WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (1807) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Worst Endings Ever, and Sunday’s Lost Finale

Worst Endings Ever, and Sunday’s Lost Finale

on May 21st 2010

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

jack.pngSunday night, Lost ends.

I’m hoping for a good send-off — the writing has certainly improved over the past couple of seasons — but realistically I don’t think there’s any way they can tie everything together in a way that makes any sense: they spent too much time throwing in everything including the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the toilet down the hall. Maybe they’ll just streamline the ton of series mythology, ignoring 95% of it. Maybe they’ll try to fit all the pieces together and end up with an X Files type mess.

Or a Battlestar Galactica style “Yeah, we really have no idea either.”

Or maybe the writers actually had a plan all along (though isn’t that what they said about the Cylons, until they didn’t?), and we’re in for a glorious, stunning finale.

I’m not holding my breath, though.

A couple of years ago, we discussed worst-ever television endings. There were 68 comments and to spare anybody from repeating themselves now, I’m tacking this onto the old discussion rather than starting a new one.

August 30, 2008:  lfb080830.gif

So Grandpa Jim will remain on death’s door for eternity. How uplifting.

This monstrosity made me think about the worst television endings ever. I doubt there are many Star Trek fans who wouldn’t name Enterprise’s finale as one of the worst ever. Quantum Leap was another stinker.

Of course, a great many television series simply go off the air and don’t have finales at all — and some go on for too many seasons and stink so bad by the end that any finale is a mercy killing (I’m sure some of you are thinking FBOFW falls into this category, so I’ll save you the trouble of pointing that out) — but the question before us here is: Worst television finale ever (or to put it in a more trendy way, worst. television. finale. ever.)

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (1807) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (1807) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 117 responses so far

117 Responses to “Worst Endings Ever, and Sunday’s Lost Finale”

1. Richard Aug 30th 2008 at 12:38 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Is this a dig at Johnson’s husband?

It doesn’t bother me that the strip is ending with the Grandfather on his deathbed. I prefer it to his dying on hid granddaughter’s wedding.

As far as the worst ending of a telvision series, my vote goes for the end of the Tim Daly version of “The Fugitive” - which seemly ended with both Kimble and Gerard getting killed by an associate of the one-armed man.

2. solarrhino Aug 30th 2008 at 01:20 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Well, I didn’t watch “The Sopranos”, but I certainly heard all the wailing and nashing of teeth when it ended. That has to rank up there somewhere, doesn’t it?

3. Richard Aug 30th 2008 at 02:09 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Sorry for misspelling Johnston’s name above. My question was that whether the statements about marriage being for better or for worse was a dig at Johnston’s ex-husband.

Also, I wanted to add “Star Trek: The Next Generation” as another series that had an awful ending. As I recall, the story of the final episode concerned an explositon that went backwards in time from the moment it was created, getting larger and larger until it wiped out the entire universe in ancient history. At the end of the episode, the crew of the Enterprise did something to stop the explosion, but they did it at a time AFTER the explosion was created. Since the explosion went backwards, rather than forward, in time, stopping the explosion after it was created shouldn’t have had any effect on its going backward and destroying the universe - or so it seems to me.

4. rob Aug 30th 2008 at 05:09 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@Richard, i’ve never seen ST next gen, but from your description it seems there is an even larger flaw in that ending. If the explosion went back in time and destroyed all ancient history then none of those people would have ever existed at all, right? In addition the events that took place up until the explosion, the whole series and the rest of history, never took place… of course if all of history was eradicated then the explosion that destroyed everything could never have happened… It’s like the time travel paradox but worse and stupider.

5. Seismic-2 Aug 30th 2008 at 08:08 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Happy Days. Tom Bosley offers a toast to his family, and it makes a mistake about the number of kids they had.

6. DocBob Aug 30th 2008 at 09:07 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Worst ending ever: Babylon 5. As a fan of the show I spent 5 years of my life fighting changing time slots for the show. 5 years of building up to a cataclysmic ending and then it ends with a whimper….

Still love the rest of the show though…

7. Bulthistle Aug 30th 2008 at 09:34 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

All I could think of reading Iris’s little speech is how Anthony didn’t live up to his vows the first time, so prepare yourself, Liz, he’ll probably bail on you too.

8. Bulthistle Aug 30th 2008 at 09:36 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Worst TV ending - St. Elsewhere. We find everything happened in an autistic kid’s snowglobe.

9. xopher Aug 30th 2008 at 09:50 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bulthistle gets the prize. St. Elsewhere, hands down.

10. Oy vey Aug 30th 2008 at 10:01 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I dunno… since the passage of time, I’ve grown to kinda love the St. Elsewhere ending. I do remember being homicidal at the time, though.

11. Oy vey Aug 30th 2008 at 10:10 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

By the way… should I assume that we all still agree that M*A*S*H was still the worst TV finale ever? It gets extra points for coming after years and years of the show being watched faithfully in nearly every home in America.

12. Carl Aug 30th 2008 at 10:18 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

And, since St. Elsewhere was imaginary, logically all the other series that it crossed over with were, too. For instance, Homicide: Life on the Street. So Homicide also happened in Tommy’s head. But Homicide crossed over with Law and Order, so that’s imaginary, too ….

13. Blurgle Aug 30th 2008 at 10:20 am 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The ending would have been better if Jim hadn’t had the heart attack at all. Of course, it would have been even better if Liz hadn’t been forced by Lynn to marry Anthony, who:

a) emotionally cheated on his first wife, Therese, with Liz from the very first day of their marriage,

b) guilted and nagged and borderline intimidated Therese into having a child she desperately, desperately didn’t want (and of course Lynn demonized Therese for not becoming insta-perfect-mommy - I can’t forgive Lynn for that incredibly thoughtless idea),

c) dumped Therese as soon as he got what he wanted from her - the child (which was of course HER fault again for not changing her entire personality to be Mommy), and finally

d) followed up saving Liz from a rapist with coming on to her.

But Lynn, convinced that her characters must marry their “first loves” no matter what, blackened the characters of every man Liz dated (usually in ways that were wildly out of character for the personalities she’d earlier given them) to make sure we all knew Anthony was her wun twoo wuv. Lynn wanted Liz to love Anthony, so she did - the author as infallible matchmaker. But the author didn’t actually show Liz falling for him - there was no chemistry, no emotion shown. It rings so false.

