Animal Crossdressers???

Cidu Bill on Apr 26th 2012

cross-dressing.jpg

Got nothin’ here. Less than nothin’, in fact.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, New Yorker, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Animal Crossdressers???”

1. James Pollock Apr 26th 2012 at 12:22 am 1

Now everyone at work is going to know that these two, who had been carrying on a secret romance, are involved. (Because they both work at Serengeti Enterprises, I guess.)

2. fuzzmaster Apr 26th 2012 at 12:28 am 2

Yes, JP has it — because they showed up at work in each other’s clothes/skins. Though you’d think the zebra’s suit wouldn’t make it all the way up the giraffe’s neck, while the giraffe’s suit would be kinda baggy around the collar on the zebra.

3. James Pollock Apr 26th 2012 at 01:22 am 3

Clearly, they’re quite stretchy.

4. Tom T. Apr 26th 2012 at 06:47 am 4

Technically, this means they’re both “furries,” and I wouldn’t want that getting out at work.

5. George P Apr 26th 2012 at 08:20 am 5

Since they’ve noticed, can’t they just switch back?

6. Mark M Apr 26th 2012 at 08:27 am 6

If the joke is just that they dressed in the other’s clothes as can happen after a fling, then why is the zebra complaining? It was his/her choice? KInd of like a guy wearing a dress to work and then saying “Great, now everyone will know I’m a crossdresser.”. I could buy that as the joke if it was just the giraffe dressed as the other.

7. The Bad Seed Apr 26th 2012 at 09:25 am 7

Everyone will know they’re sleeping together, which is the kind of thing that some of us like to keep quiet until we’re pretty sure the relationship is serious and going to last. But the potential joke falls flat for me because of the cartoon physics of the skins magically fitting totally different animals, plus why they don’t just switch back, but mostly the mental image of what actual animals look like after they’ve been skinned. Blech, not sexy.

8. tdcjames Apr 26th 2012 at 10:34 am 8

Maybe the spots/stripes are supposed to be the symptoms of STDs, not clothes? (Yeah, I’m reaching here.)

9. Judge Mental Apr 26th 2012 at 11:14 am 9

I think this is an example of a joke everyone “got”, (yes, they are sleeping together and everyone will know due to the “clothes” mix-up) but even when applying cartoon physics, it was still hard to resolve the logistics (how do they exactly swap hides, and if it can be done, why can’t it be un-done?)

10. Gavin P. Apr 26th 2012 at 12:36 pm 10

Yeah the cartoon would have been so much better with a little more effort. Have the skins be ill-fitting, and have the two emerging from a maintainence closet or bathroom at the office, with a few co-worker on-lookers. “Great, now everybody knows.”

11. Matthew Apr 26th 2012 at 01:17 pm 11

Yes, it’s a joke on two co-workers having a fling and then accidentally wearing something by the other into work. The joke really doesn’t work very well, but it was from THE NEW YORKER, so it wasn’t supposed to be… Wait, no, I never said that! No, no! Don’t remove my comment! For the love of all that is good and sacred, I beg of you!!!

12. James Pollock Apr 26th 2012 at 01:30 pm 12

They can’t just switch back because it’s too late… they went to work already and are just now figuring out why everyone looked at them funny all day.

13. ty Apr 26th 2012 at 01:30 pm 13

If cartoon evolution could create two animals of different species that would want to have sex together, and then discuss it afterward in perfect English, then I’m sure it can figure out how to have them swap hides painlessly and maintain perfect fit. It could even figure out why they would need to remove their hides in the first place.

14. Paperboy Apr 26th 2012 at 06:41 pm 14

Even in the Cartoon Universe, with balloon shavers, there has to be a humorous aspect. But the idea that animals remove hides to have sex is gruesome.

15. Morris Keesan Apr 26th 2012 at 06:46 pm 15

What bothers me the most about this cartoon is that the zebra’s left foreleg looks oddly misshapen. It looks so wrong that I had to go check to make sure that zebras’ front knees bend in that direction.

16. David A. Rooney Apr 26th 2012 at 06:49 pm 16

No crossdressing need be involved - these could be two gay co-workers.
    Or the equivelant of two people who discover they wear the same size jeans - only hers have some kind of girly design on the back pockets. They overslept, rushed into work and only now notice the error.

“Geoffy and Zeby sittin’ in a tree! K-i-s-s-i-n-g! . . .”

17. George P Apr 26th 2012 at 10:01 pm 17

James Pollock, the tense of the verb is wrong for that. If they were already at work and people had seen them, then he or she would have said, “Now everybody at work knows”.

For “everybody at work is going to know” to make any sense then they can’t know yet.

OK, unless ONE person saw them, so everybody doesn’t know but will once the rumor starts.

In that case it may be a coworker that saw them outside the office and the issue isn’t that they had sex but that they like to change clothes and go to kinky bars. Or somewhere.

18. Mark in Boston Apr 26th 2012 at 11:05 pm 18

I’ve read all the comments and I STILL don’t get it. First of all, do people really notice whose clothes are whose at work? Do my co-workers know that I have four pairs of slacks, 16 shirts and three pairs of shoes — do they actually keep track? Would they even notice if I wore a shirt that buttoned on the female side? I wouldn’t notice if someone else did that. (Although I did notice one day when a woman wore a blouse that buttoned on the female side, except for one button, which was unbuttoned and showed the female inside. I’m sorry to say I was too embarassed to let her know about it and I don’t have any idea how one goes about that anyway.)

19. The Ploughman Apr 26th 2012 at 11:23 pm 19

I must be in the minority, but I didn’t see them referring a sexual encounter. I thought they were at some sort of embarrassing convention that required dressing up (furry, group sex, Star Trek, take your pick). They were enjoying themselves in anonymity until, dammit, co-worker giraffe spots (stripes?) him and now he’ll be outed at the office. Of course there’s not much to back this up as the cartoon gives woefully little context.

20. The Ploughman Apr 26th 2012 at 11:25 pm 20

My grammar is deplorable in that previous post. Apologies.

21. MollyJ Apr 28th 2012 at 09:49 am 21

David @ Rooney @14 - Geoffrey was the little kid giraffe in the Toys R Us commercial. Are you telling me he’s now all grown up, has a job, and is in a relationship?

Now I feel old.

22. David A. Rooney Apr 29th 2012 at 01:50 pm 22

We don’t wanna grow up.
    We’re all Toys R Us kids.
    There’s a million toys at Toys R Us
    that we never had as kids.