U-Cut

Cidu Bill on Dec 22nd 2011

ucut.png

Does this have any basis in reality (other than the fact that artificial trees do exist)?

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, CIDU, Christmas, Christmas trees, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “U-Cut”

1. Paperboy Dec 22nd 2011 at 11:31 am 1

I guess the joke is that it doesn’t have any basis in reality. But the joke isn’t good enough to offset the 3 throw-away panels before it. (he didn’t even come up with joke lyrics!)

2. The Ploughman Dec 22nd 2011 at 11:57 am 2

Is the joke that they’re going through the same amount of work (long drive, sawing, etc) as a real tree would require, but artificial trees are supposed to be more convenient? I’m baffled.

3. Lost in A**2 Dec 22nd 2011 at 11:58 am 3

The first three panels aren’t “throw-away:” they illustrate a long drive, as for something really special and worthwhile.

4. Gary Dec 22nd 2011 at 12:26 pm 4

I think he’s trying to set the scene for a “traditional” Christmas outing that ends up artificial and modern.

5. Charlene Dec 22nd 2011 at 01:06 pm 5

Why do artificial trees need to be cut?

Not the joke, just a headscratcher

6. Paperboy Dec 22nd 2011 at 02:16 pm 6

The artificial trees don’t NEED to be cut, it’s just a way to provide people with the semblance of the real tree experience.
    (I still say it works just as well as a single-panel cartoon)

7. Frosted Donut Dec 22nd 2011 at 02:27 pm 7

I agree with Paperboy. I used to work at a U-cut Christmas Tree farm, and 90% of the time, we could do a better, faster job of cutting down a tree than the customer could. But they’d saw away for minutes on their knees in the mud because they thought that made it more authentic.

I especially liked the “hacksaws here” sign (we provided bow saws, because left to their own devices, customers would use axes or chainsaws).

(It’s a good single-panel cartoon. The other panels are just filler.)

8. minor annoyance Dec 22nd 2011 at 05:53 pm 8

Do any outdoor lots carry artificial trees (not counting the displays in front of big box hardware stores)? I remember that figuring in an ancient Dennis the Menace comic book story, back when artificial trees were a new idea.

9. Mark in Boston Dec 22nd 2011 at 08:51 pm 9

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, how lovely is thy aluminum.

10. Rasheed Dec 23rd 2011 at 12:11 am 10

You cut the tree to your desired height and trim the fake branches to how you want. “Just like a real tree!”

11. Proginoskes Dec 23rd 2011 at 02:04 am 11

I read “Watch for cars” originally as “Make sure none of our neighbors see that we are really getting an artificial tree.”

12. Dan W Dec 23rd 2011 at 08:28 am 12

I don’t know that I can even explain why it was funny, but for some reason I really enjoyed this comic.