14. Cindi Aug 30th 2008 at 10:32 am 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Okay - call me naive but I just thought that Lynn was just using “For Better or Worse” as a way to tie up the ending of the strip…. by adding the title as the tag-line so to speak.

Then again, it also points to the future where we will have to suffer through the whole strip again and be traumatized by seeing those kids grow up so fast all over again! I seriously doubt that I will be among the readers of this strip when it re-starts.

15. Dan Aug 30th 2008 at 10:59 am 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Oy Vey: This is a joke, right? I would be very surprised if a lot of people thought MASH’s ending was the “worst TV finale ever.” Especially considering it is still one the highest-rated episodes in American history.

16. Powers Aug 30th 2008 at 11:27 am 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Dan, even if everyone had turned it off in disgust as soon as the big revelation came, the ratings would have been just as high. You can’t judge the public’s appreciation of an event by how many watched it. =)

I don’t understand the consternation behind FBoFW. Even Blurgle’s fine post doesn’t explain it sufficiently to me. Maybe it’s because I missed most of the Anthony-Therese courtship/marriage. In fact, I only have a vague recollection of any childhood appearances of Anthony. Is it really so bad as has been claimed?

17. Cidu Bill Aug 30th 2008 at 11:39 am 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

DocBob, I think you’re thinking of the ending of the Shadow War, which wasn’t the final episode. what happened was, the storyline was planned for five seasons, and suddenly it looked like there wasn’t going to BE a fifth season, so the whole thing go wrapped up abruptly — with, as you say, a whimper. And then the show got renewed for the fifth year, and you had an entire season that was essentially an epilogue. A few interesting episodes, but mostly filler — and one episode that had clearly been written and discarded for an earlier season, and made zero sense in terms of current character development.

Regarding the final STTNG episode, did it really make less sense than every time-travel episode, on every program, ever filmed? In any case, though it might have been the final episode, it wasn’t really a finale, per se.

18. Dan Aug 30th 2008 at 12:28 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Powers: That’s true, but it’s irrelevant. I saw it when it first ran, and in the 25 years since this is the first time I’ve heard anyone say it was a bad ending. On the contrary, it’s frequently been lauded as the greatest ending ever.

19. Cidu Bill Aug 30th 2008 at 01:43 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The St Elsewhere ending was definitely the first true WTF Finale (eventually to be joined by the Bob Newhart ending).

20. Oy vey Aug 30th 2008 at 02:17 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Dan: You’re the first person I’ve ever heard from who thinks that the M*A*S*H finale was anything but one long, drawn-out, unpleasant, maudlin, self-indulgent, self-important disappointment. I don’t know how old you are, how long you watched M*A*S*H, or how big a fan you were, but everyone I’ve spoken to about it also agrees that that was the direction of the whole show, starting after Colonel Blake and Trapper John left. Maybe it was a good show in the final years, but it was not the same show. For those of us who stuck with it anyway - for the occasional glimpse of what it used to be - the finale was the final insult. It’s good to know that others felt otherwise.

21. Djagir Aug 30th 2008 at 04:57 pm 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

FWIW, half of the Sunday paper gets delivered here on Saturday (I still don’t know why), but there’s actually one more installment in the Sunday strip that gives a “so where are they now” wrap-up. At the very least, it gives a little more closure (whether or not you choose to like it is another question).

22. Judge Mental Aug 30th 2008 at 05:52 pm 22

Oy vey,
    You are the first M*A*S*H watcher I have heard who expressed the opinion that the M*A*S*H finale was anything but one of the greatest episodes of TV ever, finale or otherwise. Doesn’t make either one of us right, just evidently we run in different circles.

I agree that the show definitely took a turn after Henry and Trapper left, but IMHO, I think it got *much* better. I loved the more serious story lines while still maintaining clever and humorous dialog.

23. ZBicyclist Aug 30th 2008 at 06:16 pm 23

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

As a strip ending, it’s fine. Not every plot line is tied up, but then life is like that.

One could expect a bit of a sappy, sentimental ending from a strip that is sappy and sentimental — but I’ve enjoyed a lot over the years.

24. David Welsh Aug 30th 2008 at 06:52 pm 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The St. Elsewhere ending is one of several where the writers decided to destroy the concept of the show in the ending. Rosanne and Newhart are some others, each of them giving a bizarre final season as they approached cancellation.

The worst ending I can think of is The Prisoner. All these years later, I’m still hoping for a remake of some sort. The final episode made less sense than anything else in the series.

25. Bob Peters Aug 30th 2008 at 06:58 pm 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Moonlighting.” The entire last season went directly away from what it had gotten the audience expecting and wanting.

26. Dave Aug 30th 2008 at 07:24 pm 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Put me in the group that loved the last episode of M*A*S*H. Granted, the whole series went on way longer than it should have, but at least the finale was appropriate for tying up unended story lines. It has been known as one of the better send-off shows of all time. However, the BEST TV show finale was for the Newhart show. Anybody remember that one?

27. David Aug 30th 2008 at 09:41 pm 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Worst TV finale aside, since that’s an argument that everyone loses, Lynn has delivered herself unto my hands with her comment “This concludes my story”. If her story is concluded, then why is she telling it again? When you finish one story, you either stop, or tell a new one.

I finally relized what the new-runs remind me of. When Lucas redid the Star Wars movies, I heard the comparison to pulling out a 5th grade book report and “fixing” it 20 years later, rather than doing something new with your improved abilities and tools.

28. John Aug 30th 2008 at 09:48 pm 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I can’t read this strip as being about anything other than Lynn Johnston’s husband - a cry of rage against the man who chose to end the marriage that had defined her life and work. I would love to know his account of why he left.

I can’t think of any other strips that have wrapped up their story at the end (not counting intentionally short-lived strips that were intended to end at the completion of their story). There have been good-bye strips (e.g., Peanuts and The Far Side), but that isn’t the same.

29. Cidu Bill Aug 30th 2008 at 09:56 pm 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

John Darling was the ultimate “wrapped up” comic: It ended with the title character being murdered.

30. Charles Aug 30th 2008 at 10:14 pm 30

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I thought this was a fine way to end the strip. It’s a simple reminder of the meaning of the title. My reaction was, “huh. ok.” Marriage vows are just that - vows. One commits to maintain the relationship for better or for worse. Simple as that, difficult as that. Having her say so in the strip itself is sort of like the voiceover at the end of a movie. (For some bizarre reason, Road Warrior comes to mind.)

