iDU

Cidu Bill on Aug 16th 2011

idu.png

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “iDU”

1. bAT L. Aug 16th 2011 at 12:59 am 1

The iPad must have been something she’s been asking for, so she draws a comic about her family, which would be perfect except for that one little object she’s been asking for all this time. You could theoretically replace “iPad” with anything she might want, like an expensive toy or an actual pony, or whatever. The key here is assuming that she had been asking for X for a while and her dad knows where she was going with it.

2. mitch4 Aug 16th 2011 at 02:06 am 2

I also was puzzled when I ran across this. There doesn’t seem to be anything more substantial going on than what bAT L. explains, yet we expect something more.

Could it be that the girl would do a better job of drawing her family if she had the tools that would be available to her on the iPad?

Also there didn’t seem to be any intro dropping us into the “Dad the cartoonist is taking the day off so the youngster is stepping in to do tday’s strip” mode so very um, beloved, from the older Family based cartoons. I thought it was silently premised on this, but not sure Adam is supposed to be a cartoonist.

3. Kilby Aug 16th 2011 at 02:18 am 3

… there didn’t seem to be any intro …

The comic as shown has the classic “reformattable” divisions used by most syndicated Sunday strips; the two initial “throwaway” panels have simply been omitted. The introduction (shown here) was pretty meagre, so it’s understandable that most papers wouldn’t bother to include it.

4. farmerjoe Aug 16th 2011 at 02:19 am 4

@#2: There’s no 4th wall breaking here, we’re just getting a page by page view of her little book. (notice how in the last frame there are multiple pages)

bAT L. sums it up pretty well. You could replace “puppy” with iPad if you wish.

5. Mike Aug 16th 2011 at 02:24 am 5

Yeah, I’m with Bat and Farmerjoe. I didn’t think it was puzzling or missing anything at all. I think it would be better though with a puppy — he went for the cheap timely joke and it weakens the whole thing.

6. Mark M Aug 16th 2011 at 07:29 am 6

Agree with everyone else. Her “book” butters up mom and dad. Also agree a puppy would have been better. It would certainly be considered family more than an iPad.

7. George P Aug 16th 2011 at 08:19 am 7

I, too, think a puppy would have worked better, since it could be considered a part of the family. Although I suppose Apple fanboys may consider their toys part of the family.

8. Judge Mental Aug 16th 2011 at 10:14 am 8

Perhaps we were to expect a puppy as the answer to the question of “What is missing from this picture?” and the punchline is that instead, she was angling for an iPad?

:shrug

9. Scott Aug 16th 2011 at 03:34 pm 9

Adam isn’t a cartoonist - he freelances some unspecified computer work for a variety of clients from his home office. Never seen him with a drawing board. I’ve always thought he did freelance writing, but I’m not sure there is evidence of that.

10. Lost in A**2 Aug 16th 2011 at 03:53 pm 10

He started out writing Christmas letters for his clients. I don’t think that has ever changed.

11. blahedo Aug 16th 2011 at 07:58 pm 11

OT but: could you fix your wordpress theme so it actually has a horizontal scrollbar on wide things? This is a minor problem for me on nearly every post (I have to resize a window to see the right half of a comic) but this one I literally cannot see all of even when my window is the full width of my screen.

12. Cidu Bill Aug 16th 2011 at 09:12 pm 12

blahedo, if I tried to change anything on the WordPress theme, it wouldn’t end well. Trust me on this one.

If a comic is ever too wide for your screen, just click it.

13. captainswift Aug 16th 2011 at 10:13 pm 13

I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to recognize this as a cliche. “We have such a perfect family, but there’s one thing missing.” and as many commenters have done, we assume she wants a puppy (see Vanessa on very early Cosby shows). So the joke is, she wants an iPod, not a puppy after all, oh kids these days.