LOL-February 1

Keera:
ok-buckets.png

Nicole:
snow2.jpg

Jon Delfin:
clam.pnghelper.png

Chuck Douglas: The tech nerd in my laughed at this one:
ipad.png

Keera Ann Fox:

dam.png

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Buckets, Dave Coverly, Doonesbury, G.B. Trudeau, Garfield, Jim Davis, Jimmy Johnson, John Deering, New Yorker, Pearls Before Swine, Speed Bump, Stephan Pastis, Strange Brew, comic strips, comics, comics that made us laugh out loud, humor, iPad, lol | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “LOL-February 1”

1. Arthur Feb 1st 2010 at 12:24 am 1

I was going to send the Strange Brew one in as a CIDU. Would someone please enlighten me?

Also, I like the Garfield, but I think it would have been better without the last balloon.

2. Slager Feb 1st 2010 at 12:27 am 2

Hamburger… helper. It took me a second, too. Clever, though!

3. dnd Feb 1st 2010 at 12:37 am 3

I don’t get it.

4. Arthur Feb 1st 2010 at 01:27 am 4

Thanks, Slager. I might have had a better chance if the psychiatrist hadn’t been a hand.
    I kept thinking it might be a “talk to the hand” joke, but then why a hamburger?

5. Kamino Neko Feb 1st 2010 at 01:30 am 5

The psychiatrist isn’t just a hand…he’s the Hamburger Helper mascot.

6. Kevin A Feb 1st 2010 at 02:22 am 6

I couldn’t place the glove character even though I knew that I knew it well; I feel that the thin chain-store-like patty through me off.

I think that most burgers that a person gets in restaurants or makes at home have considerably thicker beef patties in them.

With a regular looking hamburger, the rest of the clues would have led me to guess the icon was Hamburger Helper.

7. Nebulous Feb 1st 2010 at 06:48 am 7

Re:the Buckets strip.
    I work in a store near a large retirement community.
    You NEVER ask one of the residents how they’re doing unless you want to hear their full medical history.

8. Nicole Feb 1st 2010 at 07:29 am 8

re: Pearls …. you saw it coming …lol

9. mkilby Feb 1st 2010 at 08:35 am 9

I knew he was building up to a real groaner of a pun, but I did not suspect what it would be until I hit the second-to-last panel. This one (and a few others that Pastis has committed) sort of reminded me of the mangled clues for phrases used in the game “You Don’t Know JACK!”

10. Morris Keesan Feb 1st 2010 at 08:36 am 10

Nicole, yes, I did. I was thinking of sending this in as a “hands up everyone who saw it coming in the second panel” strip. “Gone With the Wind”, “Frank Lee”, and “dam” were enough to telegraph most of it to me, although I didn’t get the ” ’s Car Lot” until the explanation in the last panel. But it was really too much of a “saw it coming” to be real LOL for me.

11. chuckers Feb 1st 2010 at 08:47 am 11

Another hand up for seeing it coming on the PBS strip. However, the drug thing through me. Wasn’t sure where he was going with that one.

Oh, and is the Arlo one an Arlo or am I overthinking it?

Not sure I quite grasp all of the snowman murder scene.

12. Nicole Feb 1st 2010 at 09:04 am 12

I think the whole reason Steve P. draws PBS is to come up with the most tortured set up for a pun imaginable.

Chuckers # 11 — this is just a play on a common theme of “This is the most horrible murder scene we’ve ever witnessed” — and I liked the idea of the cute bunnies commiting homicide — shades of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (with sharp pointy teeth)

13. Kevin Madden Feb 1st 2010 at 10:03 am 13

The bunnies didn’t commit homicide, they were just eating the remains.

14. Keera Feb 1st 2010 at 11:06 am 14

Sneezing oyster is a LOL for me. And not a bad name for a band. ;-)

15. MellowCake Feb 1st 2010 at 11:59 am 15

It’s been said that the Pun is the lowest form of humour and Pastis takes it about as low as you can go.

