Heroes

Cidu Bill on Apr 10th 2012

heroes.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, New Yorker, comics, humor | 33 responses so far

33 Responses to “Heroes”

1. Kilby Apr 10th 2012 at 04:22 am 1

Actually, Bill has offered a number of quite good New Yorker cartoons in recent weeks. This one, albeit creepy in the tradition of Charles Addams, does not continue the trend, it is simply and inscrutably unfunny.

P.S. Explaining it doesn’t help, either. It’s probably a twisted reference to the unrecoverable human remains deposited in the ground in and around the World Trade Center.

2. James Pollock Apr 10th 2012 at 05:20 am 2

Well, not necessarily a WTC reference. Just about every high-rise has people who were killed during construction who might be imagined to be interred in the sub-basement.

3. Lost in A**2 Apr 10th 2012 at 06:29 am 3

Yeah, but that looks like an elevator car.

4. Soup Dragon Apr 10th 2012 at 06:30 am 4

No WTC. This is the remains of Spongebob and Spongebarb after their excessive long trip on dry land. And some third guy, to the left, with a humanoid rounded skull.

5. George P. Apr 10th 2012 at 07:04 am 5

People who were trapped in the elevator? But why all the dirt?

6. chuckers Apr 10th 2012 at 07:59 am 6

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

7. mark d Apr 10th 2012 at 08:22 am 7

Dry humor. The office world is a pretty barren environment. Some people don’t make it out alive.

8. Matthew Apr 10th 2012 at 09:30 am 8

I agree with Mark D (#8): well said.

9. Morris Keesan Apr 10th 2012 at 12:26 pm 9

Maybe a not-very-good entry in a New Yorker caption contest?

10. mitch4 Apr 10th 2012 at 03:07 pm 10

Hmmmm, I was checking back to this thread to get the right spelling of user Prognoses (not quite like that, was it?) and it seems his habitual “New Yorker cartoons are not funny” posting has been deleted. That renders Kilby’s reply (NOW at #1) a little mysterious…

11. Keera Apr 10th 2012 at 03:08 pm 11

I just passed my 29th anniversary at work. Some of my co-workers have been with our company as long as 40 and 50 years. (I have a shot at 40, myself.) There may be something heroic about sticking it out for decades in this day and age where the bottom line matters more than employee satisfaction.

12. Kilby Apr 10th 2012 at 04:27 pm 12

@ mitch4 (10) - I agree. One questions the moderator’s judgement at one’s own peril, but in this case I definitely was not interested in the #1 spot, and besides, the original #1 comment was (at least this time) right on the money.

P.S. The name you’re looking for is “Proginoskes”.

13. Winter Wallaby Apr 10th 2012 at 07:44 pm 13

If Proginoskes previously #1 should be deleted, then shouldn’t all comments that refer to it be deleted as well, particularly as some of them let us reconstruct what was in that comment? Please delete my comment ASAP after I submit it.

14. MollyJ Apr 11th 2012 at 12:11 am 14

I’m with mark d #7. I think maybe they just worked themselves to death. Some gave all.

Not that that’s funny or anything.

15. Proginoskes Apr 11th 2012 at 02:37 am 15

Yes, I was censored.

16. Proginoskes Apr 11th 2012 at 02:39 am 16

Also, if a comment is deleted, it throws off the numbering. (Matthew looks like he’s agreeing with himself in post #8.) (Apr 10th 2012 at 09:30 am)

17. Proginoskes Apr 11th 2012 at 02:39 am 17

Splitting this up to maximize the changes of not getting censored.

18. Proginoskes Apr 11th 2012 at 02:39 am 18

And I still don’t think there’s a joke here.

19. Cidu Bill Apr 11th 2012 at 03:47 am 19

Every time I post a New Yorker comic, somebody writes “It’s a New Yorker comic. It’s not supposed to be funny.” About one-third of the time, somebody writes “Every New Yorker comic can be explained with ‘Christ, what an asshole.’” After 16 years, that gets old. And it adds nothing to the discussion. So now I just delete those comments for the common good.

20. fj Apr 11th 2012 at 07:36 am 20

I actually found it quite funny, in a dark sort of way. But that may say more about my former employer than it does the cartoon. Here’s my interpretation.

The guy entering the elevator is heading “upstairs” (i.e., to senior management) to pitch some idea– presumably a good one– but the path is littered with the remains of those who went before him. His friend attempts to encourage him by declaring that those predecessors died a hero’s death. That encouragement tries to overlook the fact that they all failed, and our new hero’s fate is unlikely to be different.

