WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (4864) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » A Thought…

A Thought…

on Jan 16th 2010

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Along the lines of the classic “outside in your underwear” and “showing up for school and they’re giving a test and you’re not prepared” bad dreams, I wonder whether anybody’s had a nightmare focusing on leaving the house without their cell phone.

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (4864) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (4864) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 31 responses so far

31 Responses to “A Thought…”

1. Charlene Jan 16th 2010 at 05:30 pm 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Not me, but I once dreamed that I couldn’t find my cellphone anywhere. This was only last week, just after I bought a new cellphone.

2. furrykef Jan 16th 2010 at 07:09 pm 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Certainly not me… I hate leaving my house with my cell phone.

3. Kate C Jan 16th 2010 at 08:48 pm 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I had a job a couple years back that involved a lot of driving, usually in the middle of nowhere, and depended on my cell phone, partly as a way to keep in touch with my supervisor, partly as a way of keeping in touch with family and friends (It was a stressful job, and I often needed to vent), and partly just me being fearful of emergencies, and I did, in fact, have a nightmare where I was out on the road and couldn’t find my cell phone!

4. Robert Jan 16th 2010 at 09:21 pm 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’ve had dreams in which I had my cell phone, but had the greatest difficulty actually using it.
    E.g., the screen display would morph into something completely non-phone-related, or the buttons would do almost everything BUT dial a phone number.

As I recall, this is also true in lucid dreaming - electrical or electronic devices routinely malfunction.

5. Cidu Bill Jan 16th 2010 at 09:23 pm 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I would think that in a lucid dream, you could just get the device working against fairly easily.

6. Rachael Jan 16th 2010 at 09:53 pm 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

oh for me, it’s the thought that haunts me during the day:
    1) if i go to school and leave my cell at home and the place burns, my memories on my phone are gone.
    2) if i take it to school and leave it in my locker and the place burns, my memories are gone
    3) if i take it to school, keep it with me, it goes off and gets confiscated, and the place burns my memories are gone
    (or any of these with someone breaking in and stealing stuff)
    but,
    4) if i take it, leave it with me and get in a fight or get shoved or in any way my phone breaks, my memories may be gone
    (i worry deeply for the photos and videos that i have only on my phone that are important to me in some mental way)
    Being Pyro and being Paranoid don’t go together ‘:l

7. Dave in Boston Jan 16th 2010 at 11:42 pm 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

…and if your phone breaks just because it’s a piece of electronics and they do that, your memories are gone too.

Make backups.

8. Elyrest Jan 16th 2010 at 11:47 pm 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Being Pyro and being Paranoid don’t go together ‘:l”

Rachael - You’re starting to worry me a little. Are you going to start all those fires that destroy all your memories? If so - ask for help. If not - stop worrying.

9. turquoise cow Jan 17th 2010 at 12:11 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I occasionally leave my phone behind when i go to work, which isn’t a big deal since I rarely use it at work anyway. Of course, when I do leave it behind, I return to find that I’ve missed a few calls or messages. When I have it on me, I get no calls or messages. Go figure. So it wouldn’t be a major nightmare for me.

One of the signs that you’re having a dream is that it’s impossible to read things. When you look at a paper (or an electronic screen, I suppose), it appears to be gibberish, or it makes sense, but when you look away and then look back it says something else entirely. In theory, if you know these signs, when you are having such an experience in a dream, you’ll know it’s a dream and then it becomes a lucid dream, at which point it may simply end, or you might be able to control what happens in the dream.

10. Cidu Bill Jan 17th 2010 at 12:20 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Cow, that’s a myth: I frequently read in my dreams. Last night, in fact, I read in both English and French.

Maybe that sort of thing is unusual; but if anybody does it, “impossible” no longer applies.

11. Elyrest Jan 17th 2010 at 01:03 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I have dreams, OK nightmares, where I try to scream. Only I can’t do it. This, of course, scares me even more. Usually my husband just wakes me up as I have done this more than once. Recently though when I had a dream, and tried to scream and couldn’t, I immediately thought - oh, that means I’m dreaming and I woke right up w/o the extra fear factor.

