Jimmy Johnson says that what Janis actually asked for is irrelvent to the gag

Cidu Bill on Apr 13th 2012

voice.gif

But it isn’t to us, is it?

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Jimmy Johnson says that what Janis actually asked for is irrelvent to the gag”

1. Arthur Apr 13th 2012 at 02:19 am 1

The joke is that voice recognition is not perfect and can lead to humorous possibilities. In
    that context, what she says is irrelevant.

As for your comment, it’s similar to how radio can be better than TV. What we imagine is likely better than anything that he can come up with.

2. Sari Everna Apr 13th 2012 at 03:48 am 2

Obviously it was peanuts.

3. Kamino Neko Apr 13th 2012 at 04:24 am 3

I don’t think the gag needs the exact details to work.

However I did come up with one.

‘Bag of ice’ => ‘box of mice’.

4. mitch4 Apr 13th 2012 at 07:24 am 4

I respectfully disagree. I think it absolutely needs to have a good possible answer that we can reconstruct with some degree of confidence. Not necessarily obvious and not necessarily beyond dispute, but still at least one combination of asked-for/transcribed that is both plausible and amusing. Without that, it is IMO a flop.

5. Catlover Apr 13th 2012 at 07:35 am 5

“Hamburgers” -> “Hamsters”
    “Steaks” -> “Snakes”
    “Gerbers” -> “Gerbils”
    “White rice” -> “White mice”
    “ground hog meat” -> “groundhog meat”?
    “toothpicks” -> “Mali uromastyx”?

6. Daniel Apr 13th 2012 at 08:02 am 6

Not to let Johnson completely off the hook (the joke would be a lot funner if we could tell what she asked for by what Arlo thought it was), but have you ever seen (can I say this here?) “Damn You Auto Correct!” What the phone thinks you said may well bear NO relation to what you actually said.

7. mitch4 Apr 13th 2012 at 08:24 am 7

I like the suggestions (here and on the Arlo&Janice blog) involving ice/mice. It helps if the word”some” is in there so the m sound can transfer — “some ice” into “some mice”. That would also accord with the air holes.

8. Powers Apr 13th 2012 at 09:01 am 8

I suspect Johnson just wanted to avoid trying to come up with a plausible but funny combination that readers hadn’t heard before. (Such a thing may not exist.) So I can’t blame him. But without it, it’s just not that funny.

9. Soup Dragon Apr 13th 2012 at 10:22 am 9

So that’s a pet store, all right. But what’s up with the dorky-looking petshop boy with mousy teeth?

10. Kedamono Apr 13th 2012 at 10:41 am 10

Gee, and here I thought she said “Arlo, remember to pick up some hamsters for dinner tonight.” Hamsters = Hamburger

11. Lalas Apr 13th 2012 at 10:51 am 11

I love the suggestions, but I think the joke also works w/o a distinctly decipherable intended item. He did a great job of not going overboard, where the items are extremely obtuse just to be funny, but then have no request that can be guessed. He could’ve gone nuts and had donkeys, strippers and jars of peanut butter.

12. Elyrest Apr 13th 2012 at 11:57 am 12

I agree with Arthur that the imagination is better than the truth. That way we can make what Janis asked for as weird or kinky as we want.

Daniel - I have seen people write “Damn You Auto Correct!” . They always seem to include it in a comment after something that could’ve been corrected though. I do understand where it comes from, but I’m curious if people just leave the mistakes for the humorous effect.

13. chemgal Apr 13th 2012 at 03:11 pm 13

Elyrest, I think Daniel @6, was trying to direct us to a website: http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/

14. Elyrest Apr 13th 2012 at 03:32 pm 14

chemgal - I thought that Danial was referring to that website that’s why I said I understood where it comes from. I was commenting on people’s use of the term “Damn You Auto Correct!” when they could have corrected what they were damning. I’ve seen it here on CIDU. A comment has a funny mistake and in the same comment it says “Damn You Auto Correct!”.

15. Swordsmith Apr 14th 2012 at 07:53 am 15

I like this as a puzzle.

