Frog Strangler

Cidu Bill on Apr 16th 2009

frogstrangler.gif

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor, weather | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Frog Strangler”

1. Mark in Boston Apr 16th 2009 at 03:16 pm 1

The color is what you see in the satellite picture on The Weather Channel. There was a similar Arlo & Janis once before: “Is that red rain?” “No, it’s only yellow rain.” “It sounds like red rain to me.” “[Life was so much less interesting before The Weather Channel.]”

I don’t know what a frog-strangler is. A rain hard enough to drown frogs?

We don’t get much red rain up here, but Jimmy Johnson gets a lot where he lives.

2. Fnord Apr 16th 2009 at 03:19 pm 2

They’re talking about the colors on the TV weather map. If it’s like the local station here, green means light rain, yellow is heavy rain, and red is severe storms.

A “frog strangler” is an expression for heavy rain, similar to “raining cats and dogs.”

3. jjmcgaffey Apr 16th 2009 at 04:19 pm 3

Stronger than that - at least in the impression I have (I don’t think I’ve heard the phrase used in real life, though). One of those rains where it’s falling so hard and fast it bounces back up a couple inches - so even an amphibian can’t breathe near the ground. And nothing but gumboots or waders will keep your legs dry…Haven’t been in one in years, but it used to happen occasionally in Virginia.

4. Bob Peters Apr 16th 2009 at 07:55 pm 4

Is a frog strangler anything like a toad choker?

Nice weather for a duck.

5. Rebecca Apr 16th 2009 at 09:36 pm 5

Dude, where I live we don’t care about red rain unless it’s showing rotation. And then I don’t care unless I think it’s going to hit my town (often does).

6. Eric Apr 16th 2009 at 10:22 pm 6

For what it’s worth, ducks actually really dislike rain.

Thought you all would like to know. :D

7. Nicole Apr 16th 2009 at 11:35 pm 7

I got that the colors referred to a weather map, but I didn’t know what a “frog strangler’ was either. Then it struck me — google frog strangler (duh) . From the Urban Dictionary

frog strangler
    noun, an exceedingly large rain storm, a torrential downpour, greater than simply “raining cats and dogs,” a rain event marked by even adept amphibians drowning.

8. Robert Warden Apr 17th 2009 at 08:34 am 8

A frog strangler is where the rain comes down so fast that it turns the dust in a frog’s throat to mud and chokes him to death before he can spit it out.

9. mrtoad Apr 17th 2009 at 09:03 am 9

Even having the terms explained, I don’t see what’s funny about it. It’s the same as saying, “Is that a heavy downpour?” “No, that would be yellow.” What’s funny about that?

10. Jester Apr 17th 2009 at 10:20 am 10

mrtoad, I believe the humor is to be derived from juxtaposition of an extremely folksy idiom to a shade of color on a doppler radar map. The joke to me is the implication that there is an entire list of colloquial expressions for rain of varying degrees that they have associated to a shade of color on the weather channel radar. Not saying it’s funny, but that is the joke I think.

11. Kamino Neko Apr 17th 2009 at 04:12 pm 11

There is no joke without both being incomprehensible to those uninitiated.

The format isn’t ‘Green rain’ ‘Heavy downpour?’ ‘No, that’s yellow’, it’s ‘Incomprehensible, scientifically precise jargon’ ‘incomprehensible, folksy idiom?’ ‘no, ispj’.

If you’re Arlo and Janis - or anyone else who follows weather radars, and lives somewhere where ‘frog strangler’ is common phrasing, it makes perfect sense. (And points out a slight difference in their personalities - Janis groks radar, whereas Arlo swears by the folksy idiom.)

Fail either of those points, and the conversation takes some figuring out. (But once you figure out what the other means by what you do know, the difference in their personalities is still clear.)

Fail both, and it’s completely impenetrable gibberish. Which makes it funny to someone in either of the first two groups, and a CIDU to group 3.

12. Brian Apr 19th 2009 at 12:35 am 12

Johnson’s point is that we’ve moved from one form of colloquial description (amusing & hyperbolic) to another form (mock-scientific & totally media-generated).

It’s akin to how we now use the colors red & blue as a much too simplistic shorthand to define political positions & places throughout the nation.

13. pepperjackcandy Apr 19th 2009 at 12:35 pm 13

I LOLed because that sounds like the kind of conversation my parents would’ve had.

And my mom (the folksy idiom one) used to use the term “gully-washer and frog strangler.” FWIW.