As for The Prisoner, did any of the episodes make sense? I thought it was kind of trippy, if you will. I say this as one who loved the show and was disappointed when it ended.

31. Mark in Boston Aug 30th 2008 at 10:26 pm 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

All those TV shows with time-travel endings: I hate to point this out, but we’re going to have a time-travel thing starting Monday as we go back to 1970-whatever and do it all over again but with changes.

32. Cidu Bill Aug 30th 2008 at 10:50 pm 32

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The difference is, David, nobody’s willing to pay you tens of millions of dollars to read a revised version of your 5th grade book report.

33. ty Aug 30th 2008 at 11:01 pm 33

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Newhart - best tv ending ever. The growing absurdity of the series (and I mean that in a good way) reaches a logical conclusion, at the same time satirizing other far-fetched tv plot twists.

As for FBOFW, dig at her husband or not, Johnston has taken the premise of her strip, which also happens to be its title, and shown us its own logical conclusion. For those vows to really mean anything, a young couple must understand that dirty diapers at 3 a.m. and occasional bickering are a far cry from what “Worse” may have in store for them. Johnson probably didn’t have such a strong philosophical outlook in the early days of the strip - the title was just a bit of word-play, of course - but life experience has a way of solidifying one’s values. I consider this to be one of the better strip endings.

The only monstrosity I see here is the bitterness of some readers.

34. Powers Aug 31st 2008 at 09:13 am 34

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Agreed, ty. (And as for Newhart, getting Suzanne Pleshette back for the last episode was essential to pulling it off correctly. Then when they had a “Bob Newhart Show” reunion special, the plot developed directly from that final scene of “Newhart”, with Bob being unable to stop talking about that weird dream he had.)

John: I think another strip that ended with finality was “Gnorm Gnat”. Of course, that one didn’t last long and wasn’t syndicated.

35. Dave Aug 31st 2008 at 09:53 am 35

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

If you read Sunday’s edition of FBOFW, you’ll see how the characters ended up - including Jim.

Today’s installment is indeed the last episode before Lynn starts over.

36. Cidu Bill Aug 31st 2008 at 01:32 pm 36

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Can’t you imagine Funky Winkerbean having a similar Sunday strip? Funky’s business goes bankrupt and he begins drinking again, eventually dying of liver disease. Les develops a brain tumor and dies. Summer, Jinx and most of their friends die during a school field trip when their bus goes over a cliff. John and Pete are killed by a mugger while walking through town during a comic book convention (in a sequence drawn by guest artist John Byrne)…

37. todd Aug 31st 2008 at 02:52 pm 37

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

About the Happy Days ending, how many kids were mentioned? I believe Chuck, the oldest son, ceased to exist by the second season.

38. todd Aug 31st 2008 at 03:02 pm 38

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

With the Star Wars Special Editions, with the exception of Greedo shooting first, the alterations were primarily just Lucas testing the technology to see what he could do in preparation for the prequels.

The changes to the DVD releases are another matter.

39. Arvy Aug 31st 2008 at 05:23 pm 39

Todd,

Didn’t he also add in Luke screaming as he fell after his battle with Darth Vader?

40. Derek Aug 31st 2008 at 07:14 pm 40

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Roseanne” has a pretty terrible ending, where she revealed that she had been making the whole thing up, and in “reality” Dan had died, she had swapped Becky and Darlene’s husbands, and Jackie was a lesbian (or something like that). I don’t see the point of a show that we all know to be fiction suddenly declaring that everything we had seen up to that point was actually pretend even within the fictional universe. It’s not big and it’s not clever.

41. Norm Aug 31st 2008 at 08:05 pm 41

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Best strip ending = Calvin & Hobbes. This was not bad. Look, at least she got Grandpa Jim off his deathbed.

42. Bob Peters Aug 31st 2008 at 08:18 pm 42

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The August 31, 2008 Opus looks like a pretty good cartoon for a strip finale, but I’ll be disappointed and miss it if it is.

43. Richard Aug 31st 2008 at 08:25 pm 43

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I don’t want to turn this into a big Trek thing or an argument with CIU Bill, whom I greatly admitre, but in answer to his quesiton in comment #17 above, I thought both “The City On The Edge of Forever” and “Yesterday’s Enterprise” had internal logic that worked and made a lot more sense than “All Good Things” - or whatever the name of hte last “ST:TNG” episode was called.

44. Richard Aug 31st 2008 at 08:58 pm 44

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Does anyone else think that Sarah Palin looks an awful lot like Elly Patterson?

45. Cidu Bill Aug 31st 2008 at 09:17 pm 45

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Richard, “City” was about as close to a faultless time travel episode as television has ever produced. “Yesterday’s Enterprise” had one huge flaw that could easily have been fixed: If Enterprise D (or some other factor from its time) had pulled E-C ahead in time, that would correctly have changed history — but if E-C was thrown forward by some force in its own time, then the so-called “changed history” should have been the “real history.”

So if the writers had come up with a different reason for E-C to become displaced — and seriously, how difficult would that have been, since it was just an excuse anyway? — it would have been a near-perfect episode.

Sorry if I owe you a couple of Advils now, but you remember what O’Brien said about time travel.

46. Cidu Bill Aug 31st 2008 at 09:21 pm 46

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Oh, and all that being said, I really liked “Yesterday’s Enterprise.” I’m also a big fan of Dr. Who, which not only doesn’t even try to make sense in regard to time travel, but employs an entire set of natural laws that doesn’t correspond with those that exist in our universe.

47. Mark in Boston Aug 31st 2008 at 10:58 pm 47

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

What became of Anthony’s first child Francie? Did they send her off to an orphanage?

48. Cidu Bill Aug 31st 2008 at 11:04 pm 48

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Francine has been in the strip quite a lot over the past few weeks. She was a flower girl, and pointed out to Meredith and Robin that she was going to be their step-cousin (or something along those lines)

49. LC Aug 31st 2008 at 11:17 pm 49

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

*wait till he sees the REAL ending*

A full panel sunday monstrosity with more words than MacBeth which basically says “oops, I’m going to restart this series from day 1 and see how it turns out.”

50. catlover Sep 1st 2008 at 02:35 am 50

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

What a devious plan! John Patterson was a dentist; Bob Newhart was a dentist. In the Sunday panel, John wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette; Anthony is played by Tom Posten, who was previously played by Troy Donahue; and Michael is played by Peter Scolari, coming off a failed relationship with Tom Hanks.