It’s hard to change the course of the Titanic, when all they do is give you a spoon and tell you to row really fast…

21. Matthew Apr 11th 2012 at 08:50 am 21

I respect Bill’s reason for the deletion. It is interesting that anyone who would read the snide remark about THE NEW YORKER might think “Christ, what an asshole”. It does throw off the numbering, but we are probably bright enough to figure out what happened. Other than simply leaving the snideness, Bill, can you delete the comment but leave up the person’s moniker & the comment’s original number, as do the N.P.R. blogs? We would then get a complete history of the commentariat on each strip. The students will need this for forthcoming dissertations on comments & comics.

22. Matthew Apr 11th 2012 at 08:54 am 22

My previous comment awaits moderation because of brief use of a vulgar epithet (just call me Candiotti!).

I did want to add to Proginoskes’s remark (#16, currently–it may be gone in an instant, a comments’ Rapture) that I usually agree with myself–well, sometimes; well, I try to, anyway–, but I seldom address myself by other names–well, not often anyway. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

23. Elyrest Apr 11th 2012 at 12:15 pm 23

Bill - If you delete the “It’s a New Yorker comic. It’s not supposed to be funny.” comments you save me the from replying that I like New Yorker comics and do find them funny. Yep, it’s better not to get into that again.

It must be ironic. ;-)

24. zbicyclist Apr 11th 2012 at 02:29 pm 24

I think FJ’s explanation makes the most sense, although there should be more of a cue that they are headed up to the executive offices. (#20, unless further deletions occur)

25. Mark M Apr 11th 2012 at 03:47 pm 25

Maybe it’s just me, but if I was picking the comics to post and someone made the same snide remark every time a comic from a specific source was posted, I would more likely think “maybe they have a point” rather than “this is getting old and I’m deleting the post”. Now if it’s the same person making the snide remark every time, that’s a different story.

26. Elyrest Apr 11th 2012 at 04:19 pm 26

Mark M - People don’t have to post on comics they have no interest in or dislike of. There are subjects/comics that come up in this forum over and over that I just either don’t read or skim lightly. Every now and then I wade in on one of them and, almost always, regret it.

27. Kilby Apr 11th 2012 at 07:27 pm 27

As far as deleting comments goes, it is (of course) Bill’s decision. Initially I was going to complain that this policy was imposed without warning, but I did a little research, and now have a new opinion on the subject.

I think it depends on the formulation used. There is a crucial distinction between “all XYZ cartoons are not funny“, and an alternative expression “This specific cartoon appeared in XYZ, so I’m not surprised that it is not funny.” Given that the comic that we are discussing here is in fact not funny (in the slightest), I understood Proginoskes’ original #1 comment to mean the latter expression, but the actual statement was probably closer to the wording cited by Bill (@19).

Since the blanket objection can be taken to mean “I hate everything by XYZ”, it falls under the prohibition specifically stated in the second sentence of the CIDU FAQ). I therefore retract my (unstated) objection about “not being forewarned”.

28. Proginoskes Apr 12th 2012 at 03:56 am 28

I don’t hate every New Yorker comic. I just don’t find them funny, and can’t think of a funny one right off. Of course, all of that could change tomorrow.

A quick check shows I haven’t saved any New Yorker comics on my hard drive.

I *do* have both volumes of the Rejection Collection — and some of those show up occasionally here — and I like a lot of those.

29. fj Apr 12th 2012 at 09:57 am 29

@24, Zbicyclist

I agree that even if my interpretation is correct, the comic does a poor job of setting up the joke. I don’t think it really works as a 1-panel comic.

30. jp Apr 12th 2012 at 08:02 pm 30

But, Bill — New Yorker cartoons *aren’t* supposed to be funny! They’re supposed to be high-brow: if you have to ask, you shouldn’t be reading the New Yorker.

31. Proginoskes Apr 14th 2012 at 04:36 am 31

This one’s so high-brow, the hair’s in the stratosphere …

*rim shot*

32. BoT Apr 16th 2012 at 09:32 pm 32

I thought it was hilarious. But I think the phrase “Heroes all” is intrinsically funny.

33. Matthew Apr 17th 2012 at 11:34 am 33

If THE NEW YORKER is highbrow, then things have fallen far. THE NEW YORKER has always been the epitome of middlebrow. This is not a slur, merely a classification in an admittedly arbitrary schema.

Many NEW YORKER cartoons are very funny. Even this one has a surreal amusement. If it had been multi-panel, it might hold more explanation, but it would lose the charm of the mystery.