Trudeau Says ”Say What?”

Cidu Bill on Jul 19th 2010

Quoted on the Doonesbury site (apparently Trudeau didn’t understand it either):

“Coming here today was like coming to Doonesbury. The system has failed my daughter.” - Lindsay Lohan’s father Michael, following her sentencing to 90 days in jail

Filed in Bill Bickel, Doonesbury, G.B. Trudeau, Lindsay Lohan | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Trudeau Says ”Say What?””

1. James Schend Jul 19th 2010 at 12:41 pm 1

Are we sure it wasn’t just mis-heard and transcribed wrong?

Although I can’t for the life of me figure out what he might have meant to say that sounds like “Doonesbury” and makes sense in context.

2. freedyk Jul 19th 2010 at 12:57 pm 2

Considering the source, Lohan’s nutty father, there’s no telling what he meant. The only system that failed Lindsey is the “system” of having parents that care about the well-being of their children ahead of $$$.

But if I had to make a guess, perhaps he meant to say “Mayberry” as in the fictional town of Sheriff Andy Taylor. This also doesn’t make sense for a few reasons. One, the character of Sheriff Taylor (Andy Griffith), was very reasonable and probably would’ve treated Lohan fairly AND punished the failed father. The other reason is that the Sheriff was pretty lenient on substance abusers as evidenced by allowing Otis the town drunk to check himself into and out of the jail.

3. Charlene Jul 19th 2010 at 01:06 pm 3

Perhaps he meant “Doomsday”?

4. CIDU Bill Jul 19th 2010 at 01:07 pm 4

Otis never drove drunk.

5. Elyrest Jul 19th 2010 at 01:53 pm 5

CIDI Bill - Well, there was that one time Otis rode a cow, but I guess that hardly counts as the cow was doing most of the driving.

6. MellowCake Jul 19th 2010 at 01:59 pm 6

He must have said “Bloomsbury” - because the Bloomsbury area in London is where the British Museum is and the Greeks have failed to get the system to return the Elgin Marbles to them and the Lohans have some Italian heritage probably and Italy is close to Greece. So, yes, he must have meant Bloomsbury.

7. Elyrest Jul 19th 2010 at 02:10 pm 7

No, no he must have said Donnybrook. The Donnybook Fair is annual Irish event known for its brawls. As we all know the Irish are mad drinkers and poor Lindsey got into all this trouble because of the alcohol. So I think it must be a reference to all the drunken brawls that the poor wee girl has gotten into.

(Apologies to all my Irish ancestors and the ones still living too.)

8. AMC Jul 19th 2010 at 03:25 pm 8

He’s a big Frank Herbert fan and an Andy Griffith fan, and meant “Dunes’ berry”.

Barney Fife battles giant sand worms all day long, with only one bullet. Aunt Bee saves water, and Opie is a messianic figure in control of the local “spice” trade.

And it affects Lindsey Lohan because even the script for “Dunes’ berry” would be better than any move she’d done in the last three years.

9. AMC Jul 19th 2010 at 03:25 pm 9

Move = movie.

10. Pinny Jul 19th 2010 at 04:50 pm 10

The quote above actually skips several sentences he actually said. From the full quote it seems that he was associating “Doonesbury” (or whatever other word he may have meant) with different people who should be acting in concert actually not knowing what each other is doing or saying.

(He starts speaking at 2:57.)

The full quote:
    “I’ll say one thing. I’ll say one thing. This was like coming to Doonesbury today. Between the program, the prosecutor, and the judge not knowing what the other one said just shows how the system can fail people. And my daughter’s been failed in this case and a lot of people will, in the future, if they don’t get it right.”

11. Joolz Jul 19th 2010 at 05:44 pm 11

My theory is that he was actually referring to Dilbert.

12. Rumplestiltskin Jul 19th 2010 at 07:17 pm 12

And, the real point (IMO) is that his daughter was not failed by the system. She failed herself; the system “worked” — as well as it works for anyone who does not take advantage when the court gives them a chance. Time for jail, Ms. Lohan. Wake up call!

13. George P Jul 19th 2010 at 07:37 pm 13

I vote for Mayberry, where the system always worked, except that one time the pretty lady from out of town sweet-talked Opie, Barney, Goober (or was it Gomer?) and even Aunt Bea into perjuring themselves. And even that one ended well, since she felt so guilty she floored it leaving town so she could get another ticket.

