Sunday Funnies - LOL April 15

Cidu Bill on Apr 15th 2012

cement.jpg

chainsaw.gif

mime.gif

restroom.gif

future.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, Free Range, New Yorker, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 32 responses so far

32 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL April 15”

1. mitch4 Apr 15th 2012 at 12:26 am 1

All amusing, but none were quite LOL for me.

a couple days ago i heard a character in a TV show or movie pronounce “massacre” like “massa-cree”. Nobody else in the scene seemed to consider it an odd pronunciation. But I don’t think I had heard it that way since Arlo Guthrie sad it like that in “Alice’s Restaurant”.

2. Scrub Ninja Apr 15th 2012 at 01:55 am 2

I don’t get the snake one.

3. PeterW Apr 15th 2012 at 03:01 am 3

The snake one has a few amusing secondary jokes, but I don’t understand why it’s funny that the snake is dropping out to be a mime.

4. Charlene Apr 15th 2012 at 03:13 am 4

How the heck could a snake mime anything?

Of course, one could also ask how a snake dons a jaunty beret.

5. Seth Finkelstein Apr 15th 2012 at 03:59 am 5

@Charlene - “how a snake dons a jaunty beret” - using his tail to pick it up? Or grab in mouth, put half-on, half-off, a shelf, and then put head under it and lift off shelf on head. Some sort of “V” shaped angled hook would probably work well. Presumably keeping it balanced while moving around is part of the skill of being a snake-mime (the bad ones likely cheat using adhesives).

6. Proginoskes Apr 15th 2012 at 04:57 am 6

Finally … a New Yorker cartoon that made me smile.

I’ve been waiting for an explanation for the snake cartoon since Friday. I guess I will have to continue to wait.

C&H: “Not impressed. We’ve got phones that do things like that!”

7. Olpera Apr 15th 2012 at 06:44 am 7

The boy-snake is aiming for the easiest way out. - A snake has no problem with keeping a straight face!

8. Keera Apr 15th 2012 at 07:52 am 8

The chain saw massacre made me LOL. Yes indeedy. The rest made me smile/chuckle - except the snake one. I don’t get it. What’s funny about snakes mimicking humans? More to the point… Oh, wait, I think maybe I do understand: The basket in the picture. Snakecharmer snakes mime all the time. They mime climbing a rope. Sort of…

PS: Hats off to Seth @5 for figuring out how to get a beret on a snake. :-)

9. David A. Rooney Apr 15th 2012 at 08:25 am 9

Ok, Seth, how does mommy snake tie on her apron?

10. Detcord Apr 15th 2012 at 08:51 am 10

… and how does Daddy snake tie his … tie, or light his pipe. Not gonna happen! PeterW(3) hit the nail on the head and good repost David A.(9).

Sorry, none of these were LOL’s for me - but I admit I’m a hard case. The chain-saw massacre got a slight smile, and the first thing I thought of with the first cartoon was, “block head!”, but that’s as far as it went. :(

11. farmer Apr 15th 2012 at 09:01 am 11

Is the hidden joke in the snake one, that not only did he drop out of college to be a mime, but he’s not even very good at it (given that he’s talking)? If he were serious, he’d mime the news and demonstrate his skill in justification of the decision. That’s what made me laugh. Like some kid coming home saying “I’m going to be an artist” and showing some gosh-awful painting.

12. Mark M Apr 15th 2012 at 09:15 am 12

I think the joke is that a snake can never be a good mime because of a lack of arms and legs, so the kid’s proclamation is absurd. The classic mime acts, like pulling a rope or being stuck in a box would certainly be ineffective. On the other hand, there would be more obvious ways to make the joke, like dropping out tobe a trapeze artist.

It took me awhile to get the first one because I thought that was a paper sack on his head, as may be done to ensure the victim can not identify the kidnappers.

13. Jeff Apr 15th 2012 at 09:25 am 13

The “chainsaw massacre” joke has been done before:

14. zbicyclist Apr 15th 2012 at 10:14 am 14

The top cartoon reminds me of that old Viking reminder: “Pillage THEN burn!”

15. Matthew Apr 15th 2012 at 10:35 am 15

I agree with Mark M (#12) about the snake joke. I found it the funniest of this crop, but I also enjoy the expressions that Piraro draws and his Marx Brothers-like world.

16. Mark in Boston Apr 15th 2012 at 12:00 pm 16

I suppose the snake could do a “Garden of Eden” mime act, then “Being Driven out of Ireland”.

17. padraig Apr 15th 2012 at 12:27 pm 17

Geez, nobody has kids in college? It’s a play on the old nightmare of your kid coming back from expensive engineering or business school and saying, “I’m piddling away all the money you spent on my practical college education to (insert activity that the kid has no talent for and/or doesn’t pay anything).”

