Pope

Cidu Bill on May 9th 2012

pope.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, CIDU, Free Range, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Pope”

1. Kilby May 9th 2012 at 12:29 am 1

This comic would have been much more effective if the dialog had been limited to just the question in the first line. The ham-fisted repetition in lines two to five is utterly unnecessary.

2. Mike May 9th 2012 at 12:42 am 2

Agreed with Kilby.

3. Stan May 9th 2012 at 01:54 am 3

Seconded.

4. James Pollock May 9th 2012 at 03:43 am 4

The Pope’s hat is white, so he’s a good guy, right?

5. Proginoskes May 9th 2012 at 04:37 am 5

@ James Pollock: In some cultures, white is viewed as the color of evil.

I was expecting something a bit racier in the dialog on the left-hand side while I was reading it, like “There’re seven Indians and a WHAT? … Sounded like you said trigger …” (or something along those lines).

6. mitch4 May 9th 2012 at 07:45 am 6

I was so distracted by the feeble text, that it wasn’t until coming back to this later that I noticed the main joke — that only the head decorations are showing over the ridge.

7. Powers May 9th 2012 at 09:08 am 7

@Proginoskes: Yes, but not in the culture depicted.

8. Daniel J. Drazen May 9th 2012 at 10:07 am 8

It’s like they took the joke out back and beat it to death before including it in the word balloon.

9. Winter Wallaby May 9th 2012 at 10:22 am 9

OK, I feel pretty stupid asking this, since the consensus seems to be that the joke is way too obvious and overdone, but what’s the joke? Is it just that you wouldn’t expect the pope’s hat sticking out with the Indian hats?

10. David May 9th 2012 at 10:39 am 10

Winter Wallaby - the joke is what mitch4 (6) said. The convention is that in the old west fights, you can only see the cowboy hats or Indian feathers sticking out from cover. The joke is the cowboys looking out and seeing something unexpected with the feathers. The unjoke is tortured dialog trying to take the sight gag further than it needs to go.

11. Soup Dragon May 9th 2012 at 10:40 am 11

Winter #9: Yes, I guess so. At first glance, it looks like just another Indian feather.

12. mdt48302 May 9th 2012 at 11:14 am 12

That’s not a “pope’s hat.” It’s a bishop’s mitre. The pope wears a three-tier crown (except when he’s acting as Bishop of Rome).

Still not funny.

13. Timothy P. Callahan May 9th 2012 at 12:24 pm 13

Reading the comments leads me to believe I’m the only one who thought this was kind of funny.

14. Dr. Shrinker May 9th 2012 at 01:55 pm 14

I feel the opposite of Kilby (#1) - I think leaving off the first 2 sentences would have made it funnier, as the reader would have to notice the hat and figure out the missing word.

15. Don May 9th 2012 at 02:09 pm 15

The last pope to wear a triple tiara was Paul VI, who died in 1978. The pope normally wears a simple white skull cap called a “zucchetto”, but for formal occasions wears a bishop’s miter as seen in the (unfunny) cartoon

16. Brian May 10th 2012 at 01:26 pm 16

I got a chuckle out of the mitre sticking out among the feathers. Your mileage may vary.