”Autopsy”???

Cidu Bill on Feb 15th 2010

autopsy.png

Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Bill Bickel, Brooke McEldowney, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “”Autopsy”???”

1. Rumpelstiltskin Feb 15th 2010 at 06:32 pm 1

She’d be necking with a “corpse” or “conducting” an autopsy. I think Brooke got his concepts mixed up — not too surprising, perhaps, given how off the wall Pibgorn seems to be heading — but maybe he meant “necking with an autopsy [subject]” implied or maybe there’s an obscure definition for “autopsy” buried in the OED that fits.

2. WhitneyD Feb 15th 2010 at 06:53 pm 2

My guess is that he tried to get it through with corpse, and somehow of all things, they said it’d be a no-go. So he went with autopsy, which implies the dead body without saying corpse. And sadly, without making sense.

3. George P Feb 15th 2010 at 06:54 pm 3

Does this appear in print? Maybe he put in “corpse” and he was asked to change it, so he did “autopsy subject”, but it wouldn’t fit, so…

4. paperboy Feb 15th 2010 at 07:43 pm 4

She does look blonde; maybe she’s speaking in character.

5. waferthinmint Feb 15th 2010 at 08:05 pm 5

Synecdoche. it’s fine as is. quit yer bellyachin’.

6. Heather D Feb 15th 2010 at 09:05 pm 6

Huh. I confess I didn’t even notice that when I read the comic this morning. My brain interpreted it with the obviously-intended meaning of “corpse”, without even noticing that the phrasing, as it stands, doesn’t make sense. So I can totally believe that Brooke didn’t notice it either heh…

7. paperboy Feb 15th 2010 at 09:10 pm 7

waferthinmint#4- high-five for using “synecdoche”.

8. Kit Feb 15th 2010 at 10:20 pm 8

Don’t the men in Brooke’s comics always end up a little stiff?

9. Mark in Boston Feb 15th 2010 at 10:29 pm 9

Speaking of “synecdoche”, the classic example of it is “May I have your daughter’s hand in marriage?”. To which the only proper reply is, “Are you sure that’s the body part you want?”

10. Taigan Feb 15th 2010 at 10:49 pm 10

I was going to comment on the use of “necking” but apparently this scene takes place in the 40’s.

11. Keynote Feb 15th 2010 at 11:17 pm 11

I suppose she’d like that necking session to be a little less autopsy and a little more topsy turvy.

12. Lola Feb 15th 2010 at 11:29 pm 12

maybe it was supposed to be during an autopsy.

13. mkilby Feb 16th 2010 at 01:47 am 13

@ Rumpelstiltskin (1) - I checked my Concise OED: no, there’s no secret definition of autopsy that refers to the object of the examination, the official meaning is restricted to the process itself. However, it was good that I had the OED out: that made it easier to figure out what waferthinmint (4) meant with “synecdoche“.

P.S. (off-topic): Germans find the English pronunciation of “Rumpelstiltskin” very amusing. The original name is spelled “Rumpelstilzchen” (pronounced approximately “room-pel-steelts-schen”.

14. Sam Feb 16th 2010 at 07:31 am 14

Surely he meant Cadaver… but, it’s still not funny. hmm….

15. waferthinmint Feb 16th 2010 at 11:13 am 15

Mkilby: I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be obscure.

16. mkilby Feb 16th 2010 at 01:54 pm 16

@ waferthinmint (14) - Not at all, quite the opposite. Always happy to learn new words, that’s why I like browsing through the dictionary at times.

17. Elyrest Feb 16th 2010 at 02:54 pm 17

“that’s why I like browsing through the dictionary at times”

mkilby - I love to browse through dictionaries. I keep one on the shelf behind my bed so that when I’m reading and come across a word I don’t know I can look it up. The downside of this is that I often find that I have spent longer in the dictionary than reading my book. One word always leads to another.

18. mkilby Feb 17th 2010 at 02:08 am 18

One word always leads to another.

It’s like eating peanuts. My mother actually bought a bookstand (like a mini lectern) for her Webster’s Unabridged, which lives on a counter in her kitchen, of all places. The whole family finds it amusing to have a dictionary in the kitchen, but we all refer to it every so often, and not just for crosswords.

19. Dan Feb 17th 2010 at 03:47 pm 19

What did the necrophiliac say to the corpse as she gave him a striptease?

“A bra, cadaver!”

20. Pinny Feb 18th 2010 at 07:12 pm 20

From “Music and Lyrics”

“Figuring out you and me
    Is like doing a love autopsy
    They could operate all day long
    And never figure out what went wrong
    Love autopsy