51. Patrick Sep 1st 2008 at 02:49 am 51

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

When was Bob Newhart a dentist? He was a psychologist on the first show and an author who owned an inn in the second one.

52. Seismic-2 Sep 1st 2008 at 05:25 am 52

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Carl, not only did the shows in #12 tie in with St. Elsewhere, but so did “Cheers”, and that of course tied in with “Wings” and of course “Frazier” as well as with “The Simpsons”, “Family Guy”, the short-lived “Tortellis”, and even “Disneyland”, and that in turn tied in with just about everything on ABC ever, and… We thus see that **most** of television is thus a story imagined inside a snow globe by an autistic child. Come to think of it, that explains a lot, doesn’t it?

53. Mark in Boston Sep 1st 2008 at 10:42 am 53

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, but where’s Francine in Sunday’s epilogue? Suddenly Anthony and Liz have one child and it’s not Francine. Now that they have their “first child”, poor Francine will be the unloved step-child living in a closet under the stairs.

54. Kelly Sep 1st 2008 at 02:58 pm 54

Seinfeld

55. catlover Sep 1st 2008 at 03:38 pm 55

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Patrick - you are absolutely right; it was way too early to think straight. _Jerry Robinson_ (Peter Bonerz) was the dentist. Marcia Wallace went on to greater fame as Edna Krabappel.

56. The Ploughman Sep 1st 2008 at 03:47 pm 56

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

For my recent complaints about FBOFW, it’s nice to see a strip finish its story (more or less) instead of having the Pattersons outlive their relevance (does anybody relate to Gasoline Alley anymore?)

I’ll echo the “Calvin and Hobbes” ending as the best ever sentiment; perfect way to end the strip without ending the adventure.

My geek side will defend the ST:TNG ending as a great one. It did everything a final episode should - paid homage to the show’s past, involved all the characters of the present, and gave a glimpse of what the future might hold. If we want to complain about ST elements that don’t make sense, we should talk about the Nexus in “Generations.”

Worst ever… have to remain in geek mode. ST: Voyager was two hours that answered only one question introduced in the series: whether or not Voyager got back to Earth. Over time, that question became one of the less interesting in my mind.

57. Cidu Bill Sep 1st 2008 at 05:41 pm 57

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I had no great problem with the STTNG finale because, I agree, it did what it was intended to do: act as a series finale while at the same time not “wrap anything up.”

I also agree with you on Voyager: The Janeway ex machina was a pretty cheap way of getting them home.

But the thing is, it didn’t have to be: On paper, Voyager should have been a good show start to finish. It wasn’t a bad premise, the cast of characters showed promise, and even most of the episode summaries had potential. The problem, right down the line, was the execution: Every time a specific creative decision had to be made, it was made wrong. As a writer, this drove me crazy. I felt like shouting at the screen every week “If you’d given me the damn script before you filmed it, I could have made this a good episode for you.”

Birds of Prey was another example: There’s no reason that show should have been the stinker it was — the failure was all in the execution.

But I digress.

A lot.

58. DocBob Sep 2nd 2008 at 01:49 pm 58

CIDU Bill

Yes I was talking about the ending of the 5th season. I know that the last minute TNT contract screwed everything up and they changed the last episode for year 4 to year 5, but still as an ending it just seemed to go away so quietly after building up to a huge ending. As I remember it, Sheridan visits the space station, relives old times, they have a dinner, and then he just joins both the good and the bad sides as they cross over the threshold.

My brain may be faulty though….

59. Michael Brown Sep 2nd 2008 at 01:58 pm 59

Comments.

Well, as noted the Sunday strip answered the questions about what happens to these characters next. Personally, I was taken by surprised by all this. I had missed totally any announcement about the 2nd change over with FBOFW and the rebooted new/old strips (whatever they are calling them).

As to some of the other series.

B5’s ending was just fine. The problem they had, as pointed out, was that when they thought they weren’t going to have a 5th (and final) session, they ended the Shadow War storyline in the 4th session, and did a series finale. So when they were told they got the final 5th session, the storyline intended for what would have been the later half of the fifth, had to be more or less stretched out for the whole session. And the series finale was held back for the actual series ending, and a new session finale done. Its too bad the other follow-up series never happened (Crusade due to stupidy by TNT, and Legends of the Rangers for whatever reason). Now it appears we won’t see any more direct-to-video sequals, and the movie is a no go (cause Hollywood wants to replace all the main characters with ‘name’ actors).

ST:NG ending was a big doppy. But kind of what you expect from NG.

ST:Voyager ending was also annoying. I really wanted, say, another half hour or so to see the characters REALLY reach Earth and find out what happened when they got there. All we know of any of the Voyager characters was that Janeway became Admiral (and why not Picard??).

ST:Ent ending was annoying, but in another way, as I thought (like others) it was too focused on the NG characters. Too bad they didn’t get a couple more sessions to do the storylines they had planned. Would have been interesting, I think. Watching the reruns, I’ve really come to like the show, more or less.

Can’t comment about St. Elsewhere, as I never watched the show. And while I’ve watched MASH many times over the years, I really can’t recall too much about the final episode to say if it was good or bad.

60. DPWally Sep 2nd 2008 at 02:06 pm 60

Defending a few TV finales

M*A*S*H - The series was much more drama than comedy by its end, and the finale continued that. The finale was so successful, and considered so brilliant (by everyone except Oy Vey) that it created the expectation that TV series end with finales instead of just ending with a few hasty goodbyes. Since M*A*S*H, most successful series have ended with a finale, most of them disappointing.

Star Trek: TNG - I remember that episode and wasn’t aware it was the finale, which supports Bill’s observation that it didn’t attempt to wrap up the series. The episode was well aware of the paradoxes it created and destroyed (mostly with explosions).

Roseanne - That series went downhill in its last year farther and faster than I thought possible. In a 2-minute series-ending voiceover, Roseanne created a family tragedy, showed deep insight into her previously not-so-deep character, and (almost) justified the last season’s idiocy. If you get a chance, I recommend suffering through one episode from that season then watching the finale.

61. Rasheed Sep 2nd 2008 at 06:24 pm 61

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I liked the finale of ST:TNG in retrospect, especially considering the heaping garbage ball that was Star Trek: Generations.

