A Barely Frazz Halloween

Cidu Bill on Oct 29th 2011

frosty.gif

Looks like Jef Mallett isn’t giving us his usual complex Halloween puzzle this year; though if Caulfield forgoes both Frosty the Snowman and Robert Frost and comes to school dressed as Emma Frost, I will be perversely amused.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Frazz, Halloween, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “A Barely Frazz Halloween”

1. Kit Oct 29th 2011 at 01:19 am 1

I think the use of “certainly” twice is meant to be a clue, but no idea to what.

2. Detcord Oct 29th 2011 at 02:43 am 2

I followed Kit’s suggestion and searched for “frost” and “certainly”. Weirdly, I got a hit with “Frost at Midnight”, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Just the sort of thing Caulfield would come up with, I think.

I say “weirdly” because the word “certainly” was in the Wiki text only incidently. It had nothing to do with the poem, or about Samuel. So, if “certainly” was a clue, then I believe the door is still open to alternatives.

Here’s the link, for those interested in the poem… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_at_Midnight

3. anonymous Oct 29th 2011 at 01:39 pm 3

4. anonymous Oct 29th 2011 at 01:40 pm 4

thought I knew how to insert a link. Maybe not. Copy and paste:

5. Some Old Guy Oct 29th 2011 at 01:45 pm 5

Actually, Martin Luther might be not be a bad guess.
    See theses 6, 23, 55 & 57 here: http://www.luther.de/en/95thesen.html

6. James Pollock Oct 29th 2011 at 10:03 pm 6

I usually need more than one clue… Mallett’s first clues are usually pretty cryptic. Also, perhaps coincidentally, Caulfield is more well-read in literature than I am. I KNEW it was a bad idea devoting so much mental storage to MS-DOS command-line syntax…

7. Genevieve Oct 30th 2011 at 12:10 pm 7

Wallace Stevens, who wrote the poem “The Snow Man”?

(Found by googling literary snowman — I don’t have Caulfield’s range of literary references either.)

8. Phil Oct 31st 2011 at 05:20 am 8

Well, Monday’s strip reveals that the target is Robert Frost’s The Road Not Taken. But I’m still puzzled about how this relates to the Friday strip (”certainly am” “certainly not”??). And there doesn’t even seem to be an actual costume involved: just being late to school because of taking a circuitous route.

9. Norm Oct 31st 2011 at 02:23 pm 9

I could only find one use of “certainly” in his poems.

Upon Looking up by Chance at the Constellations

You’ll wait a long, long time for anything much
    To happen in heaven beyond the floats of cloud
    And the Northern Lights that run like tingling nerves.
    The sun and moon get crossed, but they never touch,
    Nor strike out fire from each other nor crash out loud.
    The planets seem to interfere in their curves
    But nothing ever happens, no harm is done.
    We may as well go patiently on with our life,
    And look elsewhere than to stars and moon and sun
    For the shocks and changes we need to keep us sane.
    It is true the longest drouth will end in rain,
    The longest peace in China will end in strife.
    Still it wouldn’t reward the watcher to stay awake
    In hopes of seeing the calm of heaven break
    On his particular time and personal sight.
    That calm seems certainly safe to last to-night.

If that was it, it seems like a far weaker clue that usual, and Frazz’s response was far more explicit than one expects. Maybe that was the trick? It’s all I’ve got.

10. Paperboy Oct 31st 2011 at 03:02 pm 10

Phil#8- Possibly “certainly am” and “certainly not” represent two roads?