Synchroninjocity

Cidu Bill on Jul 15th 2009

ninja1.gifninja2.gif

Several people sent me the Lio strip as a CIDU, asking whether perhaps the second and third panel had been reversed. Nicole sent it with this comment:

It took a couple of readings to get this one. At first I thought that panels two and three were out of order. Then upon subsequent readings I realized that this was a take on the Ninja slicing at a candle SO fast that it stays together for a time before falling apart. The question I have is, did anyone else see this strip out of order and if it is that easy to misinterpret does it actually work as a comic?

My answer to her question(s) are “Yes, several,” and “It worked for me, but YMMV.”

And one day late …

Filed in Bill Bickel, Francesco Marciuliano, Lio, Mark Tatulli, Medium Large, comic strips, comics, humor, ninjas, synchronicity | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Synchroninjocity”

1. Scott Jul 15th 2009 at 09:55 pm 1

I’ve never seen the acronym YMMV before. What is it?

2. furrykef Jul 15th 2009 at 10:06 pm 2

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

Anyway, it worked for me. Maybe ’cause I watched a lot of cartoons, where it was often done on cacti, and even people.

Perhaps it’s the action in the third panel that too confusing. It looks more like a preparation than a follow-through, but I’m not sure if an action like sheathing her sword would be much clearer.

3. Sili Jul 15th 2009 at 10:33 pm 3

Has anyone ever actually seen a candle cut in half without its being disturbed?

4. MoWatt Jul 15th 2009 at 10:35 pm 4

How exactly do these several people think the panels got mixed up? It’s not like the panels are submitted individually for the editors to layout as they see fit.

5. CIDU Bill Jul 15th 2009 at 10:48 pm 5

Sili, have you ever actually seen a ninja?

6. cydu Jul 16th 2009 at 01:19 am 6

If you saw him, he wouldn’t be much of a ninja, would he?

Clearly, this chess ninja is no match for Eva Rose.

7. Daniel J. Drazen Jul 16th 2009 at 09:25 am 7

What’s really ironic is that the first time I ever saw that candle/sword bit it didn’t even involve a ninja. Tyrone Power did it in “The Mark Of Zorro” (1940!).

8. MJB Jul 16th 2009 at 09:51 am 8

Bill, it’s slightly strained, but it’s a good pun in the heading for these strips.

(If you can’t see a ninja, then are ninjas like Unitarians? You may be a Ninja and not even know it!)

9. MJB Jul 16th 2009 at 09:56 am 9

Daniel J., I’m guessing that Zorro was just an early Ninja (Mexican branch). Perhaps we could begin a new field of literary criticism: Ninja theory! Hamlet as Ninja; Leopold Bloom as Ninja (he’s already in black—so’s Hamlet, actually); Huckleberry Finn as Ninja; Ellison’s Invisible Man as Ninja (he, too, is in black, so to speak).

10. Frosted Donut Jul 16th 2009 at 10:50 am 10

Mark me down as one of those who didn’t entirely get the sequence of the Lio panels (I thought she was changing into a costume in panel 2–the fact that she didn’t have on a costume in panel 3 didn’t faze me). Still, I enjoyed the cartoon.

Realizing what really happened makes it funnier, of course. It also makes me wonder if I need an assistance animal when I read the funnies to help me get the jokes better (perhaps a laughing hyena)…

11. J-L Jul 16th 2009 at 12:07 pm 11

I got the strip (and in the correct order), but I was initially confused about the second panel:

It looks like Eva’s head was forced through a plate-glass window, and the lines we see emanating from her head are the cracks in the window. The grimace that she’s wearing in the second panel seems to indicate that she just got hit by something unpleasant.

It would seem a little odd that a clear plate-glass window should just be sitting around in the middle of a grass field, but then again, this *is* “Liò” we’re talking about.