Winner of Today’s “Sounds Like an Onion.com Headline But Isn’t” Award

Cidu Bill on Mar 24th 2011

NFL Lockout Could Destroy Chicken Wing Industry

Filed in Bill Bickel, Chicken Wings, NFL, football | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Winner of Today’s “Sounds Like an Onion.com Headline But Isn’t” Award”

1. Mark M Mar 24th 2011 at 06:22 pm 1

And stories like this could destroy Onion.com!

2. George P Mar 24th 2011 at 07:10 pm 2

I’d love to see the retail price of chicken wings go down.

Not too long ago I read an article that chicken wings were too expensive for many retailers, which led to the invention of “boneless wings”. Wing demand and prices were so high breasts were actually cheaper, so they were turned into substitute wings.

Before the whole Buffalo explosions wings were pretty cheap, and the poultry industry was doing fine. If their strategy is tied that closely to one professional sports league, then they probably are due for some rethinking.

3. turquoisecow Mar 24th 2011 at 07:17 pm 3

Wing prices are going down? Really? When all I hear all day at work is that commodities nationwide are skyrocketing across the board?

Nice to hear something’s going down.

4. Paperboy Mar 24th 2011 at 07:21 pm 4

There goes my retirement investment!

5. Larry Mar 24th 2011 at 09:41 pm 5

I’m assuming this drop will be reflected on my tab at the local wing place this weekend.

HAHAHAHA…….Yep.

6. mitch4 Mar 24th 2011 at 11:34 pm 6

Personal reminiscence… In the 1972/73 school year, I was in Buffalo, NY at SUNYAB (not that long after converting from “Unversty of Buffalo”). My GF and I soon noticed there were two very popular local specialties in the non-franchise storefront delis and similar eateries.

One was a roast beef sandwich on some sort of roll, called “beef on weck”. The other was hot chicken wings. Most places, you could choose among three degrees of hotness. The sauce was baked on as a sort of paste or crust, not a dripping liquid. Some had a whitened/pinkish think soft sauce in a yoghurt or similar dairy base, but others not.

The name Buffalo was not yet attached to these, at least not in Buffalo. But not too much later, when as George puts it there was a Buffalo explosion, I knew the geographical connection in the name was pretty much genuine.

7. Rainey Mar 25th 2011 at 12:04 am 7

I wonder what they’d call those wings if they’d originated in Chicken, Alaska instead of Buffalo, New York.

8. Kilby Mar 25th 2011 at 03:19 am 8

@ Rainey (7) - … or “Intercourse, Pennsylvania” — to say nothing of that poor town in Austria that recently had to embed its “city limits” signs in concrete, because American tourists kept stealing the #$!*% signs.

9. George P Mar 25th 2011 at 08:42 am 9

Have you been to Chicken, Alaska. There’s a disappointment. I don’t think I even went inside.

10. Elyrest Mar 25th 2011 at 11:27 am 10

If they were from Hell, MI you could genuinely call them Hellishly Hot Wings.

11. Mark in Boston Mar 25th 2011 at 04:50 pm 11

Things like Buffalo wings that originate in a particular city don’t generally get the city label at first. Eventually someone in some other city says “Let’s make chicken wings like they make them in Buffalo” and then labels them “Buffalo wings”.

They don’t call French Fries “French Fries” in France.

12. Bob Mar 25th 2011 at 07:14 pm 12

Anchor Bar in Buffalo - the original Bffalo chicken wing joint. And beef on weck… oh, how I love it. You just can’t get Kimmelweck rolls outside of WNY.

13. FeelinOld Mar 25th 2011 at 10:23 pm 13

Long before they became “Buffalo” wings around here hot wings were pretty common on pub menus, how much marketing went into that re-branding?

I always find the association of a food with a place amusing, on a visit to the UK a few years back I was in a high end restaurant, and saw “Taber Corn” on the menu, thinking this odd as I once had a late summer job driving truck for a corn operation in Taber, AB, I asked the waitress what “Taber Corn” was and was told that it was imported from a small town on the Canadian prairies. Amazing what good marketing can do…

14. Elyrest Mar 25th 2011 at 10:37 pm 14

Bob - You really can’t get Kimmelweck rolls outside of WNY? I grew up eating them as I was raised about 10 miles or so from the WNY state border (in Pennsylvania). Now I know why I haven’t seen these rolls in years. Mmmm, they were good.

15. Lola Mar 25th 2011 at 11:23 pm 15