Nothing where? Nothing where?

Cidu Bill on Nov 20th 2008

nothingwhere.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, F-Minus, Tony Carrillo, birds, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Nothing where? Nothing where?”

1. Tatarize Nov 20th 2008 at 12:08 am 1

Window Pane Survivor Support Group.

He’s a bird. He crashed into a window because he couldn’t see the glass. The other birds have jacked up beaks.

2. CIDU Bill Nov 20th 2008 at 12:15 am 2

Got that, Tatarize, but what does “Nothing there” mean?

3. Paul Nov 20th 2008 at 12:29 am 3

I think it means that he believed there was nothing in the window because the glass was clear. Like if an invisible monster was attacking you you might be shocked because you felt that there was “nothing there” even though you were being harmed.

4. Djagir Nov 20th 2008 at 12:37 am 4

Paul’s got it. Imagine that what the bird said just before was along the lines of, “I don’t know what hit me…I should have been able to fly straight through!”

5. Ooten Aboot Nov 20th 2008 at 07:10 am 5

A recent TV commercial for Windex suggested that the birds - or at least two magpies - have discovered whats there and turned the tables on humans.

6. Nicole Nov 20th 2008 at 09:56 am 6

The bird is breaking down because he is convince that there was nothing there and yet he clearly flew into something.

What I don’t get it that if you have a ‘Window Pane Survivor Support Group’ you must understand what a window pane is, and its properties. Brad is at the support group, so he must know what a window pane is and its properties — so why is he upset that there was ‘nothing there’

7. Rasheed Nov 20th 2008 at 10:27 am 7

Nicole-
    Because it was a traumatic accident. Bad things sometimes happen on the flimsiest of pretenses. They are well aware that glass was there AFTER the fact, but they didn’t perceive it until too late. One minute everything’s fine, and you proceed doing something, but it turns out your perception was blinded.

8. Tim Nov 20th 2008 at 10:41 am 8

The glass is now an irrational fear, or phobia. People (or birds) who have an irrational fear of something, even though they know that there is no reason to fear them, go to such support groups.

Specific phobias in people commonly focus on animals, insects, heights, thunder, driving, public transportation, flying, dental or medical procedures, and elevators. Although people with phobias realize that their fear is irrational, even thinking about it can often cause extreme anxiety. The phobia can disrupt daily routines, limit work efficiency, reduce self-esteem, and place a strain on relationships because people will do whatever they can to avoid the uncomfortable and often-terrifying feelings of phobic anxiety.

These birds, even though they know and understand that there is glass, probably suffer from panic attacks and have ruined lives because of their fear of glass.

Specific to the original question…the bird talks about his fear and the other birds show their understanding.

At least, that’s what I got out of it :^)

9. Rammy M Nov 20th 2008 at 10:45 am 9

What they all said, but also
    “window PANE” -> “PAIN management”

10. Nicole Nov 20th 2008 at 10:51 am 10

Wow — no one can disconstruct a cartoon like we can

11. Its Justme Nov 20th 2008 at 10:59 am 11

I think that if the sign was not there, the cartoon would be much funnier to those who “got it.” Unfortunately, I don’t think many, including me, would “get it” without the clue for the context. Of course, Brad’s beak would have to be visible also if the sign wasn’t there. And maybe a cervical collar?

12. Jimbo Nov 20th 2008 at 01:43 pm 12

I was the shadow of the waxwing slain/By the false azure of the window pane

(apologies to Nabokov)

13. Christian Nov 20th 2008 at 02:34 pm 13

The traumatized bird here is named Brad, as in Brad Bird, as in the brilliant, Oscar winning director of “The Incredibles”. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0083348/. I don’t think that’s an accident.

14. Elyrest Nov 20th 2008 at 03:40 pm 14

I actually laughed out loud at this one. Our house has many large windows and lots of trees around it. It is a common sound many times of the year to hear bang-bang-bang. It is very common when berries have gotten ripe and actually fermented and after the birds eat them they go a little crazy. I can hear some of those birds saying There was nothing there! Nothing there!”.

Poor little birds.

15. Rasheed Nov 20th 2008 at 03:50 pm 15

My mom has to put decals on her glass door so Grandpa doesn’t try to walk through when he visits.

16. J-L Nov 20th 2008 at 04:51 pm 16

I’d like to mention that not only are their beaks bent, but their legs are bent incorrectly, too. Making birds sit in a chair that way just looks so wrong!

17. Christian Nov 20th 2008 at 05:02 pm 17

The bird’s name is Brad, as in Brad Bird, as in the Oscar-winning director of “The Incredibles”, among other things. I doubt that’s merely a coincidence.

18. Mark in Boston Nov 20th 2008 at 05:27 pm 18

You have to imagine the bird breaking down as he tells the story (like a bad actor in a movie).

“I was … I was just flying around, you know … and … (sniff) … no, it’s OK, I’m alright, and there was a house with a big opening … … I thought I could fly in … Oh God … something hit me … but there was nothing there … nothing there … nothing there “

19. Frank Nov 20th 2008 at 05:55 pm 19

Obviously it is Dick Cheney’s fault.

20. Valleyace Nov 20th 2008 at 10:29 pm 20

Birds fly into windows because they see the reflection of the sky behind them and think that it is more sky. Hitting the window is the surprise that the sky was “not there”.

21. Hunt Nov 24th 2008 at 09:22 am 21

Would it be too obscure if the sign said “Mystery Collision” instead of “Window Pane?”