Do they even TAKE reservations at Olive Grden??

Cidu Bill on Jan 8th 2012

aviary-seattlepi-com-picture-1.png

And Connie has a really low threshold for frustration, doesn’t she? She wouldn’t last a week as a parent.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Olive Garden, Zits, comics, comics strips, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Do they even TAKE reservations at Olive Grden??”

1. Powers Jan 8th 2012 at 09:01 am 1

Olive Garden doesn’t take reservations; you can call ahead before you get there to get in a virtual line but that’s it.

And yeah, Connie really should have hung up and made sure the guest list was finalized.

2. mitch4 Jan 8th 2012 at 09:23 am 2

Some of the pan-pizza places around here not only take reservations but encourage you to pre-order if you’re getting a stuffed pizza. It took me a while to realize this is more about their interest in turnover than customer convenience.

3. Bob Ball Jan 8th 2012 at 09:56 am 3

On the other hand, there must be a lot of households where Jeremy wouldn’t last a week.

4. Peter W Jan 8th 2012 at 10:35 am 4

If they take reservations at Red Lobster, they take them at Olove Garden. It’s a midlevel sit-down restaurant, not garlic butter-slathered gutter trash.

5. Jeff S Jan 8th 2012 at 12:38 pm 5

I think they take reservations for special events.

6. Bob Jan 8th 2012 at 02:04 pm 6

For customer convenience, just tell them you want a reservation for eight. When you show up with five (or 6), just tell them some firends couldn’t make it. The restaurant will adjust; no big deal.

7. James Pollock Jan 8th 2012 at 02:25 pm 7

They only have a certain number of panels to work with. You didn’t see the three months of preparation that came before this. That’s why Mrs. Duncan seems to have such a low tolerance for frustration.

8. ja Jan 8th 2012 at 05:08 pm 8

@7… Exactly. As a parent of a 16-year-old boy, I have no difficulty filling in the numerous attempted conversations in which Connie believed that the evening’s agenda had already been confirmed.

9. George P Jan 8th 2012 at 07:13 pm 9

While Red Lobster and Olive Garden are corporate siblings, their reservation policy is different.

According to their FAQ, they don’t take reservations, although they do “call ahead seating”, which further googling shows is a same-day thing where you can call when you are on your way to get your name on the list.

“Do you take Reservations?
    “Most Olive Garden locations seats on a first-come, first served basis. Some locations are testing call-ahead seating – please contact your restaurant directly to find if this option is available there.”

10. The Bad Seed Jan 9th 2012 at 12:00 am 10

Most restaurants are happy to take some sort of reservations if you call ahead for a group of 8 or more, especially if they have to push tables together to seat that many people together. You may not get seated immediately when you get there, but it should be faster than if you hadn’t called ahead.

As for Mom’s frustration, I feel that same way any time I’m dumb-enough to get involved with planning a get-together for ANY group of ANY age and gender. People don’t RSVP, they don’t show up, they show up with extra people, they go to the wrong place and/or on the wrong night, they complain about the place you chose, they show up hours late without calling/texting (after you gave up their seat to someone else). So Mom’s frustration may seem inordinate, but it’s actually cumulative.

11. Cidu Bill Jan 9th 2012 at 12:09 am 11

Connie’s actually frustrated by the Groundhog’s Year issue of Jeremy being 16 years old all over again after each birthday. I really don’t think I could have handled a full decade of each of my kids being 16.

12. Cidu Bill Jan 9th 2012 at 12:11 am 12

Hey, at least Connie didn’t go into a thoroughly disproportionate rage, the way comic strip parents so often do (there was one time I thought Elly Paterson was going to murder her daughter over an unmade bed)

13. David Jan 9th 2012 at 05:54 am 13

In classic comic strip clueless parent tradition, Connie is a child psychologist. This adds that extra level of hilarity to the miscommunication and complete inability to understand that her unvarying single-track approach creates.

14. Matthew Jan 9th 2012 at 07:48 am 14

Olive Garden? Just send the kids and take the husband to someplace nice.

15. Elyrest Jan 9th 2012 at 12:37 pm 15

Connie is a child psychologist? When did that happen? I can’t say I ever saw her hold a job. The mom in “Edge City” is a psychologist and is truly clueless.

16. ja Jan 9th 2012 at 05:14 pm 16

Yes, Connie is a child psychologist and aspiring author. She used to work part-time, but currently seems to only work on the book (”Coping Effectively with your Teen”).

17. mitch4 Jan 9th 2012 at 07:16 pm 17

I’ll join the club in support of Connie. The one that lately has me wrinkling my brow over what seems like excessive unappreciated martyrdom is The Pajama Diaries.

18. MollyJ Jan 10th 2012 at 12:27 am 18

If I thought I was buying dinner for the family and it turned out, without notice, that I was buying dinner for the family and three of my son’s friends….well, I’d at least want some advance notice.

19. Cidu Bill Jan 10th 2012 at 12:34 am 19

But in reality, Molly, as a parent, you probably know that isn’t the way it works.

20. Kamino Neko Jan 10th 2012 at 06:15 pm 20

Bill - there was a relatively recent story arc with Jeremy dealing with college admissions, so he’s perpetually 17, not 16.

21. ja Jan 11th 2012 at 10:20 am 21

Actually, Jeremy has been slowly progressing through high school since the strip started with him as a 15-year-old freshman. He’s moved through being a sophomore and getting his license and is now apparently a junior.

22. The Ploughman Jan 12th 2012 at 03:10 pm 22

Speaking of disproportionate rage, I like how “Olive Garden” has its own tag, so I can reread anti-OG vitriol at the click of a button.