so far

41 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL June 24”

1. AMC Jun 24th 2012 at 12:11 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

This demonstrates that it is hard to read comic scans of Native aMetacans.

2. Kilby Jun 24th 2012 at 12:25 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think the second one (audible pee) would have been more appropriate for a Saturday (ewww) than a Sunday (funnies).

3. Dave Jun 24th 2012 at 02:32 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Some of the squeegee ‘bums’ earn quite a bit of cash… if you pick a busy intersection, how many light changes per hour? .. 1-2 cars per change @$2 each.. go home with a bucket load of gold. mind u, they can keep it… doesnt look like much fun.

4. Ooten Aboot Jun 24th 2012 at 05:59 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

You just threw the Laundromat one in to see if I’d comment, eh? Technically there is no such thing as a Canadian quarter. It’s officially a twenty-five cent piece, not a “Quarter Dollar”. That’s at least as much an LOL as the Rhymes with Orange cartoon.

5. mitch4 Jun 24th 2012 at 08:44 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yeah, the Bizarro is pretty great as a meta. OK, not the first to make speech balloons and thought balloons into (in some fashion) physical balloons, but here done really nicely!

6. James Pollock Jun 24th 2012 at 10:03 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Technically there is no such thing as a Canadian quarter. It’s officially a twenty-five cent piece, not a ‘Quarter Dollar’. ”

Look, we Americans may be collectively stupid with regards to adopting the metric system, but this one’s on you.
    “twenty-five cents” is 25/100.
    “One quarter” is 1/4.
    Basic math: 25/100 = 1/4
    Thus, if it’s a “twenty-five cent” piece, it is ALSO a “quarter”.

7. Alexandra Erin Jun 24th 2012 at 10:44 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

So Canadians only call their money by its official mint designation? Loonies.

8. AMC Jun 24th 2012 at 01:35 pm 8

Hmn. When I put “Canadian Quarter” into Google, I get:

“About 61,900,000 results (0.19 seconds)”

Apparently, even the Toronto Star doesn’t know that Canadian 25 cent pieces aren’t called “quarters”:

The Mint has created its first glow-in-the-dark coin, a quarter featuring a dinosaur discovered near Grand Prairie, Alta. in 1973.

In the light, the quarter features the Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai dinosaur, named after Al Lakusta, the man who stumbled on its bones in the Pipestone Creek bonebed.

9. Keera Jun 24th 2012 at 02:07 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Ooh, glow-in-the-dark money! That’s actually practical.

10. Soup Dragon Jun 24th 2012 at 04:33 pm 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Loose Parts: You’re doing it wrong. The condensation will be on the inside.

11. guero Jun 24th 2012 at 09:54 pm 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I agree with you, Soup Dragon. Once I figured out what was going on, my only thought was that it doesn’t work that way.

I absolutely loved the Bizarro. Easily one of my top 10 comics for 2012.

12. Singapore Bill Jun 24th 2012 at 10:17 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, I can confirm that we do refer to them as “quarters” up here in the Great White North.

FYI, the glow-in-the-dark quarter is not being issued for circulation. It is only available as a collector issue and at a substantial premium over face value. I think it’s something like thirty bucks.

13. Mark in Boston Jun 24th 2012 at 11:24 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Well, there’s no such thing as a “nickel” or a “penny” either, Canadian or American.

Take a nickel out of your pocket. Does the word “nickel” appear on it anywhere? No, just “Five Cents”.

A “penny” was an obsolete British coin worth 1/240 of a pound sterling, now replaced by the “new penny” worth 1/100 of a pound sterling. The similar American coin is the “one cent piece”.

14. George P. Jun 24th 2012 at 11:50 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Another thing that doesn’t appear on US coins is a numerical value. The dime and quarter don’t even have it in text.

15. Ooten Aboot Jun 25th 2012 at 12:15 am 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Well that stirred the pot. I did say “technically” and technically I was correct, colloquial usage and the Toronto Star notwithstanding. The U.S. coin is officially called a “QUARTER DOLLAR” - it says so right on its face. The Canadian coin says “25 cents” on the reverse. Similarly, the U.S. coin marked “ONE DIME” has a Canadian counterpart marked “10 CENTS”, while the “HALF DOLLAR” corresponds to the rarely seen Canadian “50 CENTS”. The U.S. coins have names that go back to the Coinage Act of 1792; the Canadian ones have no official names other than their respective values in cents.

16. Another BF Jun 25th 2012 at 05:52 am 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Classic Droopy. Start at 3:08.

“Five cents.”

“A nickel. …… five cents.”

17. CaroZ Jun 25th 2012 at 08:57 am 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bizarro has a causality problem, no?

