Maybe the CIDU Page Should Have a Mascot…

Cidu Bill on Aug 27th 2009

mascot.gif

Greg: I finally got the “joke” when I Googled “Bevo” and figured out they were all school mascots. But, when I went to the Wikipedia page listing US College mascots, I couldn’t find “Nova” listed. Any idea which school Nova belongs to?

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Maybe the CIDU Page Should Have a Mascot…”

1. donn Aug 27th 2009 at 12:09 pm 1

auburn

2. Frosted Donut Aug 27th 2009 at 12:14 pm 2

“Nova” seems to be the mascot for Auburn University, where they release a live eagle at the beginning of every football game(!).

According to this, anyway:

3. John Aug 27th 2009 at 01:14 pm 3

Oh, and the leprechan is Notre Dame. This really is quite wry

4. Dfilpus Aug 27th 2009 at 01:15 pm 4

NOVA could be Villanova, but then the mascot would be a wildcat.
    NOVA is also Northern Virginia Community College, whose team name is the Wave.

5. Dan V Aug 27th 2009 at 02:42 pm 5

“Northern Virginia Community College, whose team name is the Wave”

So instead of just cheering, do they stand up and down rhythmically?

6. yellojkt Aug 27th 2009 at 04:42 pm 6

As a Georgia Tech alumni, I am all in favor of that inbred cur Uga being mounted as a trophy on the wall. Any wall.

7. anaceofkidneys Aug 27th 2009 at 06:05 pm 7

So the UGA dog’s name is just UGA? Creative.

8. Catlover Aug 27th 2009 at 06:23 pm 8

anaceofkidneys - aye, uga.

9. GeorgiaDawg Aug 27th 2009 at 06:34 pm 9

Yellojkt, you’re just jealous that your mascot couldn’t be mounted. After all, it’s hard to mount gunk from the bottom of your shoe! See ya in November!

Anaceofkidneys- our mascot’s name is Uga VII (or Uga VI’s Loran’s Best, if you want to get technical).

10. Rasheed Aug 27th 2009 at 07:47 pm 10

When I was at St Louis University, the mascot was the Billiken. What is a billiken? I STILL don’t have an answer I like.

11. Rebecca Aug 27th 2009 at 08:37 pm 11

The mascot for Auburn is called “Aubie” and it’s a tiger. The eagle isn’t the mascot, it’s just a … I don’t know. Pre-game eagle.

12. Rasheed Aug 28th 2009 at 12:14 am 12

A Pregle?

13. Drdan Aug 28th 2009 at 02:24 am 13

isn’t a billiken named after a beloved faculty member

14. chuckers Aug 28th 2009 at 05:27 am 14

>So instead of just cheering, do they stand up and down rhythmically?

No, that would be Hiroshima Carp fans.

I have a lot of respect for their fans.

Lotte fans are fairly energetic as well but not quite as rhythmical.

15. Mitch4 Aug 28th 2009 at 05:31 am 15

@yellojkt, are you a hell of an engineer?

16. David Aug 28th 2009 at 09:46 am 16

I was told by Wash U. students that the official cheer of St. Louis U was “What the hell’s a Billiken?”

The best mascot I know of is the Wichita State Shocker http://www.goshockers.com/
    When the BB team made the Sweet 16 in 2006, the Cheerleaders were throwing the Shocker (hand gesture with depraved sexual connotation, it’s in Wikipedia) on national TV.

17. chuckers Aug 28th 2009 at 10:49 am 17

I always wonder what Ball State’s mascot is. Is it a Mason Jar or something
    Arlo-like?

18. Morris Keesan Aug 28th 2009 at 12:59 pm 18

I have no idea whether any of the colleges I’ve attended even have mascots.

19. jp Aug 28th 2009 at 05:39 pm 19

@chuckers: Ball State’s mascot used to be the Bearcat. Haven’t been out that way in a couple of decades, so things may have changed.

-jp

20. MoWatt Aug 28th 2009 at 10:51 pm 20

Wow, JP, it really has been some time since you’ve been out Muncie way. Ball State has been the Cardinals since 1926. I have never heard that they were ever the Bearcats.

21. Woodrowfan Aug 30th 2009 at 05:50 pm 21

I just want to see him try to mount a Hoya, whatever the hell THAT is…

22. zbicyclist Aug 30th 2009 at 06:55 pm 22

University of Cincinnati’s the Bearcats.

per wikipedia: “The Billiken was a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Ms. Florence Pretz of St. Louis, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream. … The Billiken was auspiciously named after the newly elected President of the United States, William Howard Taft.”

I don’t know how you get “Billiken” out of “William Howard Taft”, but …

23. Michael Brown Aug 31st 2009 at 11:17 am 23

To be preciese, the eagle at Auburn is a Golden Eagle, also referred to as the ‘war eagle’. Per the wikipedia, the war eagle is the symbol of Auburn and part of their fight song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle). Nova, btw, is the name of the current war eagle. As best as I can figure, the eagle is their mascot, “Auburn Tigers” is the name of the teams…

They have a raptor program at the school, and for many years the local chapter of APO was responsible for the upkeep of the golden eagle, until (as I understand it) someone made a issue of things, and the eagle was taken away from them, and others were put in charge of it. They tore down the aviary where the eagle was kept. I find it interesting that charges of mistreatment of the eagle was made against those who were given control after APO…

Also, Nova can refer to Nova Southeastern University in south florida, established as Nova University. But their mascat is the shark…