This One’s Been Plaguing Me All Day

Cidu Bill on Apr 1st 2010

mortgage.png

Unless this is somehow a reference to underwater mortgages, I got nothing.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Exodus, Moses, Non Sequitur, Passover, Wiley Miller, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “This One’s Been Plaguing Me All Day”

1. Rid Apr 1st 2010 at 12:31 am 1

First he walked away from his mortgage, then from Egypt, then he took the Hebrews with him.

2. Izzy Apr 1st 2010 at 12:35 am 2

You know by coming up with great titles you’re only putting more pressure on yourself for future CIDU.

3. Derek Apr 1st 2010 at 03:53 am 3

I think it’s just a response to the question: “So, Moses, how did you become leader of the Israelites?”. I think the Red Sea parting is just the easiest way of telling us that it’s Moses.

4. Bearman Apr 1st 2010 at 06:39 am 4

He was the first of many to “free” themselves from his mortgage thus becoming a defacto leader.

5. Bleeding Gums Murphy Apr 1st 2010 at 08:04 am 5

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most of the people walking away from their mortgages are “under water” (houses worth less than the debt on them).

6. drdan Apr 1st 2010 at 08:28 am 6

Great Title

7. Keera Apr 1st 2010 at 09:01 am 7

What Derek said.

8. AMC Apr 1st 2010 at 09:05 am 8

He’s parting the red ink sea.

9. Seth Finkelstein Apr 1st 2010 at 09:26 am 9

Yes, it’s a reference to “underwater” mortgages.

It’s a humorous juxtaposition of the phrase, with the idea of that Moses can cause the sea to part so that he’d ordinarily be “under water”, but because he’s Moses, he’s not under water. Roughly “I decided to walk away from my mortgages, since it’s “underwater”, but since I’m Moses, I’m not under water - and a bunch of other people in the same position followed me because I have this power, so that’s how things got started”.

Yeah, explaining kills the joke.

10. Judge Mental Apr 1st 2010 at 09:40 am 10

JMO, but I think the whole “underwater mortgage” interpretation is off-base. I think he is simply addressing the question “Why did you make the decision to become nomadic?”

11. padraig Apr 1st 2010 at 10:27 am 11

Unless I Seder jokes on this blog are getting better, I’m gonna Passover it.

12. Charlene Apr 1st 2010 at 11:42 am 12

Matzo matter with you, padraig?

13. zbicyclist Apr 1st 2010 at 11:48 am 13

Seth seems to have it.

There’s possibly an added reference to the fact that while well-organized bankers have gotten hundreds of billions of bailout money, underwater mortgage holders have shown little organizational ability and have gotten very little except grief and foreclosures.

To me, this lack of political organizing seems surprising. Perhaps, like the Hebrew slaves, those underwater are waiting for a leader.

14. Scott Apr 1st 2010 at 12:43 pm 14

Why is this strip different from all other strips?

Besides the underwater stuff, people feel slave to their payments, there are a lot of them, and Moses led them to freedom from the banks. Not to mention the Hebrews walked away from their homes also.

15. Bleeding Gums Murphy Apr 1st 2010 at 05:01 pm 15

zbicyclist…isn’t it a little unduly optimistic to think that those who are in such dire financial straits as to be in the situation where they might walk away from their mortgages have the time/ability/money to politically organize? It would seem to me that most are just trying to survive.

16. FeelinOld Apr 1st 2010 at 11:01 pm 16

So maybe I don’t pay enough attention to the news, but this page is the first time I’d run across the term “Underwater Mortgage”, as a result all I got was he left his home and started wandering and ended up here. (But if I remember correctly wasn’t the wandering AFTER the red sea?)

17. Cidu Bill Apr 1st 2010 at 11:14 pm 17

Correct, FeelinOld: the parting of the Red Sea was the escape from Egypt, but then God forced the Israelites to wander ther desert for 40 years before reaching Canaan to punish them for losing their faith.

18. FeelinOld Apr 1st 2010 at 11:58 pm 18

So my memory isn’t that bad after all, I read the Bible cover to cover when I was about 12. My mom told me to look at it as stilted scifi/fantasy just as a way to get me to read it. Since then I’ve also read the Pali Canon, Quran, Rig Vedas, Bagavet Geetha (among many others, those are the only four I can remember off the top of my head and who knows about the spelling) And all of that just managed to solidify my agnostic stance… I don’t know and I’m not gonna worry about it…

19. David A. Rooney Apr 2nd 2010 at 09:54 pm 19

They wandered the desert for 40 years because Moses wouldn’t ask directions and nobody had a GPS. That’s why God chose that time, place and people. If he tried it today, the “Passover Tweets” would have been real and they’d all have arrived at their destination by lunch.

20. FeelinOld Apr 3rd 2010 at 05:09 pm 20

David: Gee, I got part way through the through the first sentence “They wandered the desert for 40 years because Moses wouldn’t ask directions” and glanced up at the name expecting a men wont ask for directions joke…

Of course the GPS is starting to make that joke obsolete.

21. Mark in Boston Apr 4th 2010 at 04:22 pm 21

Based on the stories of what kind of directions some GPS units are giving, it will be “They wandered the desert for 40 years because Moses kept following the directions the GPS unit gave him.”