As for Worst. Television. Finale. Ever. I would have a hard time picking just one since most of the series finales I’ve ever seen HAD been garbage balls. But I remember one Saturday night, April 25, 1992, when I was a wee-lad, and ABC dumped finales of Who’s the Boss?, Growing Pains, and MacGyver down our throats in one fell swoop. I remember being really disappointed three times that night.

62. Brian Leahy Sep 2nd 2008 at 08:31 pm 62

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The soap-opera satire “Soap” ended on a 4 or 5-way cliffhanger, with almost every major character about to be killed by another major character.

Either brilliant or awful, depending on your perspective.

Also, though I’ve heard many passionate defenses of it, I didn’t like The Sopranos’ ending.

63. Canaduck Sep 3rd 2008 at 02:25 am 63

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I agree with you, Derek: the last episode of Roseanne was unbelievably awful. Of course, so was the last season or two.

And I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the final episode of Seinfeld…

64. Michael Brown Sep 3rd 2008 at 11:20 am 64

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“And I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the final episode of Seinfeld…”

Well, since you brought it up…

I thought about mentioning it, but thought better of it.

Never being a big fan of the show (tho I have seen many of them), I don’t recall much about the finale other then it was really stupid and was an odd lenght (hour and 15 minutes?)

65. eeyore19 Sep 3rd 2008 at 07:34 pm 65

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

My wife commented to me yesterday about this strip: she wondered why it was that Iris got to be the one to deliver the big closing speech. She figured if anyone deserved to be the one to end the strip (esp. with a comment about “for better or for worse”) it should have been Ellie.

66. GregD May 4th 2009 at 02:10 pm 66

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m surprised no one picked teh finaleof Magnum, PI. In order to spend more time with the biological daughter he just inherited from his murdered ex-girlfriend/spy, he joins the Navy??!

67. Cidu Bill May 4th 2009 at 02:27 pm 67

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Magnum didn’t qualify for Worst Finale because the entire final season was an abomination: The writers seemed to resent being there for the additional season, and made it clear that they hated every character on the show, killing them off or destroying their lives.

As far as I’m concerned, the series ended with Magnum walking into the fog.

68. ZZaoo Oct 14th 2009 at 03:49 pm 68

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I LOVED the Star Trek Next Generations finale “All Good Things….”. It was very well written. It was well paced, engaging and exciting. As for paradoxes : remember that Q arranged for things to happen that way…

Compare that to the Voyager stinker : Janeway goes back in time just so that he can save a few crew members….that is so stupid! Yeah, and in the future, the holographic Doctor gets married…arrgghhh. Whatever.

69. NitricAcid May 21st 2010 at 12:42 pm 69

Dallas.

My grandfather watched Dallas regularly, but died a few months before the finale. I watched it with my Grandma, who declared, “It’s a good thing Jim wasn’t alive to see that.”

70. Daniel J. Drazen May 21st 2010 at 12:53 pm 70

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“St. Elsewhere” gets my nod for worse finale; Auschlander in a super suit was one of many WTF moments in that one.

Since we canceled our cable years ago and can’t get the ABC affiliate from anywhere over the air in our corner of SW Michigan, I was never into “Lost” and am not going to care what happens because I won’t be able to see it anyway.

FBOFW did officially “end” with an American Graffiti-style Sunday panel update, which seemed appropriate enough. Note: the old guy hung in there but died anyway later on. Cue “Circle of Life.”

71. Karen May 21st 2010 at 12:57 pm 71

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Count me in with those who liked “All Good Things…” the Next Gen finale. But then, I just adored it because it had Q. Q, one of my favorite all-time sci fi characters. If i have a mischievous cat I’ll name it Q.

St Elsewhere was the dumbest finale ever. Of course, the last season was just bad overall. I remember being a kid, watching it with my parents, thinking, “Why are they letting me watch this?” Especially when they redesigned one hall of the hospital to resemble a birth canal or some such.

My husband wasn’t pleased with the Battlestar Galactica finale, but I liked it. I didn’t mind that some things were left unanswered. That’s life. Not everything in real life is explainable or revealed.

72. James Schend May 21st 2010 at 02:10 pm 72

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Just a point about Lost: I stopped watching when the producers did an interview (shortly after the first season I think) where they explained that all the mysteries of the island can be explained without using sci-fi or fantasy elements. First thing they showed the next season? A smoke-monster.

Screw that show. They’ve obviously had no clue where to take it from day one. And I hate blatant liars. :)

73. Czhorat May 21st 2010 at 03:22 pm 73

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Off on a tangent here, but Re:Babylon 5, my favorite thing about the series finale is how, at the very end before the station was to be decommissioned, a nameless tech turns out the lights. that tech, of course, was played by series creator J M Stravinsky.

Bonus geek points for anyone who remembers which SF writer and which comic strip writer also got cameos in B5.

74. Czhorat May 21st 2010 at 03:25 pm 74

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

My problem with “all good things” was a little glitch the way they handled anti-time. If it grew “backwards”, the future Enterprise should have seen a tiny anomaly which shrank to nothing when the Enterprise initiated the tachyon pulse which “created” it. To give the future folk something to look at, it could have grown in BOTH temporal vectors from this “zero point”.

75. PeterW May 21st 2010 at 03:31 pm 75

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“All Good Things” had a gaping hole in its own internal logic, but the answer to the less-immediate question, “why didn’t the negative space wedgie destroy humanity and void the story,” is because Q made the whole thing as a test. Also the episode itself admits that humanity causing humanity to never exist is a paradox. That’s what *happens* when you have a time travel story. While everybody dumps on it for its techno-logic, its plot logic, character development, and dialogue were all spot-on. It’s generally considered a good finale, though Deep Space Nine may have had a better one.

Voyager’s “Endgame” didn’t bother me by getting the Doctor married (to a woman we’ve never seen before) as much as “answering” the question of what name the Doctor would take with, “oh, sod it all. Call me Joe.”

I haven’t seen many proper finales, to name many bad ones, really. I guess Family Matters had a bad finale, but most would probably argue it had a better finale than it deserved.

76. PeterW May 21st 2010 at 03:32 pm 76

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

That’s a very good logic patch, Czhorat. I’ve never seen it suggested.