18. NitricAcid Jun 25th 2012 at 07:10 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

We Canucks are far more likely to refer to our coins (however improperly) as nickels, dimes, and quarters than we are to say “oot” or “aboot” for “out” or “about”. Things only rhyme with “boot” in the Nova Scotian dialect, which most of us don’t use (any more than every American speaks like a Bostonian).

19. DPWally Jun 25th 2012 at 07:27 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’d have proposed the squeegee bum one for a geezer award. Has anyone under 40 seen one?

(When the scruffy guy jumped onto our hood and smeared mud on the windshield my parents were annoyed, not scared. Otherwise it would have been scary to me.)

20. Cidu Bill Jun 25th 2012 at 07:50 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

On Friday Night Lights, it was always amusing when Taylor Kitsch, a Canadian actor playing a rural Texas teenager, occasionally let loose with an “aboot.”

21. Kilby Jun 25th 2012 at 10:55 pm 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Keera (#9) - Larry Niven wrote an amusing article called “Yet Another Modest Proposal”, in which he argues that the most profitable way to dispose of radioactive waste is to simply mint coins out of it. The advantages include accelerating the economy (everyone will spend their money as fast as possible), stopping theft (pickpockets would have to wear lead-lined gloves), and easing international development (foreign aid could be delivered by ICBM).

@ DPWally (#19) - I’ve never (ever!) before seen (or heard of) a squeegee grifter smearing mud on a windshield (although I’m sure it must have occurred), but I have seen (recently, even) decent individuals offering squeegee jobs at intersections in Berlin.

P.S. A few years ago there was a short fad of street artists who would do short juggling routines during the red-light phase, and then pass the hat for donations (in Germany they had the advantage that the typical street light has a noticeably longer cycle than in the U.S.)

22. Meryl A Jun 26th 2012 at 01:17 am 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Nickels used to be made of same, and it was a nickname for the 5 cent piece due to same. (As if a dollar coin were made of brass and you said that’ll be a brass.)

British pennies were much larger than US pennies and were further divided into half pennies (ha’pennies) and farthings (quarter pennies).

In the 18th century (and before) coins were literally worth their weight in whatever they were made of. On accepting a coin it would commonly be weighed to make sure the coin was full weight and value. The cuts around the edge of many coins is called milling and was put on coins to prevent the edges from being shaved down as it would be obvious if it had been done. For change one would cut the coins with a chisel and give back whatever was over the value of the item purchased. One cut cut coins in half (half dollars, pounds, francs etc.), quarters (quarter dollars…), and eighths (bits). Hence 2 bits is a quarter. The common coin here in “the colonies” was the Spanish Dollar. Write an S over a D and you get a “dollar sign”.

23. mitch4 Jun 26th 2012 at 01:48 am 23

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

and do you suppose two bits was ever the real price of a shave and a haircut?

24. Keera Jun 26th 2012 at 04:30 am 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Thanks, Kilby @21! That Larry Niven bit* is funny.
    *) Not meant as a monetary value.

25. Kilby Jun 26th 2012 at 06:44 am 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Meryl A (22) - Nickels were never pure nickel, but (at least in the U.S.) they still contain 25% nickel. This may change in the future, but up to now the only exception was during WWII, when a different composition was used to save nickel for strategic purposes. And there is no conclusive derivation of the dollar sign ($) - multiple theories abound.

@ Keera (24) - Glad you were able to find it (I decided against linking to the one copy of the text that I found online, because the URL seemed a little doubtful).

26. George P Jun 26th 2012 at 06:58 am 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

NitricAcid, Americans use “oot and aboot” because we can’t make the vowel sound that many Canadians use in those words. It’s maybe halfway between how we say it and “oot”. It’s the closest we can get.

From conversations I’ve had I don’t think a lot of Canadians can hear the difference, but Americans can. It really is there, and it really is distinctively Canadian. I think it’s mostly an eastern thing, like in Ontario; I don’t hear it often from British Columbians.

I can’t say the “ch” sound in “Ich” and “Loch”, so when I attempt to say them I’m wrong about how Germans and Scots talk. This is the same kind of thing.

27. Kilby Jun 26th 2012 at 10:36 am 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ George P (26) - When I was first learning German, I had a lot of trouble with “ich”. I finally mastered it when I had a cold with a very sore throat; the swelling made it easier (although somewhat painful) to close the gap between tongue and the rear palate.

28. NitricAcid Jun 26th 2012 at 12:27 pm 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

When I was in university, I took a course in German, and the prof harped on the proper way to pronounce “Ich”. I struggled, and struggled, and finally mastered the sound that he wanted to hear.

Then I moved to Germany, and everyone I met- Wessies, Ossies, Bavarians- they all pronounced it “ish”.

29. DPWally Jun 26th 2012 at 01:26 pm 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Kilby (#21): In New York City in the 1970’s, the standard squeegee practice was to clean the windshield without the driver’s consent, or despite the driver’s protest, then ask for money.

