Synchronicity… synchronize ya’ very much…

Cidu Bill on Dec 21st 2010

elvis.png

Submitted by Timothy Carignan, who also supplied the tag line and added, “I think ink the real kicker is that these two are so close alphabetically that they come next to each other on my news feed.”

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bound and Gagged, Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee, Christmas, Dana Summers, Elvis, comic strips, comics, humor, synchronicity | 34 responses so far

34 Responses to “Synchronicity… synchronize ya’ very much…”

1. Judge Mental Dec 21st 2010 at 12:52 pm 1

We sometimes take small liberties with the “synchronicity” tag, but I think this one may qualify as the most conspicuous example of two strips using the same joke that we have ever had.

2. Cuddles Dec 21st 2010 at 01:09 pm 2

Oddly enough, the plural for “Elvis” and “elves” is “elvii”.

Merry Chri….

Happy Holi….

Oh, look! A squirrel!

3. Jeff Dec 21st 2010 at 01:13 pm 3

4. James Pollock Dec 21st 2010 at 02:54 pm 4

There is no plural for Elvis… there is, was, and always will be, only one Elvis.

5. Chuck Dec 21st 2010 at 03:44 pm 5

Tell that to my cousin Elvis.

Okay, so I don’t have a cousin Elvis, but someone might.

6. cydu Dec 21st 2010 at 04:12 pm 6

Plural, no. More like a mass noun in later times.

7. mitch4 Dec 21st 2010 at 04:32 pm 7

I’m so pleased to see these made it in here! Sunday or Monday I think I saw a third one doing this.

8. Paperboy Dec 21st 2010 at 05:28 pm 8

James Pollock#4- Right you are! He shall always be the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.

9. James Pollock Dec 21st 2010 at 07:47 pm 9

Actually, I’m more of a Beatles fan… but there are four of them, plus two “fifth Beatles”, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best, (plus Trivial Pursuit identifies producer Brian Epstein as the “fifth Beatle”.)

“There will be no Beatles reunion for as long as John Lennon remains dead.” — George Harrison.

I am only old enough to remember “fat Elvis”.

10. furrykef Dec 21st 2010 at 09:27 pm 10

Cuddles - actually, the only Latin nouns that take a plural in -ii are ones that end with -ius.

Though hopefully you knew that already. I’m just constantly annoyed by this humorous use of the -ii suffix (actually it’s only an -i suffix and the first ‘i’ is only because of the ‘i’ in ‘-ius’) because it has no basis. “Moose -> meese” works by analogy of “goose -> geese”. But “Elvis -> Elvii” doesn’t work because there’s no example of “is -> ii”. You can’t have an analogy unless there’s something for it to be an analogue of.

11. Kamino Neko Dec 21st 2010 at 09:37 pm 11

The Latin plural of Elvis would be….Elves.

12. mdt48302 Dec 21st 2010 at 10:22 pm 12

No, no, Elves is a female Elvis, like Frances is a female Francis.

13. Mark in Boston Dec 21st 2010 at 10:27 pm 13

What about Elvis Costello?

14. Paperboy Dec 21st 2010 at 10:31 pm 14

James Pollock#9- Stuart Sutcliffe was just a painter who held a bass guitar untill Paul was forced to play it.( Producer George Martin is the “fifth Beatle”)… I’m only old enough to remember the out-of-the-Army Elvis, but thanks to film, I can see what the fuss was all about in the Fifties.

15. Rainey Dec 22nd 2010 at 12:21 am 15

mdt48302, the female version of “Rainey” is “Rainy”. This is ironic on two levels. The first being that it’s the opposite of “Francis” vs. “Frances” in that in this case it’s the male version that contains the letter “e”. The second level is that my name is actually a derivative of the French city of “Lorraine” which is also used as a feminine name and contains the letter “e”.

16. Rainey Dec 22nd 2010 at 12:29 am 16

I would also like to point out that this joke was actually used a long time ago in a “Mother Goose and Grimm” comic strip. Santa was sent fifty Elvises instead of fifty elves. Also, I remember a “Drabble” strip where Norman dressed up as Elvis instead of Santa. Perhaps this idea isn’t original enough for synchronicity ( though the idea is enjoyable nonetheless ).

17. Kilby Dec 22nd 2010 at 03:23 am 17

John Cleese said exactly the same thing about Monty Python and Graham Chapman. I wonder whether that would count as synchonicity or plagiarism?

18. James Pollock Dec 22nd 2010 at 05:31 am 18

George Harrison was a big fan of Monty Python. He funded the production of “Life of Brian” when the studio funding fell through at the last moment. I’m pretty sure he funded “Time Bandits”, too.

19. Freezer Dec 22nd 2010 at 06:11 am 19

Re: The Fifth Beatle: Billy Preston. End of discussion.