77. paperboy May 21st 2010 at 03:32 pm 77

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I never watched “St. Elsewhere” but I wished I did when I heard about the finale; I thought that was cool. Same with “Roseanne”, never watched it, but, because it (she?) was so popular, I knew about the plot-line. I watched the ending and I thought it had a good emotional power.
    “For Better Or Worse” was never a favorite, but I’m a sucker for strips that have the characters age. I liked the ending, and was sad when I heard about Johnston’s marital troubles and also that the strip would not retire to soft-cover compilations.
    That said, the “Lost” finale IS gonna suck. As ZBicyclist#23 says, (not in reference to “Lost”) “Not every plot line is tied up, but then life is like that.” Yes, we know that; but if someone starts a narrative, we hope that the teller knows where he’s going; otherwise we don’t need story-tellers: we already lead lives where don’t know the answers.

78. Cidu Bill May 21st 2010 at 03:33 pm 78

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Czorat, I’d guess Harlan Ellison for the SF writer. And I’ll take a WAG and say Scott Adams for the comic strips writer.

79. Jeff S. May 21st 2010 at 03:37 pm 79

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

It’s hard for me to imagine a worse ending to a worse show than Lost. Like James above, I stopped watching after the first season, and I don’t believe it’s possible for me to care any less about ANY tv show. Entertainment Weekly (err… Lost Weekly), has had Lost cover articles about once a month this season (probably more). It will NEVER be explained to anyone’s complete satisfaction.

If they could explain why a 350+ lb man can live on an island and STILL BE 350+ lbs, except by cannibalism, THEN I might have been interested. The show is now and always has been a stinker. The viewers are the only ones who are Lost.

80. Cidu Bill May 21st 2010 at 03:44 pm 80

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I absolutely agree, Paperboy: If you set up a story as a big mystery, then after 7 years, you damn well better all the questions.

Jeff, the issue of Hurley’s weight was addressed in the show: The first two or three seasons only covered a couple of months, so a man with a slow metabolism might not lose very much weight. After that point, they found the bunker and interacted with the Others, the Other Others and the Other Other Others, so food was fairly plentiful — and we saw that Hurley really knew his way around a Ho Ho.

81. Czhorat May 21st 2010 at 03:54 pm 81

Bill,

Got it in one.

Ellison was a psy-cop doing something dastardly to a prisoner.

When Garibaldi tried life as a PI after losing his job as head of station security, Scott Adams was a potential client of his. He claimed to be looking for his dog “who wanted to take over the world”.

My other favorite bit of B5 trivia is that two veteran SF actors had major roles. Walter Koenig, of course, and a grown-up Bill Mumy.

@Jeff S: The problem with the portrayal of castaways on “Lost” is that 10 seasons of Survivor have shown us what a castaway looks like. They look much more ragged much more quickly than the “Lost” castaways.

82. Matthew May 21st 2010 at 04:01 pm 82

Worst Series Finale:

Reaper. I hate this mostly because it is not a series finale but a “oh no all are characters are at a low point in the show episode.” Then out comes the cryptic pep talk that all this was meant to happen because you have a great destiny to fulfill next season but more about that later next year. So it basically ends with a great cliffhanger and a tune in next time trailer for next season and the series just ends there.

83. Matthew May 21st 2010 at 04:17 pm 83

CZhorat:

Okay, but if we are going to argue about clothing not wearing out and ample food supplies for an island of castaways not being realistic than I have two words for you: Gilligan’s Island. Also, who carries around several million dollars just for fun on a one day cruise ship?

84. Czhorat May 21st 2010 at 04:19 pm 84

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yeah, but Gilligan’s Island was intentionally a joke. Lost was supposed to be serious.

85. not given May 21st 2010 at 04:19 pm 85

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Sarah Connor Chronicles. I’d kill for the rest of the story.

86. More fantasy, less reality, no baby blues May 21st 2010 at 05:07 pm 86

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Highlander: An It’s a Wonderful Life ripoff, with no conclusion, or satisfaction, completely pointless.
    All in the Family: The final years turned to shit, as Archie became a nice guy, the annoying brat Stephanie was introduced, and the spinoff, Archie Bunker’s Place was, somehow, much worse.
    Millenium: Seasons two and three were bastardized, then, at the end, no resolution to the plot, no explanation for the mysteries, total bullshit.
    N.Y.P.D. Blue: Things became especially interesting after Sipowics’s partner’s death, as he became crazier, and more violent. Half a season later, however, Sipowics suffered the same fate as Archie Bunker, and the show continued for far too many years of unwatchable shit.

87. More fantasy, less reality, no baby blues May 21st 2010 at 05:23 pm 87

Endings from other media:

A.I: The ending was perfect when (spoiler: The robot found a fairy statue and prayed to it until the end of the world,) and it should have stopped there. Aliens, however, appeared and spent the next intolerable half an hour explaining that everyone had gone to heaven and the mother could be resurrected through a plot contrivance.
    Whale Rider: Same problem: The ending hit the ideal note when (spoiler: the girl fell off the whale, and drowned) but was fucked by her being conveniently resuscitated through a plot contrivance, allowing her to live happily ever after while enraging the audience.
    Insomnia: Interesting moral ambiguity, until the end, when the main character becomes a hero in order to produce a convenient happy ending.
    Anachronox: The developers ran out of time, and money halfway throught he game, so the conclusion was extremely abrupt, and unsatisfying. Fuck Ion Storm!
    Baldur’s Gate: Throne of Baal: This was supposed to be the epic conclusion to an excellent role-playing series, with complex quests, interesting characters, and lots of variety. Interplay, however, decided to destroy everything that made its company good, and the game turned into a dull hack-and-slash dungeon crawler.
    Borderlands: A short, pointless message is the entirety of the ending to the horribly overrated story of this horribly overrated game.
    Grapes of Wrath: A girl gives birth, and says something about a shed, the entire conclusion of a 500 page story. I suspect Steinbeck was running short of a publisher’s deadline.
    Canterbury Tales: Chaucer died before he could finish the story, so the greatest tale in the world ended witht he characters about to enter the fabled paradise, and, presumably, trigger the conclusion.