Seriously, the Pearls Before Swine pun strips cause me physical pain - and I’m a very Mellow sort of Cake.

16. David Feb 1st 2010 at 12:27 pm 16

Regarding PBS, according to Spider Robinson, the mildest response to a pun is groaning, the ultimate response is “for everyone to hold their nose and flee screaming into the night.”

17. Nicole Feb 1st 2010 at 12:46 pm 17

MellowCake #15 — Funny, I have always thought of the pun as the highest form of humor. They are often done on the fly, require the punster to be quick witted and able to make obscure connections in a split second and in most cases do not create humor at the expense of others

I love the PBS puns. This one was pretty obvious, but most are far more obtuse. You can tell the set up is coming but not what and then … bam. Long Live Stephan Pastis

18. Lord-z Feb 1st 2010 at 02:33 pm 18

That PBS, you can see the punchline a mile away, but, somehow, it doesn’t matter and it is still hilarious. I have no idea how the hell Pastis does it, but I am jealous of that ability.

19. paperboy Feb 1st 2010 at 03:21 pm 19

Yeah, I love the way Pastis’ acknowledges they’re groaners; the laborious set-up is a great running gag.

20. FeelinOld Feb 1st 2010 at 05:23 pm 20

Queryosity: What comic is the snowman murder? I vaguely recognize the style, but just can’t quite place it.

21. Mark in Boston Feb 1st 2010 at 05:35 pm 21

Pastis’ puns are nothing compared to Frank Muir’s and Dennis Norden’s tortured puns on the old radio show “My Word” (reruns broadcast every Sunday night at 10:30 (Eastern Time) on WBUR in Boston, and available at http://www.wbur.org).

Just for a sample, challenged to pun the line “I like to be beside the seaside” from the song “By the Beautiful Sea”, Frank launched into a long story as to how he invented a new kind of phonograph record. In addition to the normal two sides, it was thick and had a third side engraved on the edge like an Edison cylinder. He made a prototype, writing and performing three songs. The first side was a Song of the Open Road, and the second side was a protest song (something about “Why Does the Council Not Replace the Light Bulbs”), and the third song was a love song (”To be beside my love; to be beside my dear; to be beside myself with love; is to be beside you, my dear”).

Frank admitted he didn’t think much of the A side, the Song of the Open Road, or the B side, the protest song, but “I like ‘To Be Beside,’ the C side.”

22. Nicole Feb 2nd 2010 at 08:04 am 22

FeelinOld #20
    Edmund Finney’s Quest to Find the Meaning of Life
    an online comic that can be found here

23. Karen Feb 2nd 2010 at 09:17 am 23

The bunnies didn’t commit the murder; they’re after the carrot. Like when somebody dies out in the forest and the animals get to him before he’s found.

24. Jeff S. Feb 2nd 2010 at 11:41 am 24

Of course, the CSI snowmen will catch, kill, and disect the bunnies so they can find the KEY piece of the victim’s DNA contained in their stomachs to solve the icy murder.

25. MrKenneth Feb 2nd 2010 at 06:11 pm 25

Pastis rocks!

26. firedmyass Feb 3rd 2010 at 03:22 pm 26

Mark in Boston #21:

Hope this doesn’t read as dickery directed at you, but is that example even technically a pun? It’s just a contrived set-up that results in literally repeating the original phrase (except “sea” becomes “C”) word-for-word. More like “use this phrase in a sentence employing a strained and affected manner.”

As my me-maw would say, “bless their hearts, but that’s some thin gravy.”

27. Todd Feb 7th 2010 at 01:21 am 27

I have to admit, I didn’t get Pearls until Rat explained it in the final box. But, for me, the funniest part of the pun strips is Rat threatening or insulting Pastis.

How can anyone make an Arlo out of this Arlo?

I guess I’m going to have to read the Doonesbury for that week. The Apple tablet fell short of even my expectations, and I wasn’t expecting it to be anything more than Apple doing a tablet.