You could have a short white accounting major saying he’s quitting school to join the Harlem Globetrotters and it’d be the same joke.

18. Elyrest Apr 15th 2012 at 12:31 pm 18

After looking at the snake mime comic I saw this (truth is stranger than fiction) in today’s San Francisco Chronicle in the Matier & Ross column:

**The San Francisco Entertainment Commission is looking into the idea of sending out squads of mimes to help put the lid on loud late-night revelers. Commissioners got the idea from the “Pierrot de la Nuit” (”Night Mime”) program in Paris, which sends mimes into 15 neighborhoods. According to the arts website Artinfo, the clowns “use language, theater and dance to raise awareness among residents, bar-owners and night owls about noise pollution.” There is a similar program in Barcelona. “I’m a little bit nervous about having something published about this,” said commission Executive Director Jocelyn Kane. “We’re just in a little bit of exploratory phase at this moment about whether it could work or should work.” One suggestion: You might want to put them in bulletproof vests.**

Snake mimes would probably work better.

19. James Pollock Apr 15th 2012 at 01:18 pm 19

Why snake “mime” is funny: Snakes are already incredibly quiet The exception, being the rattlesnake and various hissing, both of which are used naturally only to warn bigger animals away from the nest. So what’s the difference between a snake that’s naturally quiet, and one that’s doing mime? Apparently, the facepaint and jaunty beret are it.

20. Scrub Ninja Apr 15th 2012 at 03:47 pm 20

All these explanations for the snake comic are really reaching. None of them match the comic and none of them are funny.

It can’t be that snakes are naturally quiet. These snakes talk.

It can’t be that snakes are bad at mime because they lack limbs. Any snake that can manage clothing and household objects can do fine without limbs.

It can’t be just the basic premise of dropping out of college to do something dumb. First, a simple reference like that doesn’t qualify as a joke or a punchline. Second, if that were the joke, what would snakes have to do with it?

I’m filing this under LOLIDU.

21. NoAlias Apr 15th 2012 at 04:35 pm 21

I don’t find the snake comic particularly funny, but to respond to some of the other comments - Lowly Worm (Richard Scarry) never had much trouble with his shoe or hat, so I don’t think the snakes should have much trouble either. And while a snake mime might have some difficulty portraying ‘trapped in a box’ or ‘pulling a rope’, he could do a pretty credible job of ’slithering against the wind’ or ’sitting on invisible chair’.

22. James Pollock Apr 15th 2012 at 10:16 pm 22

I disagree that a snake mime would have trouble with either “trapped in a box” OR “pulling a rope”. In fact, I think snakes are far more experienced with being trapped in an invisible box than are people. As for “pulling a rope”, the snake has a rather obvious prop, which I guess is considered cheating by classic mimes, but, well, you work with what you have.

23. Proginoskes Apr 16th 2012 at 02:42 am 23

@ padraig (17): Yes, we all know that. We’re trying to figure out why the snakes wants to be a mime and not, say, a guitar player.

24. Proginoskes Apr 16th 2012 at 02:42 am 24

@ Proginoskes (23): He could always play bassssssssssssssssss…

25. Brian Apr 16th 2012 at 04:22 am 25

I laughed at the snake one, but I don’t know why!

26. padraig Apr 16th 2012 at 10:06 am 26

If he were a rattlesnake he could be a persussssssssssionist.

27. The Ploughman Apr 16th 2012 at 02:37 pm 27

The snake, of course, is delightful because he is wearing a hat. End of discussion.

28. Mark M Apr 16th 2012 at 03:12 pm 28

It could also have something to do with the fact that snakes are already one of the most disliked creatures. What could make the snake even more loathed? Becoming a mime of course!

29. J-L Apr 16th 2012 at 05:45 pm 29

Do you remember the comic strip “U.S. Acres” by Jim Davis (creator of Garfield) and Brett Koth? One cartoon had a worm dressed up as a mime demonstrating “climbing up stairs” and “blowing in the wind.”

The worm had no limbs (though, interestingly, he had teeth), but I thought he did a good job of miming those actions. So when I saw the snake cartoon, I saw nothing wrong with him wanting to be a mime.

So I figure a snake could be a successful mime. He could do a great “pretzel,” “plumber’s snake,” or “rolled lump of clay.” He just needs a great imagination, and he’ll do fine.

30. Lola Apr 16th 2012 at 11:44 pm 30

The snake mime I found hilarious. I imagined him taking Slithering, Coiling and Rearing Up 101, Advanced Posturing & Striking…. etc. and all of those classes would have prepared him quite nicely for miming the same things.

31. Charlene Apr 17th 2012 at 01:20 am 31

Is there such a thing as a jauntless beret?

32. Elyrest Apr 17th 2012 at 08:39 am 32

Charlene - After Monica Lewinsky all berets were jauntless.