88. More fantasy, less reality, no baby blues May 21st 2010 at 05:49 pm 88

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Stranger: The first half is a complex philosophical work; the second half is a boring description of a boring place with a very slight amount of philosophy.
    Da Vinci Code: Hey, Dan Brown if you to keep us interested in the mystery, do not explain it halfway through the story.
    Discworld, the original computer game: The ending was filled with bugs, and the designers seemed to be aware of this, as if a bug fucked the player during the final confrontation, Granny Weatherwax would respond, “ooh, stuck are we?
    Marvel and D.C. comics: They were two of the defining comics companies for decades, but this century, their comics have been terrible. Characters spout terrible dialogue about things that we should be seeing, while many issues pass with no action, or point. Action sequences are extremely rare, and when they do happen, they are extremely short, and confusing.
    Pointless Waste of Time: It was a great absurdist website until it sold out to Cracked, made its humor much more straightforward, and was, eventually, destroyed.
    Sega: It made many great games in the old days–Phantsy Star one and four, Shining Force one and two, Sonic one through three, etc–but when Sonic Adventure came out, everything went to Hell. Sonic Adventure was horribly overrated: I played the Gamecube remake, which, to my understanding, was the same game with better games, and 5/6 of it was boring. Sonic Adventures was followed by numerous terrible games, and Sega lost all of its respect, driven to the verge of collapsing

89. chene May 21st 2010 at 05:51 pm 89

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Cop Rock. That just reeked from beginning to end.

On the other hand, there’s something extremely poetic about the Peanuts finale and Charles Schulz dying the night before the comic ran.

90. paperboy May 21st 2010 at 06:53 pm 90

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

chene#86- Thank you for writing “Charles Schulz” instead of “Charles Schultz.”

But, I liked Cop Rock.

91. Jeff S. May 21st 2010 at 09:24 pm 91

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I just got this weeks issue of Lost Weekly in the mail. It was 20 years ago when the Newhart finale aired. I LIKED that one. Seinfeld was the worst one IMO. I was merely disappointed in ST:TNG’s ending, but Seinfeld was a complete clunker.

I think to classify as a ‘worst ending ever’, a show must have a big following. I mean, I never saw Reaper (but I do know the premise), so ending it that way means nothing except to the 7 people watching it. I saw the VR5 DVDs from their first and only season. It ended in a similar fashion. ‘More to come next season!’ but Fox cancelled it. Those shows can’t count as the worst ever since not enough people thought it was one of the greatest shows ever.

I would have paid SERIOUS money to see ER end the same way St. Elsewhere ended.

92. waferthinmint May 21st 2010 at 11:56 pm 92

Sopranos made me angry!
    M*A*S*H was bad. so, so bad. but in all fairness, it was just more self-indulgent Aldaholism.
    Newhart was great.
    Arrested Development should not have ended so the ending was bad by default.
    TNG, meh. I never liked voyager.
    B5 was the best they could do considering the Network nonsense surrounding the show.

93. waferthinmint May 21st 2010 at 11:58 pm 93

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

oh, Seinfeld. I had blocked that POS from memory… mediocre clip show? that’s what you overpaid buffoons run with?

94. Brian Leahy May 22nd 2010 at 12:37 am 94

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@More Fantasy #87 — while I agree that AI’s ending was crummy, those were far-future mechas (robots) not aliens.

95. PeterW May 22nd 2010 at 01:24 am 95

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Home Improvement: good or bad?

Tim decides to quit Tool Time rather than have it continue to be degraded by his producer, Jill gets a psychiatry job that requires the family to move, Tim chooses to stand by her move instead of accepting an offer to become the producer of Tool Time, and Al and Trudy get married in the Taylors’ backyard. A clip show interrupts these proceedings as the second part of three, and then afterward cake and punch are served in a behind-the-scenes special.

96. Dave in Boston May 22nd 2010 at 02:42 am 96

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

so, nobody’s going to gripe about Book 7?

97. Cidu Bill May 22nd 2010 at 02:48 am 97

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

If you’re referring to Harry Potter Book 7, that was so long and ponderous that I think we were all just happy to see it actually end.

98. PeterW May 22nd 2010 at 03:43 am 98

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

For a series that built itself on the charm of an English boarding school that happens to teach magic, a book about three young adults camping, starving, and yelling at each other was… a bit of a shock. I think for the first time I got caught in red-herring foreshadowing.

Everybody complains about the epilogue, but I thought it fit. Most of the people who didn’t like it wanted “where are they now” bullet points or something. If you care enough about every single person’s happily ever after to complain about not getting it, you should care enough to find what the author said in interviews about the other characters. Meanwhile, the “full circle and everything’s peachy” mood was exactly the right thing to end on, in my opinion.

99. tristara May 22nd 2010 at 06:37 am 99

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

What about shows that never got any ending good or bad? Like Firefly?
    Shows that just vanish in the night (or summer hiatus) leaving us wondering WTF?
    (For the record: I am SO annoyed at Legend of the Seeker. I mean seriously, how some of the crap on tv can stay around as long as it does while other stuff just fades away……)

100. Jeff S. May 22nd 2010 at 09:28 am 100

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

tristara, Fox did Firefly absolutely no justice by juggling the timeslot AND changing the order of the episodes. People had a hard time following it. It wasn’t until it came out on DVD that it really gained a following. Granted, there was no ending episode on tv, but there was the theatrical release, Serenity, which pretty much wrapped up everything (except for the blue handed guys).

101. jambo May 22nd 2010 at 10:43 am 101

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’ve actually found this last season of Lost to be the worst so far. The acting has degraded, the explanations to date have been extremely lame and the supposed purpose of the island has been set up in such a ham-handed way that I almost don’t want to watch. Just get it over with and I can forget about it forever.
    As for a show that did end well, I think Six Feet Under was really quite good. It was my favourite show ever and the final episode really did it justice.

102. Tristara May 22nd 2010 at 11:58 am 102

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

OH YEAH! add my vote to 6FU for BEST ENDING EVER!

I was so sad to see Six Feet Under end, but the ending was almost worth losing the whole show for.

103. Winter Wallaby May 22nd 2010 at 12:59 pm 103

PeterW:

Author’s comments are non-canonical. :)

Really? What did you like about the DS9 conclusion? I found it odd and unsatisfying. The standard narrative convention for adventure stories is “The good guys face overwhelming odds, and defeat seems all but assured, and yet they somehow at the end, they find a clever and heroic way to win.” DS9 instead ended with “The bad guys are in a bad position, which gets worse and worse, as they turn on each other, until they lose, as you knew they would.” I’m not saying you have to always follow the standard narrative conventions, but they’re conventions because they work well, and you don’t violate them unless you have a good reason, which I didn’t see.

