Bonus LOLs

Cidu Bill on Jun 22nd 2009

286571.gifThis one was way too big, so please click the thumbnail.

Of course the real joke here is that Parisi not only didn’t get the day off, but had to come up with nine gags: the concept itself, and then eight individual mini-comics. The third panel was LOL material for me.

A couple of people pointed out that the second panel was off-by-a-few-days synchronicity with this.

4004a.jpg
This is a LOLIDU: It brought laughter to Nicole, who suggested that Eve is being sarcastic, which was about as useful to me as the extra panel.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Eve, Garden of Eden, God, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Zach Weiner, comic strips, comics, comics that made us laugh out loud, humor, lol, synchronicity | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Bonus LOLs”

1. Marshal Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:23 pm 1

I agree that Eve is being sarcastic. I think she is implying that he is not
    being very imaginative.

2. Steve Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:24 pm 2

I’ve had the same question. According to the Bible, Eve’s punishment for eating the apple was to suffer pain in childbirth. This means one of two things: either God changed her anatomy, or he knew in advance what she was going to do.

3. Mike Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:40 pm 3

of course he knew, he’s omniscient!

4. The Ploughman Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:44 pm 4

Maybe babies were going to be smaller before the incident in the garden. Or maybe people were going to lay eggs.

5. Lihtox Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:49 pm 5

How do we know that Parisi didn’t get the ideas from his family, like he says?

6. Kate C Jun 22nd 2009 at 01:04 pm 6

I wouldn’t be surprised if Parisi’s strip WAS ideas from his family members. Since he is a cartoonist, I’m sure he’s constantly getting unsolicited advice. Maybe this was just a clever way to use all those ideas.

7. Dave Van Domelen Jun 22nd 2009 at 01:11 pm 7

Eve’s definitely sarcastic, as in, “What NOW it’ll hurt? What was that before, moderate annoyance?” Of course, given that Eve had no kids before the booting from Eden, it doesn’t exactly make sense. Don’t poke the premise, it’s flimsy.

8. Frosted Donut Jun 22nd 2009 at 01:37 pm 8

Well, I e-mailed Parisi about this topic (and he is a heck of a nice guy and VERY responsive and when you laugh at one of his strips you should drop him an e-mail at MarkParisi@aol.com and let him know).

I said:
    ” Bill Bickel over at Comics I Don’t Understand thinks that you’re a
    hard-working guy who came up with nine different ideas for yesterday’s
    Sunday strip. I think you’re an honest, but lazy, cartoonist who really did hit up everybody you could think of for joke ideas so you could take May Day
    off.”

Mark e-mailed back:
    “You’re right, of course. These were all ideas that my family came up with. I’m not that hardworking.”

Consider it settled.

9. furrykef Jun 22nd 2009 at 02:10 pm 9

Frosted Donut - er, I hope you said it a little more nicely than that, even though it is basically what Mark claimed he did. ^^;

10. Frosted Donut Jun 22nd 2009 at 02:25 pm 10

furrykef–well, I’ve e-mailed Mark a bit over the years, so I saw no need to dwell on the niceties! :-)

In a follow-up e-mail, Mark said:
    “It can be like pulling teeth getting usable ideas from everybody. And just once a year! It probably would be easier if came up with them all myself.”

11. Kamino Neko Jun 22nd 2009 at 04:14 pm 11

I agree with Dave - the premise is obvious, but it falls apart with the slightest thought.

Eve’s being sarcastic, because of course forcing a baby out of there will hurt. But she’s never had a baby before…and besides, this is God, if he wanted it to not hurt, he could make it so babies teleported out, or Eve’s brain was wired so she’d have an orgasm as the kid came out…

12. Mitch4 Jun 22nd 2009 at 07:00 pm 12

Were they in the Garden for less than a year before the Fall and Expulsion? ‘Cause the date he gives is correct for the Creation.

13. anaceofkidneys Jun 22nd 2009 at 09:10 pm 13

Is it traditional to portray God as a sundial-looking thing? I took some art history classes in college and I don’t remember anything quite like that (thought maybe I’ve just forgotten).

I think, even though Eve hasn’t had a baby yet, she just KNOWS that having something so big force its way out of such a small hole will hurt. And now I’m hurting thinking about it. Thanks Internet.

14. Kamino Neko Jun 22nd 2009 at 10:03 pm 14

That’s how Weiner draws him. But it’s just a halo/glory/aureole that simply doesn’t show God in front of/inside it, as would be more typical.

15. LostInTarnation Jun 23rd 2009 at 03:29 am 15

About the extra panel — it’s the vagina dentata.

16. Powers Jun 23rd 2009 at 06:49 am 16

Kamino #11 - Reportedly some women do orgasm, or something like it, during childbirth, due to the application of pressure to the relevant erogenous zones.

17. Blinky The Wonder Wombat Jun 23rd 2009 at 07:58 am 17

Seems like SMBC didn’t do diligent research.

Before Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, God had no plans for them to reproduce. However, only after they nibbled on the forbidden fruit (an analogy for sex?) was Eve destined to bear children and thus experience the accompanying pain.

18. GP Jun 23rd 2009 at 08:20 am 18

There was no pain in “childbirth” when Eve was “born.” They might have assumed that if God wanted more people he’d just use the original method of anesthetizing while taking a rib.

19. aoeu Jun 23rd 2009 at 01:07 pm 19

I’ve got it!

God screwed up. His intention was for childbirth to hurt, for the ocean to be blue, for the sun to be bright. But he screwed up a bit, and now the humans are complaining, and God is sensitive about the idea - he finally fixed the childbirth thing.

20. Dan Jun 23rd 2009 at 02:00 pm 20

Vagina dentata… what a wonderful phrase….
    Vagina dentata… ain’t no passing craaaaaaze….

21. Mark in Boston Jun 23rd 2009 at 06:11 pm 21

@B the WW:
    Genesis 1:28, before the fall: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

22. tristara Jun 23rd 2009 at 08:05 pm 22

My mom says there is no Biblical reference to pain, but rather to sorrow. That women would bear children in sorrow. A mother loves her child even when it hurts in order to experience the suffering loss that God felt when Adam sinned. At least, that’s what my mom says. And it kinda makes sense to think of it that way, kinda.

23. CIDU Bill Jun 23rd 2009 at 08:12 pm 23

Of course, the difference between “pain” and “sorrow” could be a matter of translation. The difference can be within the same margin of error, as it were.