Family Circle

Cidu Bill on Aug 6th 2009

foreclosure.gif
Okay, so this is where the Family Circus family used to live. What’s the joke?
Actually, at first I thought this was supposed to be a grown-up Charlie Brown and Lucy Van Pelt. That would have been kind of funny.

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Family Circus, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Family Circle”

1. Charlene Aug 6th 2009 at 12:09 am 1

I think it is supposed to be Charlie Brown and the redheaded girl. Maybe the joke is that newspaper comics characters sometimes move?

2. Heather D Aug 6th 2009 at 02:11 am 2

The joke is that the happy, angelic, ‘perfect’ little family from the Family Circus, got foreclosed, left in a hurry, leaving garbage on the floor, holes in the walls, and Billy’s graffiti everywhere. Like they’re so much white trash. Or that a comic family got caught up in the mortgage crisis.

3. Kaitlyn Aug 6th 2009 at 02:15 am 3

The little dotted line is missing…

4. Annie Benson Aug 6th 2009 at 05:01 am 4

I think Heather got it exactly right.

5. yellojkt Aug 6th 2009 at 05:11 am 5

I agree with Kaitlyn. Would have been funnier with a dashed line. Or a Not Me and Ida Know.

6. Powers Aug 6th 2009 at 06:18 am 6

The “joke” is that since they’re looking at the Keanes’ house, their own comic is also encased in a circle, just like The Family Circus.

7. Mitch4 Aug 6th 2009 at 07:02 am 7

Heather D is right on! Also Powers’s note is good, but probably a secondary touch. CIDU Bill, your tag for the comic title currently reads “Argyle Sewater” — maybe that needs to be unsweatened.

8. tristara Aug 6th 2009 at 07:50 am 8

Actually not funny, kinda sad. This looks more like a political cartoon on the op-ed page than a joke. But then, maybe only the folks who had to do this would see it this way. While some think it should have Billy’s wandering marks or NotMe’s ghost, I think it should have the marks in a doorframe one makes of a child’s height each year for their birthday or the first day of school. Or the swingset in the back yard we have all outgrown but can’t imagine not having anymore.
    I have been told the picnic table I built got a good home though……
    Nope, not really funny at all…..

9. GP Aug 6th 2009 at 08:29 am 9

I think Powers kind of has it, but there’s another element to it. It’s not just that the comic is in a circle; these people moved not only into the house, but into the actual strip. The strip itself was foreclosed on, and new characters took it over.

10. Brian Aug 6th 2009 at 09:11 am 10

There is poignance about this cartoon, but it’s funny, too. Yes, that’s Charlie Brown & Lucy or the red-headed girl. The marks at the doorframe are a nice touch, but they should be deeply dug-in marks, saying something like “Billy, age 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, …”, “Jeffy, age 5, 10, 15, 20….”, &c., with the marks never rising. I’m fifty, and I think that Billy is, too.

11. Patrick Aug 6th 2009 at 10:02 am 11

I doubt that is supposed to be Charlie Brown. The sweater has diamonds on it, not a black zig-zag. Why, it’s almost as if it’s . . . an Argyle Sweater!
    (Which suggests an added level of truth to GP’s observation that not just a new family, but a new comic strip has moved into this space)

12. Mark Dalrymple Aug 6th 2009 at 10:36 am 12

Every Charlie Brown sweater I have seen has been a big black zig-zag. Never saw just diamonds. Check out http://snoopy.com for the Peanuts archive.

13. Mark Dalrymple Aug 6th 2009 at 10:37 am 13

and, of course, I should take a reading comprehension course first. Never mind.

14. Frank the curmudgeon Aug 6th 2009 at 10:49 am 14

In ‘72 I bought my first house from the family of a couple that were in a nursing home - together but unaware. My second 20+ years ago form a divorcee (male sp ?). It has crossed my mind ad to what will happen to it when we’re gone? Tear-down for a mcmansion? They’re still doing a few here. Does anyone else think the characters look like they stepped out of the ’70s? (you may not have been around to remember them but think of the re-runs - Chuck Woolery et al.)

15. Cindi Aug 6th 2009 at 07:05 pm 15

Perhaps Charlie Brown’s fashion sense has changed and he now prefers argyle sweaters……..

16. anaceofkidneys Aug 6th 2009 at 08:51 pm 16

The joke is that it’s highly unrealistic for Family Circus Dad to maintain that nice house AND support four kids, a non-working wife, and (sometimes) Grandma on a cartoonist’s pay. In the real world they would’ve been foreclosed on.

Frank - they’re still tearing down nice houses to build McMansions where I live. No end in sight, sadly.

17. Lihtox Aug 6th 2009 at 09:21 pm 17

What would be really sad would be for Charlie Brown to marry Lucy. He deserves much better than someone who has treated him like dirt since his childhood.

18. zbicyclist Aug 7th 2009 at 09:47 pm 18

It’s hard to make a joke out of the financial misfortune, and this doesn’t make it.
    Looks too much like Charlie Brown not to be a Peanuts reference, but why?

19. MoWatt Aug 7th 2009 at 11:00 pm 19

Let’s see - round head vs. oval head, pointy triangular nose vs. half circle nose, argyle sweater vs. zig zag design on t-shirt. Why, yes, zbicyclist, this character is the spitting image of Charlie Brown! It MUST be a Peanuts reference.

20. Rainey Aug 9th 2009 at 01:48 pm 20

I wonder if anybody would think of Charlie Brown were it not for the shirt the man is wearing.

21. zbicyclist Aug 9th 2009 at 03:31 pm 21

@MoWatt: I yield. I’m reading too much into a single icon (Charlie Brown’s sweater), and this is an argyle pattern. Still, that was my first thought and I’m only giving it a second thought because it showed up on CIDU.

22. Hunt Aug 10th 2009 at 09:33 am 22

This guy can’t be Charlie Brown–he has some hair. Also, he’s not round-headed.

23. Gnosh Aug 11th 2009 at 01:25 am 23

The worst part is that Bill Sr. is hanging in the closet.

24. Mitch4 Aug 11th 2009 at 08:11 pm 24

“Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama’s Hung You in the Closet and I’m Feelin’ So Sad.” One of the plays with extra-long titles, a trend (or fad) from mostly the 60s.

25. furrykef Oct 7th 2009 at 08:59 pm 25

Hey, I just thought I’d point out that you tagged this as “Argyle Sewater” rather than “Argyle Sweater”.