Hey Geriatrics! Comics!

Cidu Bill on Mar 11th 2009

I guess it’s time to start up a special section for comic strips that aren’t likely to be understood by anybody who isn’t, well, old enough to remember those Hey Kids! Comics! signs

lio090311.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Hey Geezers! Comics!, Lio, Mark Tatulli, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Hey Geriatrics! Comics!”

1. Daniel J. Drazen Mar 11th 2009 at 08:43 pm 1

Harry Angel: “Have you ever watched the Mickey mouse club?
    Well you know what today is? It’s Wednesday, anything can happen day.” Angel Heart (1987)

2. Nicole Mar 11th 2009 at 08:51 pm 2

M I C (see ya real soon) K E Y (why? because we like you)

M O U S E …………..

3. Adam! Mar 11th 2009 at 09:00 pm 3

Had to go to Wikipedia for that one. I’m not sure it’s necessary to get the joke, just an added bonus for the generation who would name Annette before Britney when listing Mouseketeers.

I still can’t figure out what “Hey Kids! Comics!” is: my Google-foo is weak. File it under RIDU (References I Don’t Understand).

4. Elyrest Mar 11th 2009 at 09:05 pm 4

I got this one right away and my first thought was that there were going to be a lot of younger people who wouldn’t understand it. Payback for the ones I don’t get cause I’m too old.

5. fuzzmaster Mar 11th 2009 at 09:43 pm 5

Hey Kids! Comics: Classic sign above racks of comic books.

6. Kelex Mar 11th 2009 at 09:52 pm 6

Adam, when comic books were sold in bookstore on wire spinner racks, some of the racks would have a sign at the top that said “Hey Kids! Comics!” I know a few collectors who still have the old spinner racks as display items.

7. Haboo Mar 11th 2009 at 10:28 pm 7

I have to say, today was Wednesday, but nothing really happened.

8. Cidu Bill Mar 11th 2009 at 10:38 pm 8

Haboo, just because anything can happen doesn’t guarantee that anything will happen.

9. furrykef Mar 12th 2009 at 02:18 am 9

For instance, I could spontaneously transmute into a giant pile of uranium atoms, but I probably won’t.

10. Frank the curmudgeon Mar 12th 2009 at 03:25 am 10

Damn you! I’ve been trying to forget the Mickey Mouse Club for over fifty years.
    Worse than the damn purple dinosaur.

11. Todd Mar 12th 2009 at 04:49 am 11

I’ve never understood why everyone hates the dinosaur; he’s all about love.

The sponge on the other hand… Gaaaahhhh!!!!!

He sold everything he owned to buy a hi-tech spatula (?) (after his old one broke in two), and it ran off because he wasn’t good enough for it.

12. Powers Mar 12th 2009 at 09:38 am 12

I resent the implication that only old people would know anything about the Mickey Mouse Club.

Powers &8^]

13. That Idiot Ivan Mar 13th 2009 at 02:59 am 13

Yes, I am old enough to remember the original MMC, but i still have fonder memories of “ANYthing can happen in the next half-hour!”

14. Mark Jones Mar 13th 2009 at 09:07 am 14

I had to google this one, to be honest. Maybe it *is* time to start up such a category, Bill.

Dang…The strips always make me feel young…and not in a good way.