104. Adam May 22nd 2010 at 02:17 pm 104

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I loved the DS9 ending, but to be honest, the series basically spent the last half dozen episodes resolving the whole dominion war. There was nothing super climactic going in to the actual last episode because they spent several episodes setting up major plot advances such that the last episode could resolve everything related to the war quickly, end the whole pah wraith thing, and then do a bit of life will go on. All the dominoes were lined up, and the last episode just had to knock them down.

105. Carrie May 22nd 2010 at 02:43 pm 105

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Jeff S., in regards to Firefly, they wrapped up the blue handed guys’ storyline in a small series of comics that are set between Firefly and Serenity. It also shows Shepherd Book and Inara leaving the ship. Of course, I would have never known this, except that I had a friend who was super into Firefly, and he procured the comics for me when he got me into the series.

106. Sarah May 22nd 2010 at 04:29 pm 106

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

So I haven’t heard of half of these shows, and I’d say you probably haven’t heard of these either…they are mainly shows that ended before they were supposed to.

One of my first worst endings is off a Canadian show called Instant Star. It was show based on a girl winning a music contest (like American Idol or X Factor) and her life after she got “famous”. It was a more teenage show, but the music was good and I can’t really remember a bad episode of it ever. The show ended in the 4th season of the girl who won chose Music and Fame over the guy who she loved and who had asked her to marry him. At the time of shooting, they didn’t think it was going to end. It took a year after shooting to put the show out, so all it’s actor’s moved on.

Another show was Dark Angel. I think it was another show where it was expected to have more seasons. While I know some people were kind of happy with the ending, It just left me with more questions and I saw it as a show that ended very early with so much potential.

Dead Like Me was also a great show that ended way too soon. The finale was good, but I thought it had more to it and it didn’t answer all the questions on the show. They released a movie a few years later that was so bad that the tv show ending would of been better to leave it at. The movie characters were not themselves and they needed to change an actress playing one of the main characters, which ruined it for me a bit.

But with a show you have heard of, I didn’t like the Friends ending. I think it went on so long that I wanted something great to finish with. Friends ending was just like all those rom-com endings where the boy gets the girl and everything is happy happy happy.

107. Nate May 23rd 2010 at 07:56 am 107

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

St. Elsewhere: I never watched it, but I’ve always resented when TV shows pull the “you should feel bad for watching TV” card. For a long running show like St. Elsewhere to do that on its finale, and thereby wrap up with “watching TV is a huge waste of time, and beats me why anybody would want to do it” as your thesis statement, strikes me as the biggest middle-finger-to-the-fans TV has ever seen.

“The [1970’s] Bob Newhart Show” finale disappointed me because they basically redid the Mary Tyler Moore finale with the Bob Newhart characters.

108. Woodrowfan May 23rd 2010 at 08:15 am 108

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

No mention of the Sopranos? I never watched it but you would be hard-pressed to miss the screams about the black out at the end.

“Farscape” WOULD have had the worst ending ever if not for the Made-for-TV movie that tied up all the loss ends…

109. mitch4 May 23rd 2010 at 09:35 am 109

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Six Feet Under” had an excellent ending. Even though their approach was based on the sort-of-conventional trope of “where did the characters go in the future and how did they end up” — it emphasized the “end up” part, i.e. what sort of death did they reach, which was entirely in keeping with the whole series.

110. Todd May 24th 2010 at 12:37 am 110

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Tristara: If you want to know the fate of Richard from Legend of the Seeker, I recommend reading the books that the series is based on. I think they’re called the Sword of Truth novels. But the first book is called Wizard’s First Rule.

Although, I personally dropped the series after the third or fourth book. By the way, what network did the series air on? I saw the “Inspiration for the Legend of the Seeker” on the cover of a reprint, but never heard anything more about it.

111. mitch4 May 24th 2010 at 07:05 am 111

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I liked the ending of Lost, but not entirely. At least the disappointments were just about some plausible choices, not the angry sense of being misled that BSG engendered.

112. Hunt May 24th 2010 at 08:59 am 112

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I wasn’t happy with the ending of “Twin Peaks.” Probably it went on too long.

I agree with somebody up thread about the end of St. Elsewhere–I didn’t like it at the time, but in retrospect I don’t mind it.

113. ShadZ May 24th 2010 at 03:01 pm 113

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Todd: the Legends of the Seeker TV show was first-run syndication (so not on a network at all)

114. paperboy May 24th 2010 at 04:01 pm 114

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Lost ending was terrible because of the set-up. If the writers claim it was really “about the character’s relationships”, then why the need to hook viewers with the mysteries? Now it seems the only reason they did that was to avoid comparisons to “Gilligan’s Island”.
    I’m tired of lazy, unimaginative writers. The head writers were on Jimmy Kimmel, and they just came off as smart-alecky a$$-holes.

115. chene May 25th 2010 at 02:54 pm 115

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Lost is the Coldplay of TV series. They borrow and steal ideas and themes from various elements, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, reality, religion, and throw it together with a dash of great production values. Sometimes the shows ended up great, other times pretty bad and bland. But when asked to come up with a rousing finale, the writers in the end were not imaginative or talented enough to pull it off so they ended the show with sentimental schlock.

When in doubt, deus ex machina.

116. Craig May 25th 2010 at 08:32 pm 116

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Sorry I have to disagree with Quantum Leap’s finale being bad. It was planned to be a season finale with Al’s Picture at the end Morphing into one of Al, his wife and daughters.

The network pulled the plug at the last minute and the last card of Sam never coming home was added. Considering that it was a last minute addition they didn’t do too badly IMO.

117. StoicLion Jul 1st 2010 at 02:55 pm 117

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Speaking for the Trek finales, at the time, I thought VOY’s finale was the best. But now I have to agree with a poster’s comment about Janeway ex Machina. And DS9’s finale was pretty good, considering the last half of the season was spent setting it up. I remember the feeling as Odo said goodbye to Kira, re-joined the Great Link and cured his people.

After many years, I finally saw Roseanne’s finale and agree with the general consensus here: it stunk like roadkill.

Being an animation fan, I have to add “Avatar: The Last Airbender” to the list of great finales. Three seasons of character development and plot were wrapped up perfectly in oustanding drama and action in spectacular animation. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the finale of “ReBoot” was a letdown. Not because of any flaws of the story, acting or art but because it was a cliffhanger that was never resolved.