Sunday Funnies - LOL April 29

Cidu Bill on Apr 29th 2012

stpeter.gif
gone.gif

juryselection.gif

Lola:

2b2e91c06581012f2fdb00163e41dd5b.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Free Range, Heaven, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, St. Peter, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL April 29”

1. John DiFool Apr 29th 2012 at 06:48 am 1

Then why does the fake “tree” even have a face in the first place?

2. Charles Apr 29th 2012 at 06:59 am 2

And branches.

3. Organic Marble Apr 29th 2012 at 08:05 am 3

Admittedly it’s bizarre, but I have seen cell phone towers faked up to look like trees. There was one in the UNCC area of Charlotte, NC.

4. George P Apr 29th 2012 at 08:58 am 4

If real trees have faces then it follows that fake ones could, too.

Fake tree cell phone towers have branches. I haven’t seen any myself (that I have noticed, anyway), but I just found a lot of pictures searching the Web.

5. The Bad Seed Apr 29th 2012 at 09:12 am 5

The cell phone towers intended to look like trees are always way more ugly and attention-grabbing than unadorned cell towers, which my mind generally magically erases from most tableaux. I don’t think I can even tell you where 2 stand-alone cell towers are located (ones that weren’t already there as something else), but I pretty much remember the exact location of every dumb, ugly faux-tree one I’ve ever seen. The tallest and thickest one I ever encountered was on top of a little hill right next to the road, and had “branches” from the top all the way to the bottom - and just looked like a huge dirty, nasty pipe cleaner. Hopefully people stop throwing money away in a misguided attempt at disguise that only creates eyesores.

6. The Bad Seed Apr 29th 2012 at 09:25 am 6

p.s. Looking on-line, I found a lot of passable faux-trees out west, where they don’t have to be very tall and some companies have pretty decent facsimiles of evergreens and palms. But here in the hilly northeast, this is more like what we end up with: http://www.herald-mail.com/news/local/hm-cellphone-tower-pines-to-blend-in-near-eastern-boulevard-20120212,0,587894.story - and that’s not even as bad as most I’ve seen, but you get the idea. I can’t figure out why people would rather see this kind of eyesore than a plain silver pole.

7. MollyJ Apr 29th 2012 at 09:29 am 7

When is a tree that tall ever “new?” Jerry must be incredibly stupid.

8. Judge Mental Apr 29th 2012 at 09:39 am 8

Having never seen a “fake tree” cell tower before, when I first saw this, I had assumed the telephone pole was off panel to the left. Given that revelation (and the fake tree’s straight trunk), I do realize I was incorrect.

I do think it would have worked better if the fake tree didn’t have a face. Admittedly, real trees do not have faces either, but they are alive. I also know personification of inanimate objects is a regular convention in Argyle Sweater, but that would have been a way for the reader to discern the difference, even if Jerry failed to recognize it.

9. Morris Keesan Apr 29th 2012 at 11:20 am 9

Bad Seed #6: Peripheral to the discussion: Living in New England, it amuses me to see somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line referred to as “the … northeast”. I sometimes have a bit of an internal mental double-take even when I hear New Jersey referred to as the northeast.

10. Elyrest Apr 29th 2012 at 12:43 pm 10

I think the Argyle Sweater tree comic would have worked better if the “face” we saw in the cell phone tower tree was just swirls of bark that resembled a face.

11. Elyrest Apr 29th 2012 at 01:00 pm 11

Morris Keesan (9) The labels that are applied to areas of the country are a little wacky to me too. I grew up in Pennsylvania, which is a mid-Atlantic state, but I lived nowhere near the ocean. When I lived in “upstate” New York I lived within 15 miles of the southern boundary of the state. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay area it was considered northern California. Then I moved over 300 miles north, a 6+ hr. drive, and you’re still (?!) in northern California. I live in Ohio which is considered the mid-West, but I live in NE Ohio not that far from Pennsylvania which was the mid-Atlantic, but really wasn’t. Our country is so large that these labels are only mildly helpful.

12. David A. Rooney Apr 29th 2012 at 01:40 pm 12

So basically, Jerry is chatting up the arboreal equivelant of a transvestite?

As for St. Peter, well he is good at denial. “No, sorry, I don’t see your name on the list of ’saved’. You’ll have to take the express elevator down.”

13. Lola Apr 29th 2012 at 03:33 pm 13

I really, truly did laugh out loud at the tree one, but if asked to tweak it, the facial features on the fake tree would have been like the blow up er, personal use, doll with the “O” mouth.

14. The Bad Seed Apr 29th 2012 at 05:24 pm 14

Morris Keesan, I was referring to my home state of Pennsylvania as being in the northeast US, and we are definitely above the Mason-Dixon line, as much as that may pain some people. Actually, for me it’s easy to discern the northeast US from the southeast US, even if you just plunked me down in some random place. Part of it’s accent, part of it’s speed of talking and speed of life, part of it’s how people treat strangers, what brands of stores they have, how many car horns you hear, and part of it’s intangeable, but I’ve traveled up and down the east coast - as well as certain other parts of the country - enough to know the difference without a map or compass.

15. Morris Keesan Apr 29th 2012 at 05:35 pm 15

Bad Seed, you may have been referring to Pennsylvania, but the article you cited was about a tower in Hagerstown, Maryland, which is on the wrong side of the line (by Google maps, the northernmost point of
    Eastern Boulevard appears to be 4 to 5 miles south of the M-D Line).

16. Cidu Bill Apr 29th 2012 at 07:27 pm 16

We have one of those cell towers disguised as a tree, and I always thought of it like a bad toupee: everybody knows it’s an obvious, ugly fake, and I’m embarrassed for whoever it was who thought otherwise.

17. buzz Apr 29th 2012 at 08:15 pm 17

Los Angeles has plenty of faux tree cell towers, including some done up to look like palm trees (which are a tad more convincing than deciduous or pine trees).

re St Peter: Bennet Cerf told a joke about dreaming he and died and gone to Heaven, where he found Marilyn Monroe sitting on Groucho Marx’s lap. Cerf said, “I’m happy to see you got such a beautiful eternal reward, Groucho.”

And Groucho said: “Reward, my ass. I’m her punishment.”

18. Mark in Boston Apr 29th 2012 at 11:43 pm 18

Heaven is Martha’s punishment too. According to Mahler’s Fourth Symphony, Martha does all the cooking for everybody in all of heaven. (Martha was the sister who washed the dishes while Mary discussed philosophy and religion with Jesus in the other room. As if that in itself wasn’t punishment enough for Martha.)

19. guero Apr 30th 2012 at 02:08 am 19

According to the link provided by The Bad Seed @5, they are called “stealth monopoles” or “monopines”. I had always referred to them as pinus telefonicus, but as buzz @17 pointed out, here is SoCal they are just as likely to be fake palm trees, so that moniker doesn’t quite fit.

20. George P Apr 30th 2012 at 07:41 am 20

I googled pictures of fake tree cell phone towers, and I was struck by how short they are.

I don’t think it’s flat land that leads to them being that tall, because the towers in Illinois are huge, and California isn’t flatter than corn country. Maybe they just have a lot more of them, so they don’t need to cover as much land. Or maybe local laws restrict how tall they can be.