The Early Worm is Gotten By the Bird???

Cidu Bill on Apr 5th 2011

worm.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dave Coverly, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “The Early Worm is Gotten By the Bird???”

1. Arthur Apr 5th 2011 at 12:10 am 1

Well, the first robin of spring has to eat something.

Actually, in much of the US, robins are around the whole year. But robins as a sign of spring are so
    rampant, that I’ll point that out and then step aside. It’s a useful, if inaccurate, metaphor.

2. James Pollock Apr 5th 2011 at 01:01 am 2

There’s a robin’s nest directly above my back door. (It’s one of the sliding glass types, and the frame protrudes about 4″). We get a couple of fledglings every spring. I don’t know where the robins are the rest of the time, but they AREN’T in that particular nest.

3. Rainey Apr 5th 2011 at 01:15 am 3

This is one of those “triumph trivialized by tragedy” tropes. The worm works hard to get to the surface to crawl around and explore but accomplishes nothing because it gets eaten by a bird as soon as it gets to the surface.

4. Proginoskes Apr 5th 2011 at 03:16 am 4

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

5. Molly J Apr 5th 2011 at 08:54 am 5

Not much incentive for worms to be early risers, is there?

6. Walt Morris Apr 5th 2011 at 09:12 am 6

If you’re determined to get up early it’s important to know whether you’re a bird or a worm.

7. Elyrest Apr 5th 2011 at 10:35 am 7

I almost sent this in as a LOL and I guess because of that I don’t understand what’s not to understand. The unfortunate first worm is carried away as bird food. I thought the almost empty comic with the worm disappearing at the top was appropriate. Maybe someone didn’t understand that it was a worm up top and thought it was the bird’s feet?

8. Keera Apr 5th 2011 at 11:54 am 8

It’s the worms that herald spring, I’ve discovered. Due to wet weather, a whole bunch of very skinny earthworms were out on the pavement this morning - the first time this year. It also reminds me of a Peanuts strip where Snoopy is walking on a sidewalk, only to end up trying not to step at all. In the last panel, Charlie Brown comments to Linus about all the worms that come out after a rain.

9. James Pollock Apr 5th 2011 at 02:28 pm 9

This worm might be considered lucky, actually. He could have been cast in the “wormucking” Calvin & Hobbes strips…

10. JoeZeppy Apr 5th 2011 at 05:54 pm 10

I want to hear more about this sliding glass robin’s nest?

11. ANDREA Apr 5th 2011 at 06:12 pm 11

@2. They’d only be on the nest for breeding season.

12. David A. Rooney Apr 5th 2011 at 07:50 pm 12

The bird HAS to get up early to get the worm - otherwise the neighbor’s cat will be in the yard, having run out while its owner went to get the moring paper off the walk.

Why the worm got up early, I don’t know. Then again, how does the worm know it’s daytime anyway? Since its under the soil when the sun first rises.

13. Paperboy Apr 5th 2011 at 11:03 pm 13

Proginoskes#4- That’s a good one!

14. lynn Apr 6th 2011 at 11:04 am 14

Early bird
    Oh, if you’re a bird, be an early bird
    And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.
    If you’re a bird, be an early bird—
    But if you’re a worm, sleep late.”
    — Shel Silverstein (Where the Sidewalk Ends)