20. chuckers Dec 22nd 2010 at 07:08 am 20

‘I’m pretty sure he funded “Time Bandits”, too.’

Is *that* who we blame?!?

21. mitch4 Dec 22nd 2010 at 07:12 am 21

MIB - I recently saw a profile of Elvis Costello, with a somewhat different account of the origins of his performing name than I had previously heard. The previous version had both parts derived as homage to past stars — Elvis Presley of course, and Lou Costello of the Abbott & Costello comedy team. The recent profile just says that Costello is a family name from some other branch of his family.

I also enjoy listening to film commentator and interviewer Elvis Mitchell.

Whenever I meet a guy, or hear of a quasi-public figure, named Elvis, of course I jump to the assumption that his parents chose it with Presley in mind somehow. But that doesn’t really have to be so. The name was out there, even if at a low frequency, for Presley’s parents to find and choose it.

22. mitch4 Dec 22nd 2010 at 07:20 am 22

Kef — I’m with you on those fake jokey Latin plurals. But what really boils my blood is jokey misuse of the early Modern English conjugation endings -(e)th and -(e)st. They are really so simple, with under one minute of learning those writers could get it right, and still make all the anachronism jokes.

23. Tim Dec 22nd 2010 at 10:16 am 23

I remember a Muppet video of “The Shoemaker and the Elves” where they were all dressed as Elvis, so it’s not original, but it’s still funny how synchronized they are.

24. Kamino Neko Dec 22nd 2010 at 12:02 pm 24

There was also a Magic: The Gathering card in one of the joke sets (Unglued, I think) called Elvish Impersonator.

It’s a pretty obvious joke, really. Still funny when executed well.

25. Mark in Boston Dec 23rd 2010 at 12:32 am 25

So who was Elvis Presley named after anyway? Or did his parents just make up his name, like J. M. M. Barrie made up “Wendy”?

26. Kamino Neko Dec 23rd 2010 at 01:19 am 26

No, Elvis is an old name. The origin is uncertain, but Presley wasn’t the first.

The earliest Wikipedia has is Saint Ailbe, whose name is spelt several different ways, including Elvis (an Anglicization of the Latinization).

27. Elyrest Dec 23rd 2010 at 11:34 am 27

Mark in Boston - Barrie didn’t invent the name Wendy in Peter Pan. The name had been around for a while. The Straight Dope:

“But we have absolute proof that there were earlier Wendys, thanks to the just-released 1880 U.S. Census and the 1881 British Census (available here). These documents show that the name Wendy, while not common, was indeed used in both the U.S. and Great Britain throughout the 1800s. I had no trouble finding twenty females with the first name Wendy in the United States, the earliest being Wendy Gram of Ohio (born in 1828). If you include such spelling variations as Windy, Wendi, Wenda, and Wandy the number triples. ”

Barrie did popularize the name though. Not much different that children being named after movie and TV characters.

28. Chuck Dec 23rd 2010 at 11:45 am 28

See, I have a dilemma. I want to name a kid Miley because I think it’s a pretty name, but I don’t want my child named after Miley Cyrus! Maybe I’ll just use it for a character in a story…. Or I can say I named her after Reverend Run’s daughter.

29. Elyrest Dec 23rd 2010 at 12:03 pm 29

Chuck - Most likely anyone from your generation will assume your daughter is named after Miley Cyrus. Years from now though, when Cyrus is forgotten, people won’t know it. There will probably be lots of Mileys around though and that might be a reason to avoid it.

30. James Pollock Dec 23rd 2010 at 01:29 pm 30

Of course, Miley herself wasn’t actually named “Miley”, she had to change it to “Miley” which was originally a nickname. I am disturbed that I know anything at all about Ms. Cyrus, except that is about time for the Disney princess curse to strike her. Has she been arrested yet?

31. Molly J Dec 23rd 2010 at 05:59 pm 31

James - No, but there’s youtube out there of her taking a hit off a bong. Won’t be long now.

And I know that her parents called her Smiley as a nickname and she pronounced it “Miley.” So that’s where THAT came from.

Embarassed that I know that. Mitigated by the fact that I have an 11 year old daughter.

32. Paperboy Dec 24th 2010 at 01:42 am 32

Miley was reportedly smoking Salvia Divinorum, which isn’t a “party drug”; it’s one of those ones that makes you “explore within”. Or go nuts. But it ain’t fun, either way. Unless Miley didn’t know what she was toking on, give her some credit.

33. George P Dec 24th 2010 at 01:57 am 33

Elyrest, that reminds me of all those words and phrases “invented” by Shakespeare, when all we actually know is that those are the oldest recorded uses. It seems more likely to me that he was repeating things that his mostly-illiterate audience was saying. We just don’t have a lot of other examples of “common speech” writing from back then.

34. Chuck Dec 27th 2010 at 01:00 am 34