Smoke

Cidu Bill on Feb 26th 2010

smoke.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, F-Minus, Tony Carrillo, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Smoke”

1. Kit Feb 26th 2010 at 12:08 am 1

It’s a double . . . f-minus for having to wear smoke detectors, f-minus for the woman wanting it to match her outfit. Fashion before safety! That’s why people wear high heels, too.

2. BroBoCop Feb 26th 2010 at 01:40 am 2

I saw this as a jab at the stupidity of management - the tendency toward heavy-handed, ridiculous fixes to simple problems.

3. Jessica Feb 26th 2010 at 02:03 am 3

I think it’s just that F-minus comics are usually more droll than they are funny.

4. jjmcgaffey Feb 26th 2010 at 04:14 am 4

The previous sentence (from pretty lady) was “But it doesn’t match my (shoes, dress, purse…)!”

5. Nicole Feb 26th 2010 at 07:51 am 5

Yes part of the Joke is that she doesn’t want to wear something that doesn’t match her clothes. The other part of the joke is that her boss is stupid enough to require everyone to wear a smoke detector.

6. Bearman Feb 26th 2010 at 08:36 am 6

I think it would look better on the woman than the guy sporting it in the middle.

7. Jeff S. Feb 26th 2010 at 09:13 am 7

She needs to wear two, side by side. Aesthetically pleasing… :-)

8. Daniel J. Drazen Feb 26th 2010 at 09:38 am 8

And of course we all know that smoke detectors contain little bitty bits of radioactive material in them in order to work, so wearing one on one’s person makes perfect sense.

9. Judge Mental Feb 26th 2010 at 09:39 am 9

I do find a little humor in the implication that the women would be okay with wearing the smoke detector if it *did* match her clothes.

That is, she is not protesting the incredible stupidity of wearing the smoke detector, she is merely protesting the style/color.

10. Lola Feb 26th 2010 at 09:40 am 10

cigarette break time is going to be interesting

11. Igelino Feb 26th 2010 at 10:27 am 11

And when I think about what happens if there IS a fire. Either the fire goes unnoticed because no-one is nearby, or it scares the bejeezes out of the person wearing the thing when they would smell the smoke anyway.

12. Rainey Feb 26th 2010 at 10:28 am 12

Lola@#10. I didn’t think of that!

13. Powers Feb 26th 2010 at 10:42 am 13

The woman seems to be drawn differently than the artist’s usual style, especially her face. Is that part of the joke?

14. mitch4 Feb 26th 2010 at 11:11 am 14

But radiation-exposure badges are worn individually!

15. Eric Feb 26th 2010 at 02:20 pm 15

I’m more confused by this sentence: “I understand what he’s saying, of course, but I can’t make it make any sense in any context.” How can you understand it if it doesn’t make sense to you?

16. Cidu Bill Feb 26th 2010 at 02:23 pm 16

Eric, I understand what’s literally happening, but I don’t know why or what the joke is. If I don’t mention that, somebody will write “he’s telling hem to wear the smoke alarms because the emergency system is down, duh!”

17. Eric Feb 26th 2010 at 03:50 pm 17

Isn’t that the joke? Or does that seem like a normal non-cartoon world thing to do?

18. Elyrest Feb 26th 2010 at 04:02 pm 18

I think the problem is that F-Minus cartoons aren’t really jokes. They just seem to be more “what would happen if….” setups. There might be a short chuckle imagining something, but usually I just wonder why I still read them.

And I agree with Powers (13). The woman is drawn in a different style than usual. Maybe she’s supposed to be exotic.

19. mitch4 Feb 26th 2010 at 09:23 pm 19

I’m not sure about “exotic” but would agree she’s meant to be somewhere in the attractive / stylish / hot orbit. And McGaffey’s (#4) take on the preceding dialogue sounds right — she’d be one to bring up matching, the boss isn’t introducing the concept but responding.

20. Jeff S. Feb 26th 2010 at 09:48 pm 20

Paint them gold for some functional giant bling!