and it seems to me that you lived your life like a candle in the window

Cidu Bill on Dec 23rd 2009

candles.png

The first two panels comprise a set-up and punchline. The third panel baffles me.

Filed in CIDU, Chanukah, Christmas, Cow and Boy, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “and it seems to me that you lived your life like a candle in the window”

1. Kit Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:34 pm 1

They have added Christmas decor to a Jewish household. Although “merry” in intent, it could appear to be a hate crime. Happy . . . no, wait . . .

2. fuzzmaster Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:35 pm 2

Well, the kid decided to forcibly decorate the house, not realizing the significance of the menorah. He now does, and it suddenly occurs to him that by decorating a Jewish person’s home with Christmas-themed stuff and spray-painting “Noel!” on the garage door, he has committed a hate crime. The cow sarcastically comments on this sudden understanding.

3. Mike Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:42 pm 3

I think bill’s point was that the third panel isn’t really necessary for the joke. I agree it’s not but it makes it better — the crudely spray-painted NOEL really makes it for me.

4. Kit Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:54 pm 4

@Mike ~ Oh.
    Sorry Bill!

5. schleifnet Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:56 pm 5

sadly for the artist, hanukkah ended last week

6. Fett101 Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:02 pm 6

@schleifnet
    So? Christmas lights are not on during the 25th only. There is a house down the street that has had lights, including a large menorah made out of strings of lights, on for a few weeks now.

7. Sili Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:06 pm 7

Well, some people keep their Christmas trees around well in to the new year. I don’t see why Jewish families can’t be late taking down the lights, too.

8. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:13 pm 8

I STILL think that cow is Marmaduke under witness protection.

9. Heather D Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:33 pm 9

The third panel shows that the house is not only decorated, but it’s OVER-decorated, and BADLY decorated. There’s a string of lights across the front door and candy canes for the snowman arms. And, as mentioned above, the badly spray-painted NOEL!

I agree the strip would work very well without the 3rd panel, and I don’t know that the 3rd panel necessarily ADDS to the joke, but I don’t think it necessarily takes away from it either. It just twists it a bit.

10. schleifnet Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:43 pm 10

@Fett101

but, the quote is a menorah in the window, make me think is was a regular lit one (like the ones at my house) and as a kid, we tended to take down the decorations after the holiday and not leave them up til 12th night (first night of carnival here in nola) like our christian neighbors

11. Thomas Dec 23rd 2009 at 01:49 pm 11

Well, I once left my christmas tree up till september, if that helps the conversation.

And heck, I’m jewish.

12. Keera Dec 23rd 2009 at 02:15 pm 12

Darn earworm…

13. Judge Mental Dec 23rd 2009 at 02:22 pm 13

@schleifnet

I can’t speak for Fett101, but I don’t read the comics with the presumption that just because it is appearing in print today, or that I am reading it today, that the comic is suggesting that the action is *actually* taking place today. I am perfectly okay with the strip displaying an event that may have happened ten days ago.

The fact that the time when Cow and Boy would be decorating would overlap when the menorahs would be on display is sufficient for me to meet the “rules of engagement”.

We see on-going conversations in comics all the time that consume 5 days of strips that would last less than 3 minutes in real time. It would be illogical to presume that all 5 days worth of strips *really* occurred the same day they were printed.

14. fuzzmaster Dec 23rd 2009 at 03:59 pm 14

re what the third panel adds: From the first 2, it is not certain that the kid actually carried out the forcible decorating; panel 3 makes that clear. Also, as noted above, the decorating is so over-the-top and aggressive that it mimics hate-crime actions.

LOL, not CIDU, for me.

15. mkilby Dec 23rd 2009 at 04:25 pm 15

@ Daniel J. Drazen (8) - As an alternative to the Marmaduke hypothesis, I would say that the cow is wearing a WW1 gas mask. Unfortunately, it won’t help (the goggles need to go over the eyes, not the nose).

16. Kamino Neko Dec 23rd 2009 at 10:37 pm 16

DJD…are you saying he’s in-cow-gnito?

17. waferthinmint Dec 24th 2009 at 04:41 am 17

look, i think we’d all like to keep the lights on the menorah to burn as long as the goyishe lights next door do, but who has the oil for that?

i’m surprised it lasted 8 days already!

18. aoeu Dec 24th 2009 at 10:54 am 18

Usually CIDUs have me stumped as much as the next guy, but for once I laughed and can’t see how you didn’t get it. >_<

19. Kevin A Dec 24th 2009 at 12:36 pm 19

In the third panel, Boy is experiencing a total re-framing of the situation based on the new information he just got from Cow. Cow keeps him from totally losing the positive community connection to the event. But the “NOEL!” spray-painted on the garage is the last piece that hits the focused eye, leaving no real hope of redemption. I think it adds to it.

I also agree the strip may have been even more laugh out loud with just the first 2 panels. It sure made me smile.

20. Longest August Dec 24th 2009 at 03:47 pm 20

FWIW, I always assume the events in a daily comic take place on the day the comic is run, unless the strip is part of a larger story arc. Though for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t see it as unreasonable/unlikely for the someone to still have a menorah out 3 or 4 days after Chanukah (especially if they’re as lazy as I am).

@Thomas #11: Wait, you took down your tree in September? Why not just leave it up a couple more months and save yourself the trouble the next year?

21. Cidu Bill Dec 24th 2009 at 04:00 pm 21

Well, we generally have our menorah out for a while after Chanukah ends, because my son doesn’t get home from college until after the holiday’s over. This year we held our big Chanukah party on the 22nd. I refer to it as Greek Orthodox Chanukah.

22. Todd Dec 28th 2009 at 02:01 am 22

I think Fuzzmaster has it, but it doesn’t quite read that way. There should have been another (third) panel with Boy saying “Menorah? Oh.” Then the final (fourth) panel showing the house.

Ironically, there’s nothing there that is actually Christian, except for Noel (which, according to Wikipedia is French for Christmas). Everything else is secular or pagan (the tree). And I assume that’s painted on with fake snow.

Did anyone see the Dailey Shows take on the Festival of Lights vs Christmas?

23. GP Dec 29th 2009 at 09:59 am 23

I thought it was funny after the second panel, better with the dialogue in the third, and I loled with the imagery. It’s so bad it looks less like random spreading of merriness and more like vandalism. I think I might have loled at the exclamation point on Noel alone. (i.e., If a neighbor of mine had put “NOEL!” on a garage door, I think I’d have laughed imagining how it would be vocalized — a la “Top o’ the Muffin TO YOU!”)

24. Kevin A Dec 29th 2009 at 10:57 am 24

Hah! I just noticed Bill’s title, even better after having pondered the strip for 6 days.