I really can’t think of anything better than “some ice”, but auto correct seems capable of much weirder leaps; some mice would work on voice mail.

We’re limited here to things that would go in a small box with holes in it; whatever the text said would have to be alive, available in pet stores, and fit in that size box.

You wouldn’t ask for “a mitten” and you wouldn’t put a pair of kittens in a box that small.
    “A snake” isn’t very specific, even though “a steak” is reasonable.
    You wouldn’t ask for “a” hamburger, you wouldn’t ask for a pound of hamsters
    You wouldn’t ask for “some” hamsters, you wouldn’t ask for 3 hamburger.
    There’s no way you could fit multiple dachshunds in that little box, and you wouldn’t ask for “a” hotdog… besides this wouldn’t be an auto correct error.

16. Matthew Apr 15th 2012 at 10:37 am 16

I respectfully disagree with Jimmy Johnson on this matter, and I wonder what he had, perhaps inchoately, in mind.

17. John Small Berries Apr 15th 2012 at 11:13 pm 17

Elyrest, sometimes people are paying so much attention to their phone’s virtual keyboard that they don’t notice autocorrect’s “help” on the words they’ve already typed. Just the other day, I typed a message to my boss which included the word “autoloader”, which I didn’t notice the phone had changed to “poledancer” until after I’d already sent it.

So of course the natural next step is to assure the recipient that the offending word was autocorrect’s fault, and not what you had intended to type.

18. George P. Apr 16th 2012 at 05:51 am 18

The natural next step would be to turn off autocorrect.

19. Kamino Neko Apr 16th 2012 at 07:50 am 19

So…ah….jes’ what kinds of conversations you havin’ that make your autocorrect think ‘poledancer’ is a reasonable guess as to what you meant?

20. DPWally Apr 16th 2012 at 11:57 am 20

A voice recognition or auto-correct joke can work even if we don’t know everything, but *something* has to make sense. It doesn’t here.

Best I can figure - she asked him to pick up “pets”, but the text said to pick up “petz”.
    It’s not plausible, even in the comic strip universe, that she asked him to pick up pets on the way home. “Petz” hasn’t made it to the list of things I’ve heard of but don’t know what it is, so it’s too obscure to take as generally understood. From a quick search it looks like that’s an internet game/app/virtual pet, not something he could pick up in a store.

21. Elyrest Apr 16th 2012 at 01:55 pm 21

John Small Berries - I thought I had explained my question well, but I guess I haven’t because you aren’t explaining what I’m asking. I understand the whole “Damn You Auto Correct!”. What I was questioning, and am sorry I did, was why I had seen comments, and there have been some here on CIDU, that include something silly that auto-correct would have done and then “Damn You Auto Correct!” in the same comment. It’s not a follow-up comment - the person is aware of the mistake and posts it anyway, but comments on the mistake while making it. I think they are just joking, but I thought someone would say that. Instead I keep getting explanations for what I already understand.

22. Mark in Boston Apr 16th 2012 at 05:53 pm 22

What are the corrections based on? Frequency of word use? Markov chains (i.e. the word following “kiss my …” is more likely to be “lips” than “lisp”)?

If so, who is typing all those naughty words that autocorrect likes to helpfully use for us?

23. mitch4 Apr 16th 2012 at 06:03 pm 23

Elyrest — I did understand your question, but had no response except to nod along with your puzzlement. To venture a guess, I suppose it’s a matter of seizing the opportunity to be amused — they could go back up and correct it before Submitting, but instead leave it intact for fun and point it out to share.

24. Meryl A Apr 17th 2012 at 02:16 am 24

Pez?

25. Lola Apr 17th 2012 at 05:56 pm 25

My best guess is some form of rice/mice. Pick up some rice or white rice, but, since it’s a pet shop, definitely not wild rice.

26. Mark M Apr 18th 2012 at 01:09 pm 26

Maybe this has been covered before, but is it true that Arlo and Janis were named after two big names at Woodstock?