This particular guy had to wipe the windshield between windshield wiper strokes, which my father had turned on to discourage him. I don’t think it was his intention to wipe mud on the glass, he just hadn’t cleaned the rag in a while.

30. Cidu Bill Jun 26th 2012 at 01:30 pm 30

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

As I recall, DPWally, the windshield wiper ploy was discouraged, because it often led to the wiper bades being ripped off.

Street corner “windshield washers” were often less men offering a service than small-scale muggers.

31. Mark in Boston Jun 26th 2012 at 11:51 pm 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Canadian nickels used to have so much nickel in them that they would be attracted to a magnet. I don’t know if that is still the case.

32. Treesong Jun 27th 2012 at 12:13 am 32

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

CaroZ: IOACS, but if you want causality, imagine that the thought balloon is about a speech balloon prior to the one shown.

GeorgeP: Try starting the diphthong from a more central position, like the vowel of ‘up’ rather than the vowel of ‘ha’. uh-oo, not ah-oo. It starts a bit further back, actually, but closer than a plain ‘oo’.

33. George P Jun 27th 2012 at 08:40 am 33

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’ll keep practicing. Something I think I am very close.

I can already say “progress” the Canadian way.

34. Elyrest Jun 27th 2012 at 11:02 am 34

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“I can already say “progress” the Canadian way.”

Isn’t that mainly putting the emphasis on the first syllable rather than the second and dividing the syllables another way? Pro-gress versus prog-ress? (Now that I’ve written that I’m even confusing myself.) I grew up around a number of Canadians and we got a Hamilton, Ontario TV station so I’ve never questioned any accents. My relatives in Connecticut talked much odder than Canadians.

35. NitricAcid Jun 27th 2012 at 12:22 pm 35

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Canadian pennies currently have enough iron in their cores to be magnetic.

36. George P Jun 27th 2012 at 06:26 pm 36

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Putting the stress on the first syllable AND saying a long “o”, like “protocol” instead of “roger”.

I toured the Canadian mint eleven years ago (the one in Winnipeg) and learned that they only use the one in Ottawa for “collectible” coins (they may make the glow-in-the-dark ones there). They were making aluminum coins for a foreign countries when I toured. Apparently outsourced coin production is a big part of their business. Aluminum is big for coins in other countries, apparently. I guess it’s cheap, and the weight probably cuts down on shipping charges.

37. George P Jun 27th 2012 at 06:27 pm 37

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Oh, Guess Who I heard as a guest DJ on the radio when I was in Winnipeg?

38. fj Jun 27th 2012 at 08:10 pm 38

@George P, #37
    Burton Cummings?
    Randy Bachman?

@NitricAcid 18…

I suppose it all depends on one’s ears…

In the past, I spent a good chunck of time in both the Toronto and Edmonton areas, and also worked a bit with a company in British Columbia. It seemed to me that 1) accents were surprisingly uniform across a big chunk of Canada, and 2) that most Canadians did say “oot” and “aboot” (or at least had a “ow” vowel sound that that before certain hard consonants sounded more like a long OO (as in noon) to me than it did OW (as in wow)). That was twenty years ago, though, so perhaps things have changed.

I do recall almost bursting out in laughter when I heard someone say “the ROOTer has a ZED-80
    migh-croh-PROH-ses-sore.” It was all too much for one sentence. But I imagine my “ROUT(rhymes with kraut)-er has a ZEE-80 migh-croh-pros-sess-ser” probably would have sounded wrong to my collegues, as well.

And on the subject of coins, I still enjoy the memory of the coin-operated video game in the Edmonton airport that had a sign on it that said “Loonies Only.”

39. Kilby Jun 27th 2012 at 08:14 pm 39

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

On pronunciation, in the Pacific Northwest there’s an alternate way of saying the name of the car manufacturer “Mazda”, which is probably also used in British Columbia - but I don’t know if it is generally Canadian. Instead of “Mahs-da”, there they say “Mehzz-da” (my “eh” spelling is only an approximate rendition of the vowel).

This regionalism is so pervasive that Mazda advertisements were released in separate versions, with the jingle sung in the corresponding pronunciation.

P.S. @ George P (36) - The only aluminum coins I’ve ever encountered were from East Germany and Italy (Lira). They aren’t just cheap to make, they also feel cheap and worthless in your hand.

40. George P Jun 28th 2012 at 11:16 am 40

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think that’s why they just make them for the export market.

Yes, it was Burton Cummings I heard on the radio. He had brought a bunch of records from home, so it was an oldies afternoon.

Here’s the other joke I made up about Canada:

You know that big hill between Winnipeg and Calgary?

Just kidding.

41. NitricAcid Jun 28th 2012 at 01:59 pm 41

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@39 I’ve lived in BC for the past ten years, and bought (or, according to you guys, “boot”) my current car from a Mazda dealership, and have never heard anyone say “Mezz-da”.