And I did have one of those “showing up for school and they’re giving a test and you’re not prepared” bad dreams, but it wasn’t a dream. It was real life and it was a midterm in an anthropology class that I forgot I was even taking. How to forget a whole class? Skip a class. Then skip again. Then it snowballs.

12. Chuck Jan 17th 2010 at 02:18 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Cidu Bill, I once had a lucid dream where I forgot my cellphone. I just concentrated really hard and it materialized in my hand. I also changed my outfit in much the same way. Strange thing is, even in lucid dreams logic is not all there. I had to get to the other side of a long wall, and since I knew I was dreaming, I made a hole appear in the wall. Saved me lots of time! What I didn’t seem to realize was that since it was a dream, I didn’t actually NEED to get there at all.

As far is reading in my dreams, I WRITE in my dreams. Also sometimes I chat online in my dreams. I once had a conversation with someone via text message in a dream, which is strange because I don’t text.

13. Keera Jan 17th 2010 at 04:15 am 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I am in the process of buying a new cell phone and it will be an iPhone simply because that’s the one they’re making most of the apps for (clincher: Our major broadcaster made a radio app for the iPhone). When I get that thing, meant to replace both camera, current cell phone and PIM, then I’ll have reason to fear forgetting it. Or losing it. (<– Interpret any way you like.)

14. Carl Jan 17th 2010 at 09:23 am 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I never leave my phone behind, at least when I’m driving. I hate commercial radio, and I use my phone as a podcast player in my car. As soon as I sit down I plug it into the cassette adapter. If I don’t have it I just go back inside and get it.

15. Nicole Jan 17th 2010 at 09:36 am 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Elyrest # 11 … yes, that happens to me all the time. I try to scream and I can’t. All that comes out is some moaning that gets louder and louder till it wakes me up.

I think this has to do with the fact that your muscles lock while you are asleep to prevent you from moving around. But I find that not being able to scream adds to the nightmare.

16. Andrea Jan 17th 2010 at 12:11 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The only phone-related nightmare scenario I can think of is where some kind of Bad Guy(details may vary, but could be any number of characters) is about to burst upon the scene, and I’m grabbing the phone to dial 911, only for some reason I am incapable of completing the call. I keep dialing it wrong, or needing to dial 9 first for an outside line, or something, and can’t get it to work right, and meanwhile the Bad Guy is getting closer and closer…

17. Elyrest Jan 17th 2010 at 12:24 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“I find that not being able to scream adds to the nightmare.”

Nicole (15) - One thing that has bothered me was thinking that since I can’t scream when there’s danger in a dream maybe I won’t be able to if something happens in real life. Of course, in my very calm everyday life, I am unlikely to be chased by my dream boogie monsters. Sometimes, when alone, I scream just to keep in practice.

18. Rachael Jan 17th 2010 at 02:21 pm 18

@Elyrest #8
    i’m not mentally Pyro. don’t worry :) i just like fire (don’t know why) i don’t set fires i just play with the campfire and burn leaves and sticks and stuff (not safe, but fun) :)

19. Charlene Jan 17th 2010 at 03:01 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Guess what I dreamed about last night, Bill? The power of suggestion is mighty indeed. And of course in my dream I had a medical emergency and couldn’t call 911, and the only person around was George Carlin who mocked and belittled me and told me I was making up the medical emergency for attention because I was crazy and stupid.

20. Aaron Jan 19th 2010 at 07:58 am 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I used to be a “Mac Genuis” at Apple. People would occasionally come in with an iPhone that had obviously been dropped in the sink or otherwise gotten wet (the indicators have to get VERY wet, incidentally, to void the warranty).

Needless to say, this was usually distressful to customers as they would be on the hook for a new phone (ha! “on the hook!” from that other thread).

My point, and I do have one (channelling Ellen Degeneres again), is that my ONLY anxiety dream is some variation of jumping or falling in the water and realizing my iPhone is in my pocket. I swear I have that dream several times a month.