There was that one episode where a man from out of town thought he was getting railroaded because Andy was both Sheriff and Justice of the Peace, and his fine kept going up every time he argued. Maybe that’s what he was referring to.

14. Charlene Jul 20th 2010 at 04:59 am 14

Rumple, the system did fail - it failed the rest of the state. Had Lindsay Lohan not been a famous actress she would have been behind bars a long time ago, and not just for 90 days.

15. Lost in A**2 Jul 20th 2010 at 06:05 am 15

George P, the episode you describe sounds like the one from the Danny Thomas Show that introduced Sheriff Taylor and Mayberry. That episode was so successful that the Andy Griffith Show was created. (IIRC, the episode was not intended as a “pilot.”)

16. George P Jul 20th 2010 at 06:51 am 16

I am pretty sure it was a regular episode, although they did the same thing on the Make Room for Daddy episode. But I could be mistaken. It’s been a long time and there are a lot of episodes.

When Floyd’s Barber Shop became Emmett’s Fix-it Shop, did they have to drive to Mount Pilot to get their hair cut?

17. Powers Jul 20th 2010 at 07:03 am 17

I’m starting to think that LiLo’s biggest problem is her father.

18. MellowCake Jul 20th 2010 at 08:21 am 18

George P & Lost in A**2 -

It just so happens that I’ve been watching the Andy Griffith Show chronologically from the DVD set and the episode you’re referring to is “Andy and the Woman Speeder”, Episode 3 from season 2.

Gomer & Goober hadn’t been introduced yet so the characters who got sweet-talked by the woman speeder were: Opie, Barney, Aunt Bea, & Floyd.

19. Elyrest Jul 20th 2010 at 11:50 am 19

No, I think that George P is referring to a season two episode of the Andy Griffith Show called “Bailey’s Bad Boy. It starred Bill Bixby as the spoiled son of a rich man. Andy has to teach him to take responsibility for his actions - a common theme on the show. Apropos for a Lindsey Lohan thread.

George P, maybe after Floyd’s Barber Shop disappeared they all had their hair cut by Aunt Bee using an early version of the Flowbee.

20. George P Jul 20th 2010 at 11:18 pm 20

I mentioned two episodes. The first was in fact “Andy and the Woman Speeder”. I may be conflating the Danny Thomas show episode with the Bill Bixby one.

That show really tanked after it went to color, Floyd died, and Howard Sprague showed up.

What I find most interesting about the show is the way the Andy Taylor character changed. He started off as someone who appeared to be an awe-shucks bumpkin but turned out to be smart at the end of the episode. He turned into a Wise Man who stayed calm in the middle of chaos.

Maybe Terry-Thomas cut hair when he biked through town.

21. Elyrest Jul 20th 2010 at 11:49 pm 21

George P - That wasn’t Terry-Thomas. It was the delightful Bernard Fox as Malcolm Merriweather. He also played Dr. Bombay on Bewitched and Colonel Crittendon on Hogan’s Heroes among other roles.

22. Proginoskes Jul 21st 2010 at 01:13 am 22

Lindsey Lohan is an actress???

The only time I’ve ever heard her name is when she was arrested for drunk driving. One time, she was DUI while heading to meet with her parole officer. She should have been locked up long ago.

23. George P Jul 21st 2010 at 05:29 am 23

Of course it was Bernard Fox. My bad. It was Terry-Thomas in Bachelor Flat.

Lohan was an actress in Mean Girls, and I understand she did a decent job in remakes of Freaky Friday and the Parent Trap (although I have not seen those).

24. Powers Jul 21st 2010 at 07:14 am 24

Yes, she’s actually a pretty good actress — or was, at least. She needs the right material, and a huge attitude adjustment.

25. Detcord Jul 21st 2010 at 09:52 am 25

Powers (24)

Agreed. I think she could have used a better father as well.

26. Elyrest Jul 21st 2010 at 11:25 am 26

Lindsey Lohan was delightful in Parent Trap. She would have had to have been for me to appreciate a remake of one of my favorite childhood movies. I think she has suffered from a triple trap: early fame; a horrible family; and a modern world where nothing she does is a secret. She might have survived one, or even two, but not all three.

27. Kilby Jul 26th 2010 at 04:11 am 27

@ 6, 7, 8, 10 - Listening to the quote, it sounds like “doonsbury day” - perhaps the reference was to “Bloomsday“, on which people celebrate the author James Joyce by (among other things) drinking a great deal of alcohol.