Because their name ends in -berg??

Cidu Bill on Mar 30th 2011

reynoldsunwrappedjewish.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Reynolds Unwrapped, comic strips, comics, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Because their name ends in -berg??”

1. Judge Mental Mar 30th 2011 at 12:17 pm 1

Nope.. that is Levi, Abigail and Herschel Glacierstein.

(yep, I think “Berg” is the joke)

2. Mike Mar 30th 2011 at 12:44 pm 2

love the big nose on the daddy glacier, because nothing says jewish like a large nose. maybe they could have thrown in a few bagels lying around?

also, I initially thought the horizon line was a panel divider and I could not figure out what the second panel (of the ice and water) was supposed to mean. is it a cleverly disguised map of israel?

3. Futabakun Mar 30th 2011 at 12:53 pm 3

My first thought was based on the idea of seeing the chips of ice floating away - circumcision!

4. Kit Mar 30th 2011 at 01:19 pm 4

“Mom, am I a polar bear?”
    You know the punch line ;)

5. pepperjackcandy Mar 30th 2011 at 01:26 pm 5

“*That* was for the Titanic!”

6. Dr. Shrinker Mar 30th 2011 at 01:35 pm 6

Futabakun - same here, although I guess a bad pun and stereotypical facial features are enough.

Kit - no, I don’t.

7. Tim Mar 30th 2011 at 02:03 pm 7

I never would have gotten it if I hadn’t read the headline.

8. Keera Mar 30th 2011 at 02:04 pm 8

What Futabakun @3 said.

Kit, I don’t know it, either. :-)

9. CIDU Bill Mar 30th 2011 at 02:20 pm 9

First thing that came to my mind as well, pepperjackcandy.

10. Elyrest Mar 30th 2011 at 02:29 pm 10

I didn’t know the joke that Kit referred to either, but I found this one online.

One day a baby polar bear approaches his mother with a confused expression on his face and says, “Mom? Am I a polar bear?”

“Well of course son!”

The cub replied, “You’re sure I’m not a panda bear or a black bear?”

“No, of course not. Now run outside and play.”

But the baby polar bear is still confused so he approaches his father.

The cub asks, “Dad, am I a polar bear?”

“Why of course son!” the papa polar bear gruffly replies.

The cub continues, “I don’t have any grizzly bear or Koala bear in my bloodlines?”

“No son. I’m a polar bear, your mother is a polar bear, and by god you too are one hundred percent purebred polar bear!! Why in the world do you ask?”

“Because I’m freezing my BUTT off!!”

11. Daniel J. Drazen Mar 30th 2011 at 03:28 pm 11

Hey, the whole UNIVERSE is Jewish; even the sun’s name is Sol.

12. Cidu Bill Mar 30th 2011 at 04:01 pm 12

And don’t forget how Ford’s air conditioning controls are named after Norm, Hi and Max.

13. Chipper Mar 30th 2011 at 05:56 pm 13

I get the joke because of the explanation, but the execution leaves me cold. (Sorry for the obligatory pun.) If they are supposed to be icebergs they should be in the water, not locked in more ice. They look more like mountains that way.

14. Cidu Bill Mar 30th 2011 at 06:11 pm 14

Actually, the suffix -berg means mountain.

How much does that confuse the issue?

15. Paperboy Mar 30th 2011 at 06:56 pm 15

And how could a huge slab of ice ever have a chance of becoming a doctor?

16. James Pollock Mar 30th 2011 at 07:37 pm 16

Doctors prefer NOT to be identified as “huge slabs of ice”. That’s actually professional detachment. If you want warm and fuzzy, push the button for the nurse.

17. Mark in Boston Mar 30th 2011 at 10:05 pm 17

Well, ARE they Jewish?

18. Proginoskes Mar 31st 2011 at 05:07 am 18

It’s a reference to the following joke:

A Chinese man and his Jewish friend were walking along one day when the Jewish man whirled and slugged the Chinese man and knocked him down.

“What was that for?” the Chinese man asked.

“That was for Pearl Harbor!” the Jewish man said.

“Pearl Harbor? That was the Japanese. I’m Chinese.”

“Chinese, Japanese, you are all the same!”

“Oh!”

They continued walking and after a while the Chinese man whirled and knocked the Jewish man to the ground.

“What was that for?” the Jewish man asked.

“That was for the Titanic!”

“The Titanic? That was an iceberg.”

“Iceberg, Goldberg, you are all the same.”

19. Powers Mar 31st 2011 at 08:31 am 19

The Icebergs live next door to the Spidermans.

Powers &8^]

20. Morris Keesan Mar 31st 2011 at 08:44 am 20

I had the same first thought as pepperjackcandy #5 and CIDU Bill #9. I would have posted the joke, as Proginoskes did, but I thought that would have been redundant after reading those two posts.

21. mark d Mar 31st 2011 at 09:09 am 21

Jewish doom and gloom humor? The floating piece of ice looks a little like Egypt which has broken away from Israel and is no longer a secure state. And there are other cracks in Israel’s alliances. Meanwhile global warming spells doom for the the Icebergs who will soon be totally cracking up.

22. Proginoskes Apr 1st 2011 at 03:22 am 22

@ mark d: You’ve been watching WAY too much CNN lately. Shut off the TV and take a break. (They don’t call it the idiot box for nothing.)

23. mark d Apr 10th 2011 at 11:15 pm 23

CNN is not to blame because I never watch the channel, mainly because until quite recently I never had cable. The more likely culprits are the Lehrer News Hour and The NY Times which frequently feature the Middle East and global warming. In fact, in last Tuesday’s (4/5)Times Science Section there was a photo of polar bears who could no longer count on a diet of baby seals because global warming had melted their sea ice habitats. Coincidentally there was a map of Egypt in an unrelated article above the polar bear photo, and on the front page of the paper was a photo of the Attorney General making an announcement under a bank of CNN screens on which he appeared. A rather neat association of ideas related to this cartoon thread.