21. bAT L. Jan 21st 2010 at 07:20 am 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’ve never dreamed of my cell phone, but then it’s still a bit of an alien creature to me, so I don’t consider it a part of myself. My wristwatch, on the other hand, is a part of me which is just kind of there, dream or not.

I have had the ‘naked in class’ dream quite a few times, but it never makes me nervous. I just kind of realize I forgot my clothes that day, then look around to see that nobody seems to notice or care, really, so I just go about my classwork and hope to get home to some clothes in a few hours. The odd thing is, if it were real life I’d be embarrassed out of my face!

Also, yes, the inability to read in dreams is a fallacy, depending on what type of dreaming you’re doing. I often have incredibly realistic dreams, and I can always read and write in the languages I know. In fact, I once was putting books in order (I worked at a library at the time) and when I woke up and quickly wrote down the catalog numbers, they were all in order. And these were the 364.1523s! Those are tricky because there are also quite a few 364.1532s. I also dream in full color, which is accurate too. I think this is because I dream more with one side of my brain than the other, but some researcher out there should really do the actually studies.

22. Dan W. Feb 3rd 2010 at 01:05 pm 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Never had a dream involving my cell phone. Of course, I’ve never had a dream about being in public in my underwear or being unprepared for a test at school, either. Maybe there’s something wrong with me? :-P

23. Keera May 30th 2013 at 04:51 pm 23

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Wow. I don’t know what that other Keera was thinking. I don’t like the iPhone.

Bill’s original question only applies if you’re not a geezer, IMO.

24. Lola May 30th 2013 at 06:03 pm 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I don’t need to be asleep to have this nightmare. I do it in real life and it’s an incredibly naked, unprepared feeling where I worry obsessively where it could possibly be and will I ever see it again.

25. Morris Keesan May 31st 2013 at 02:24 pm 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m often without my cell phone, and when I have it with me, it’s often turned off.
    But I do read while I’m dreaming. It’s not unusual for me to fall asleep while reading a book, and dream the next few pages.
    When I wake up and try to continue reading the physical page, I sometimes get quite confused when I realize that what I was reading in my dream didn’t actually happen in the author’s version of the book.

26. Elyrest May 31st 2013 at 02:52 pm 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Morris Keesan - I have that same dream reading thing happen to me. I often read mysteries and I’ll solve the whole thing while I’m sleeping, only to continue reading the next day and discover that the book was completely different. I don’t think that I have ever actually solved a mystery this way either. Had fun though!

27. Cidu Bill May 31st 2013 at 02:54 pm 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Morris, I’ve had that happen with stories I’ve written. I once rewrote a story from the beginning so that a character I’d read about in pages I hadn’t written yet would fit in neatly.

28. Morris Keesan May 31st 2013 at 03:16 pm 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I sometimes start to wake up, realize that I’ve been reading in my sleep, and manage to get myself back to sleep so that I can continue with what I was reading, knowing that I won’t be able to get it back if I wake up too much and see the book that’s on my chest.

29. Kilby May 31st 2013 at 11:12 pm 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’ve had dreams where I was still able to see the book I was holding, even though I know that my eyes are closed. The next paragraph is right there, waiting for me to focus on it - but when I try, it slips away.

30. Cidu Bill Jun 1st 2013 at 02:11 am 30

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Apparently some people can read in their dreams and some people can’t. For some reason many people who can’t are adamant that nobody can.

31. Elyrest Jun 1st 2013 at 10:38 am 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bill - Dreams do seem to be very individualistic and there’s no way to share them adequately. The funniest one can be told, briefly, but the rest are best kept to ourselves - unless you intend to write your dreams in scary stories a la Robert Louis Stevenson. I’ve talked to people who swear they never dream or remember any dreams and, if that is true, they must feel that the rest of us are a little crazy. I’ve had dreams that were so realistic that I woke, and much like Jean Luc Picard in “The Inner Light”, have felt disoriented and a little lost for a short while. Okay, that little crazy just may be right, but crazy in a good way.