Tiger Woods is giving a speech tomorrow.

Cidu Bill on Feb 18th 2010

ABC, CBS and NBC will all be carrying it live.

Seriously, now… has the entire world gone insane?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Tiger Woods, media | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Tiger Woods is giving a speech tomorrow.”

1. Rasheed Feb 18th 2010 at 03:26 pm 1

Eh, they probably cleared the slate just in case Obama felt like saying something. Tiger’s filler.

2. Philip Feb 18th 2010 at 03:27 pm 2

Why yes, yes it has…
    But it happened long ago, and you know it, Bill

3. Elyrest Feb 18th 2010 at 03:33 pm 3

Yep. Mad, crazy, loony or whatever you want to call it. When I was kid I thought the world would make sense when I got older, but it hasn’t happened yet. What makes it even crazier is that I was raised on the grounds of a state mental hospital so the people I was around set the bar pretty low.

4. Robert Feb 18th 2010 at 03:41 pm 4

I keep imagining that we’re in a science-fiction novel - when you look at it that way, it all makes sense.
    I’m glad neither of my sons has heard about this, or if they have, have not thought to ask me, “Pop, who’s Tiger Woods and why is he giving a speech on TV?”

5. padraig Feb 18th 2010 at 03:44 pm 5

…followed by the mixed martial arts PPV match pitting Elin, her mother, and two of their nannies against four selected Tiger exes. (Which I would be WAY more likely to watch.)

6. mike Feb 18th 2010 at 03:50 pm 6

isn’t there some kind of sporting event going on right now that people all over the world have some interest in, for which NBC is receiving a lot of criticism for not carrying events live? they are obviously using the air time wisely

7. Nicole Feb 18th 2010 at 05:11 pm 7

In short …. yes.

Yesterday I passed one of the new ‘big screen’ billboards on it was the “top news story” :
    Tiger Woods to address the media

So yes… the world has gone mad

“We are all mad here” …. the Chesire Cat.

8. furrykef Feb 18th 2010 at 05:51 pm 8

Actually, I think the world made more sense when I was younger…

9. Craig Feb 18th 2010 at 06:27 pm 9

Yeah the world is mad. Been that way for a long long time now.

“Insanity is part of the times! You must learn to embrace the madness, let it fire you.”
    –Londo Mollari

10. David N Feb 18th 2010 at 07:33 pm 10

Not only does it not have to be carried live, but heck, don’t we already know what he’s going to say? It’s not like he’s going to introduce all his girlfriends and give a little background on them each or something, like favorite position.

But if does go off script and start talking about that little move he likes to call “The Purring Tiger”, I bet the networks switch away in a hurry!

Still ain’t watching.

11. Winter Wallaby Feb 18th 2010 at 08:09 pm 11

In short, no. “Gone insane” implies a previous state of sanity.

Do you understand nothing about how ratings work? :)

12. Jeff S. Feb 18th 2010 at 11:12 pm 12

The amazing thing is, only a select few reporters are allowed to go, and they aren’t even allowed to ask any questions! His speech isn’t going to be about what he did wrong… it’s going to be about how he was wronged by what happened. He’s only sorry he got caught. And finally, why give it on Friday when there is a golf tournament going on? Oh yeah, because it’s the Accenture Match Play Tournament… one of the sponsors that dropped Tiger. He’s acting like a ‘little kitten’ by trying to get back at one of his ex-sponsors, and the other players are upset by the timing of his statement. It’s taking attention away from those golfers who are actually PLAYING!

13. John Small Berries Feb 19th 2010 at 12:25 am 13

Hey, why should the media limit themselves to being stenographers for the politicians? Surely they can push their limits and expand into a whole new world of reporting verbatim what celebrities say as well.

14. paperboy Feb 19th 2010 at 01:40 am 14

But Tiger isn’t just some “celebrity” who’s “famous-for-being-famous”; this is a guy who can consistently hit a ball into a hole with the least number of strokes than anybody today: attention must be paid.

15. Tom T. Feb 19th 2010 at 07:14 am 15

Wait until they start asking Pres. Obama for his reactions to Tiger’s remarks.

16. Tim O'Shenko Feb 19th 2010 at 11:39 am 16

Just you wait. Tiger’s gonna announce he’s discovered how to cure cancer, revive the economy, and put an end to world poverty in one fell swoop. In this little press conference, he will singlehandedly bring about world peace, restoring his own tarnished image, and CNN and FOX will be kicking themselves for not covering it.

17. Kate C Feb 19th 2010 at 12:41 pm 17

I really love the idea of someone, somewhere watching this apology and thinking, “You know, I was pretty angry at him before, but now, I’ll forgive him.”

18. Nicole Feb 19th 2010 at 01:05 pm 18

Here is a question : President Obama state of the union address did not conflict with the season premier of LOST for fear of a cry of protest fromt he LOST fans. Would Tiger Woods be able to give his apology during LOST ?

19. Winter Wallaby Feb 19th 2010 at 02:26 pm 19

Nicole, that’s an interesting variation on the “What happens when an irresistable force meets and immovable object” paradox. :)

20. Susan T-O Feb 19th 2010 at 09:49 pm 20

Sooo, let me get this straight. Those of us on the West Coast, despite being in the same time zone as Vancouver, had to wait three cussword hours to see the opening ceremonies, but NBC is going to show this speech (which I doubt many people care about in the slightest) live? And here I thought I couldn’t get any more annoyed with that network.

21. Mark in Boston Feb 20th 2010 at 11:59 am 21

paperboy: “into a hole with the least number of strokes”? Yeah, that’s what SHE said.

22. David N Feb 20th 2010 at 09:33 pm 22

Yeah Mark, nice one. But I gotta tell you, if someone thinks that sex is the same as golf and you are trying to get the fewest strokes as possible - I think someone might be doing it wrong. ;)

Maybe he should have apologized for “practicing” so much …

23. CIDU Bill Feb 20th 2010 at 09:48 pm 23

Or he should have been more careful about where he placed his putz.