Snowmen

Cidu Bill on Feb 26th 2010

snowmen.gif

I’m particularly confused by the use of the word “those.”

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, snowmen | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Snowmen”

1. John Small Berries Feb 26th 2010 at 01:44 pm 1

“We’ve replaced Arlo in one of these panels with Popeye. Let’s see if the readers can tell the difference!”

2. Nicole Feb 26th 2010 at 01:50 pm 2

I suspect that the black spots in panel three are multiple lumps of coal. Arlo is assuming that they from multiple snowfolk and wonders where they have gone.
    Or more in keeping with my reputation.

Ther was a snow man and snow woman .. they got naked by removing thier lumps of caol. They are merilly involved in snowfolk sex, but Arlo wanting to watch is upset that he can’t find them, because without their ‘clothes’ they are invisible, as snow on snow.

But my question is why does Arlo look as though he is 70 years old in this comic

3. paperboy Feb 26th 2010 at 03:06 pm 3

He’s either “in character” and appalled that no kids have made snow-men, like he did when he was young (they’re probably inside, making “virtual snow-men”, for crisake) or he’s breaking the fourth wall, wondering where the usual comic-strip snow props are.

4. Elyrest Feb 26th 2010 at 03:06 pm 4

I’m not surprised to see this here as I was going to send it myself. All I could come up with was Arlo was looking for the snowmen that all the children should have been making or remembering all the wee little snowmen Calvin & Hobbes made once. It seems as if it should be more obvious that that though.

And yes, Arlo looks as if he has turned into his grumpy old grandfather.

5. AMC Feb 26th 2010 at 03:57 pm 5

In this comic, Arlo looks about four feet tall.

6. buzz Feb 26th 2010 at 04:30 pm 6

Calvin & Hobbes reference

7. John Small Berries Feb 26th 2010 at 04:37 pm 7

I thought he was knee-deep in snow, but upon closer inspection, especially in the fourth panel, those are definitely his feet only a few inches below his pockets.

Bizarre.

8. That's Me Feb 26th 2010 at 05:15 pm 8

Calvin & Hobbes is all I can think of too. As for the feet, “Dorf on Snowmen”?

9. paperboy Feb 26th 2010 at 07:06 pm 9

Dammit, AMC & John Small Berries; I thought Elyrest & I got it, but pointing out those short legs adds a mystery. Perhaps he’s supposed to resemble comic-strip kids as in “Peanuts” or Calvin? (is that what you meant, buzz#6?)

10. Jeff S. Feb 26th 2010 at 09:46 pm 10

buzz has it right. Calvin would make several thousand snowmen each winter. Those snowmen are no longer there since there is no more C&H.

11. padraig Feb 26th 2010 at 11:00 pm 11

Up hyar in snow country the later snows don’t generate quite as much enthusiasm as the early ones did. So the old snowmen have melted down to nubs and nobody feels like making new ones. Apologies if you’re in Miami and this makes no sense.

12. George P Feb 27th 2010 at 01:58 am 12

I found a Web site with a large collection of Calvin and Hobbes snowman strips, and this didn’t seem to fit with any of them. You’d think he’d at least wear a hat like Calvin’s dad’s. Now there’s a bunch of apostrophes in one sentence.

13. Heather D Feb 27th 2010 at 08:21 am 13

Yeah but C&H haven’t been around for a looooooooong time, so there’s no context to make that clearly the joke. I’m stumped.

14. Powers Feb 27th 2010 at 08:57 am 14

His legs aren’t short; his coat is long and foofy.

15. Dyfsunctional Feb 27th 2010 at 09:23 am 15

So long and foofy that his arms reach his knees, even bent.

16. Dyfsunctional Feb 27th 2010 at 09:37 am 16

So he’s walking to the right, crabby about something. Then he glances over his shoulder, still crabby. Suddenly, he’s walking to the left, noticing something. Then he’s facing right again, and inquiring to someone off-frame about some missing snowmen. The snowman thing is confusing enough, but the first three panels don’t help.

17. paperboy Feb 27th 2010 at 01:41 pm 17

He’s looking all around for snow-men, and shouting “to the air”, not to someone off-frame.

18. Boise Ed Feb 27th 2010 at 03:06 pm 18

Why do all the comments here appear in a hard-to-read gray?

19. The Mutt Feb 27th 2010 at 10:33 pm 19

I read it as a lament that Calvin and Hobbes is no more.

20. Mark in Boston Feb 28th 2010 at 03:13 pm 20

Is he supposed to *look* like Calvin here? Is that supposed to be Calvin’s disgusted expression in panel 1?

21. Rupert Feb 28th 2010 at 10:32 pm 21

The drawing style reminds me more of Peanuts than Calvin and Hobbes. Didn’t Linus make snowmen?

22. Rain Mar 3rd 2010 at 02:35 am 22

@ Rupert–YES, Linus did it first. There were a few Peanuts cartoons that featured multiple snowmen.

And are we sure he isn’t up to his knees in snow?

23. Todd Mar 5th 2010 at 01:37 am 23

I think the snow is supposed to be up past his knees (which is why he’s so grumpy), but the finisher or colorist “fixed” it by giving him feet. He looks around, and realizes that there are no snowmen (probably because everyone else is inside where it’s warm), and it makes him grumpier still.

I suppose, it’s just really not that funny. Like I’ve said, when a person does a daily comic strip, sometimes, they have an off day.