WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (2651) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » In the Clouds

In the Clouds

on Jan 27th 2009

fw090125.gif

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (2651) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (2651) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “In the Clouds”

1. Lihtox Jan 27th 2009 at 12:06 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Their hair is all kinky? And poofy like clouds? Best I can do.

First thing I noticed was the white outline around the guy talking, but I think that might mean “this is the guy that’s talking”.

2. furrykef Jan 27th 2009 at 01:17 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I thought the white outline was becuase the comic was designed for black and white and was stupidly colorized without adjusting the lines, but this is a Sunday panel, so that can’t be it.

So either it’s part of the joke or somebody REALLY dropped the ball here.

- Kef

3. Miss Appropriate Jan 27th 2009 at 01:18 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Oh man, I have found a place wher I truly belong! Hey wait… I’m the woman who’s second from the left!

4. furrykef Jan 27th 2009 at 01:19 am 4

Erm, “because”, not “becuase”. I spell better than that. :P

5. Miss Appropriate Jan 27th 2009 at 01:25 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

p.s. I think the cartoonist heard the phrase “cloud computing” and was just dying to make a joke out of it, even though the joke here has nothing to do with the real meaning of the phrase (I don’t understand it well enough to explain it myself, and the explanations seem to vary anyway). Ha ha, clouds/humidity make curly hair kinky. Adding the hip technology reference doesn’t make it any more hilarious.

6. Mario Jan 27th 2009 at 03:28 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think the joke is that there’s a lot of static electricity running through the “cloud,” occasionally hitting the users with small jolts of lightning. Just a pun on “cloud computing;” not very funny, but worth a half-chuckle.

7. Mel Jan 27th 2009 at 08:22 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m just wondering what the guy at the desk is looking at. My first thought was that this was going into Arlo territory.

(Now I’m sure the cartoonist intended him to be looking at the keyboard mounted below the desk, but that’s not the first impression I got.)

8. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 27th 2009 at 11:03 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“As a metaphor for the Internet, ‘the cloud’ is a familiar cliché, but when combined with ‘computing,’ the meaning gets bigger and fuzzier.” Source: article at infoworld.com

Had to Google “cloud computing” to get that. Not the most obvious joke; may be too nerdy.

9. Scott Jan 27th 2009 at 01:40 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Cloud computing basically means getting time on a whole bunch of computers as needed, so you don’t need to own enough to meet big periodic computing needs. That way you don’t need to administer the computers either. Down the hall from me is a room with over 1,000 CPUs, which people in my company use to do big compute intensive computer design jobs. You take as many cpus as you need for your job, and it handles things like moving the job to another machine if one goes down.

As for the cartoon, I agree it is cloud -> hair like a cloud -> kinks in the hair. Quite feeble.

10. Mateus Jan 27th 2009 at 06:14 pm 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

First I looked at the picture, then read the caption; at first, I thought it said “Clown” instead of “Cloud” and it made sense to me. A bunch of clowns milling about during office hours, waiting to use the only computer in the circus.

11. pepperjackcandy Jan 28th 2009 at 02:10 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I got “static electricity” out of it, too, except I thought their hair was standing up, like you get when you rub a balloon on your hair.

And the white outline may be because the background wasn’t all the same shade of white, and when it got colorized, the area that didn’t quite match got missed.

12. Matthew Jan 28th 2009 at 01:23 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, working on cloud computing has made their hair kinky, like clouds. It wasn’t the cartoonist’s best day.

13. Anita Jan 28th 2009 at 08:22 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think the joke is that clouds are damp. Damp air makes many people’s hair very frizzy. Thus, working in a “cloud environmnent” gives you frizzy hair.