Funky Cacaobean

Cidu Bill on Mar 10th 2010

legume.gif
Presumably “not a tuber” is analogous to “not a tumor”;
the rest of it, and why these are m&m’s, remains a mystery.

Filed in Bizarro, CIDU, Dan Piraro, comic strips, comics, humor, m&m's | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Funky Cacaobean”

1. Richard Mar 10th 2010 at 12:07 am 1

I think it has something to do with the large M&M having a peanut inside.

2. PeterW Mar 10th 2010 at 12:08 am 2

It’s not a tumor, just a peanut.

3. Kamino Neko Mar 10th 2010 at 12:09 am 3

Yeah. Peanut == Legume. The big yellow guy is a peanut M&M. The large growth inside him is a legume, not the tuber he and Red (apparently his gay lover) were dreading.

4. Robert Mar 10th 2010 at 01:02 am 4

Yeah, Kamino, I noticed that as well - they’ve just outed Plain and Peanut!

What next, a sultry ad with Green and Portia di Rossi?

5. tristara Mar 10th 2010 at 03:59 am 5

Peanuts grow under the ground on a plant that looks like potatoes. Potatoes are tubers. Peanuts are not tubers or nuts either for that matter, they are legumes. He doesn’t have a tuber, he has a legume. Phonetic coincidence re: tuber vs. tumor.
    mildly funny. very very mild.

6. Rasheed Mar 10th 2010 at 09:16 am 6

Yeah, I’m more concerned about the eyeball sitting on the model’s GI tract (I know it’s one of the Easter eggs or whatever, but still disturbing)

7. Whiteeagle Mar 10th 2010 at 09:44 am 7

Not only did they get outed, the peanut one is a blond. That explains everything.

8. Pirk Mar 10th 2010 at 11:09 am 8

Still, I’d say Bizarro’s worst jokes are better than about 75% of the other syndicated comic strips’ best jokes.

9. mkilby Mar 10th 2010 at 11:14 am 9

@ Rasheed (6) - At least the grossness of the eyeball made it easy to find. Of the 4 “eggs”, the three “objects” were not difficult, but it took me a while to discover the elusive “K2″.

10. HeroSteve Mar 10th 2010 at 12:58 pm 10

I know it’s been said that “tuber” => “tumor” but nobody mentioned what I thought: “legume” => “lesion”. Although a tumor can be a lesion, but here they’re saying it’s not a tuber, just a legume.

11. Chakolate Mar 10th 2010 at 03:23 pm 11

This was a LOL for me - I loved it.

And I want to congratulate Kamino Neko and Robert on being able to sex an M&M. Or are you assuming that all are male?

12. ty Mar 10th 2010 at 03:30 pm 12

Chakolate - Their voices on the TV commercials make their sex obvious. (Assuming the colors are correct. I don’t follow them that closely.) There is a female M&M; in one commercial she decribes herself as “the eye candy.”

13. Chakolate Mar 10th 2010 at 03:39 pm 13

Ah - then I should have congratulated them on their ability to tell one red M&M from another, eh?

14. ty Mar 10th 2010 at 04:07 pm 14

That is so racist! You wouldn’t say that if they were Smarties.

15. CIDU Bill Mar 10th 2010 at 04:08 pm 15

American Smarties or Canadian Smarties?

16. Kamino Neko Mar 10th 2010 at 04:54 pm 16

All of the M&M characters, save Green, are male.

There are also the Minis, but they’re more a force of nature than characters.

(I should gather up and photograph my M&M collection…I’ve got tons of stuff with all the different characters…except Orange…never seen him before the site, actually. Got Red, Peanut (I will never call him Yellow! Never!), Blue, and Green, though.)

17. Chuck Mar 11th 2010 at 04:54 am 17

Chakolate, there is only one M&M of each color. Except… wow, there’s no brown one….

18. Elyrest Mar 11th 2010 at 11:24 am 18

Chuck (17) There’s no tan either. It’s like the poor little guy never existed.

19. Pirk Mar 11th 2010 at 12:45 pm 19

17 - which seems awfully racist

20. Elyrest Mar 11th 2010 at 01:16 pm 20

Pirk - I think if anything it is “colorist”. M&Ms don’t appear to have races. Although they are legume and legumeless.

21. Chuck Mar 11th 2010 at 02:24 pm 21

Elryst, they don’t sell than M&Ms (in a normal pack). It just struck me that they DO sell brown M&MS and yet there is no brown M&M character.

22. Chakolate Mar 11th 2010 at 03:59 pm 22

You know, I’m going to give up being whimsical. It appears I have lost the knack.

As for brown M&M’s, does anybody else remember that originally *all* M&M’s were dark brown? When they diversified the colors, they had a commercial of the brown ones diving into a pool, supposedly of color, and coming out the other end all different colors.

It’s silly what you still remember 45 years later, isn’t it?

23. Pirk Mar 11th 2010 at 10:27 pm 23

22 Chakolate -
    I saw that commercial on TV Land

24. Rain Mar 13th 2010 at 05:01 am 24

I really, really miss the light brown ones :-(

25. Harise Mar 15th 2010 at 05:29 pm 25

Chakolate! I just remembered that commercial as I was reading, omg. that was the flashiest flasback ever. I probably saw it on a black and white tv too.

I didn’t get this joke either, but when I read the explanation, I really thought it was funny.

26. Chakolate Mar 15th 2010 at 11:15 pm 26

I remember it in black and white, so I probably did, too.