Who are this kid’s parents — Jiggs and Maggie??

Cidu Bill on Mar 2nd 2012

marriage.gif

I mean seriously… where did this comment come from?

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Who are this kid’s parents — Jiggs and Maggie??”

1. Powers Mar 2nd 2012 at 08:47 am 1

Yep, stereotypical wives throw stuff at their no-good husbands.

2. George P Mar 2nd 2012 at 09:15 am 2

Shouldn’t they be playing dodgefryingpan, then?

3. thwgt Mar 2nd 2012 at 09:38 am 3

If you can dodge a frying pan, you can dodge a ball.

4. James Schend Mar 2nd 2012 at 10:21 am 4

… who are Jiggs and Maggie?

I’m disturbed by how the characters never move, but the stain/shadow on the wall behind them does.

5. yellojkt Mar 2nd 2012 at 11:02 am 5

thwgt,
    Thanks for the best laugh of the morning.

6. Elyrest Mar 2nd 2012 at 11:12 am 6

Maggie and JIggs were a couple in a comic that I read in my childhood - and it was old then. “Bringing Up Father” was about an Irish/American married couple, Maggie & Jiggs, who come into money. It involved him wanting to consort with his old cronies and her wanting to upper-crust. He snuck out and drank and gambled and she yelled and threw things at him.

Bill’s right - where would Adam’s kid see this stereo-comical version of marriage? Not at home as his parents don’t fight.

7. Kamino Neko Mar 2nd 2012 at 11:20 am 7

Oh, Adam and Laura do fight…it’s just minor and playful verbal fights, not serious physical stuff, so, no, there’s no real reason for Clayton to think dodgeball is good marriage training.

8. Elyrest Mar 2nd 2012 at 11:27 am 8

Kamino Neko - That’s not fighting, that’s “discussing”. ;-)

9. Daniel Mar 2nd 2012 at 12:40 pm 9

Perhaps “The Lockhorns” would have been a slightly more contemporary comparison. Slightly.

10. Cidu Bill Mar 2nd 2012 at 12:48 pm 10

I don’t remember ever seeing any domestic violence in The Lockhorns.

I do remember a Medium Large strip that reveals the Lockhorns actually died years ago, but are still sitting a the dinner table bickering.

11. Tiberseptim Mar 2nd 2012 at 03:07 pm 11

The little bullseye on the kid + the punch line leads me to believe that his home life consists of throwing/shooting things at one another on a regular basis. If he thinks dodgeball is training for marriage, it’s cause his parents damn well want him to feel that way.

12. James Pollock Mar 2nd 2012 at 03:08 pm 12

If it’s actual domestic violence you wanted, the comic strip reference should have been Andy Capp.
    (or possibly Beetle Bailey… )

13. R2T Mar 2nd 2012 at 04:03 pm 13

domestic violence in Beetle Bailey? I never knew Sarge and Beetle were officially a couple ;)

14. Mark M Mar 2nd 2012 at 04:17 pm 14

Yes, this is one that the author probably should have sent to Mort Walker to use with Beetle Bailey. Speaking of which, that strip has everything one could ask for in a comedy strip - violence, an alcoholic womanizing general, a sargeant with an overeating problem, the stereotyped dumb guy with buck teeth, and an Asian soldier whose eyes of course are drawn as slanted lines.

15. Cidu Bill Mar 2nd 2012 at 04:34 pm 15

Mark, you forgot the sexy, objectified woman.

16. George P Mar 2nd 2012 at 04:47 pm 16

Speaking of which, the Lockhorns isn’t all about bickering at the dinner table. Sometimes they are at a ’60s cocktail party where the wife is making a snide remark to another woman about the husband, who is in the background chatting up a cute young woman.

17. Mark in Boston Mar 2nd 2012 at 05:29 pm 17

I just thought of a non-violent but very Arlo interpretation of “hurtling projectiles” from husband to wife.

18. Charlene Mar 2nd 2012 at 05:52 pm 18

@George P: You forgot the wife is a backseat driver/crashes the car regularly and the husband drinks too much. Oh, and the wife is a bad cook. It’s like every bad relationship joke that was beaten to death in 1952 coming back to life sixty years later.

Yet the Lockharts still get published while great new artists fail to break in.

19. Jeff S Mar 2nd 2012 at 09:10 pm 19

All I remember about Jiggs and Maggie (besides their constant fighting) is their iris- and pupil-less eyes (like Little Orphan Annie’s) creeped me out. Enough so, that I really couldn’t read the strip. The funny thing to me is, I remembered his name, but I didn’t remember her name at all.

20. Kilby Mar 2nd 2012 at 11:16 pm 20

I didn’t recognize Bill’s title either, but if you search for Jiggs and Maggie on Wikipedia, the article reveals that after the original artist died (in 1954!), King Features took “Bringing Up Father” away from his long-time assistant, gave it to an outsider, and kept the zombie alive (through several more cartoonist changes) for 46 years (!), until 28 May 2000 (for a total run of 87 years). The Lockhorns won’t turn 46 until 2014, and their existence as a legacy strip won’t reach that age until 2034.

21. Bells-and-Motley Mar 3rd 2012 at 04:24 am 21

Oh, PLEASE!–All you people whining about not getting the Jiggs and Maggie reference! I got it right off . . .
    What was that? . . . Why, I’m 57–you do you ask?
    What? . . . Well, no–I never actually read it myself, but my parents used to talk about it when they complained about why the comics weren’t as good as they used to be . . .
    Oh, never mind. I’m going to take my Geritol and go to bed now.

22. AMC Mar 3rd 2012 at 09:34 am 22

Clearly, this is a reference to the need to dodge eggs being ‘thrown’ at a dart board.

The frying pan comes later in the process.

23. Woodrowfan Mar 3rd 2012 at 01:23 pm 23

next week, jokes about Mom spending too much money shopping! Cutting edge humor I tell you, cutting edge!

24. Morris Keesan Mar 3rd 2012 at 03:56 pm 24

Jiggs and Maggie were in one of those strips that I didn’t read, because it ran in the other newspaper (Boston Herald instead of the Boston Globe), but like lots of other pop-culture things, I knew about it because of seeing it parodied in Mad magazine.