And HOW exactly would this do less harm?

Cidu Bill on Nov 19th 2008

close_to_home556g.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Close to Home, John McPherson, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “And HOW exactly would this do less harm?”

1. Kelex Nov 19th 2008 at 02:43 am 1

Many critters are harmed by the bottom of the car, rather than the wheels. This design wouldn’t *guarantee* critter safety, but it would increase the odds.

2. Cedar Nov 19th 2008 at 03:25 am 2

Good God, this is the ugliest comic I have ever seen. The drawing style is just hideous.

3. Frank Nov 19th 2008 at 04:25 am 3

Carlos Mencia would have a field day with this.

4. Blinky the Wonder Wombat Nov 19th 2008 at 10:01 am 4

The deer that my daughter’s friend recently wiped out would have appreciated this design feature.

5. Elliott Nov 19th 2008 at 10:17 am 5

too top heavy, soon as the driver slams on the breaks, the squirrel is toast. Or maybe a waffle would be a better metaphor.

6. Jack Nov 19th 2008 at 10:43 am 6

The engineering students that I work with on a regular basis would probably just cringe with horror at the problems inherent in such an engineering design.

7. Vince LoGreco Nov 19th 2008 at 11:35 am 7

Well, it would at least save the critter from the bumper, but not the wheels. What is up with driving on the left hand side of the road? At first I thought they were in the UK until I saw that the steering wheel was also on the left. And I concur with Cedar. It looks like it was scanned on a 1991 copier with dirty glass.

8. John DiFool Nov 19th 2008 at 12:07 pm 8

A hovercraft would have made more sense. Then again the critter would go underneath the skirt and get sucked into the fanblades…

9. padraig Nov 19th 2008 at 01:28 pm 9

One of my questions to PETA types who claim they never harm animals is, “You ever drive?” Some of them will argue that “collateral” damage in the form of road kill doesn’t count.

The vehicle in the cartoon would probably kill lots of woodland creatures with its frequent rollovers.

10. Nicole Nov 19th 2008 at 02:06 pm 10

While driving, if I see a small animal in the road, I will often try to straddle it so that it does not turned into road pizza by my wheels — sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t — but I try. This design would allow me to try the same technique with a larger animal. And since this design would only work in comic strip world where the laws of physics are malleable — rollovers would not be a problem

11. heather Nov 19th 2008 at 02:43 pm 11

I think there’s a wee bit of misunderstanding in some of the responses… I don’t think this car is meant to be up in the air like that ALL THE TIME… there are motion lines swooshing up. The guy presses a button or something when he sees a critter and the extension legs pop up. So no frequent roll-over problems…

12. Nicole Nov 19th 2008 at 02:58 pm 12

I don’t know about anyone else, but I got that the car was designed to go up in the air only when needed. You can tell that by the “movles” under the car. Movles are lines in comics indicating movement — in this case the car is going up.

13. Cidu Bill Nov 19th 2008 at 03:44 pm 13

Blinky, I have to say as a rural New Jersey driver, that what a deer would or would not appreciate ranks very low on my scale of concerns.

14. Nicole Nov 19th 2008 at 04:01 pm 14

Bill

If you don’t care about the deer, you could care about your car. I know a couple of people whose cars were totaled when they hit a deer — just sayin

15. Cidu Bill Nov 19th 2008 at 04:10 pm 15

Oh, I DEFINITELY care about my car. And, you know, my life. I’ve had two close encounters with deer over the past few years (including one bizarre moment when I managed to weave my way between two deer running across the road at the same time, managing only to lose a side-view mirror in the bargain), and my son hit one a week after he got his driver’s license.

I’m just questioning Blinky’s assumption that I should care what these self-destructive venison-on-legs feel.

I apologize if this offend your vegetarian sensibilities, but as far as I’m concerned these animals are just 200-pound vermin.

16. Nicole Nov 19th 2008 at 04:41 pm 16

Silly Bill — you can’t offend me because you don’t like deer.

Living in upstate NY, I have had a few close encounters of the ruminant kind myself. Personally I had a deer dance on the hood of my car, and not the macarana. So been there done that.

17. Rasheed Nov 19th 2008 at 07:06 pm 17

I went my whole life without hitting anything with my car. Then twice during August-September, I plowed through a slow-ascending dove and catapulted a bunny within one block of my apartment. The bunny happened on my way to the prayer center at the corner, too!

18. NoAlias Nov 19th 2008 at 09:00 pm 18

It works in the cartoons….

19. Mark in Boston Nov 20th 2008 at 05:21 pm 19

Mack Sennett movies had cars like this.

20. Rainey Nov 21st 2008 at 10:14 am 20

The “Close to Home” comic strip has a recurring habit of coming up with inventions that may or may not work in reality. I remember one of their strips that featured a suction cup gun used by police to catch speeders.

21. todd Nov 21st 2008 at 05:46 pm 21

No one here ever saw the Scooby Doo at the race track? A phantom car would come from nowhere, it and the car it was chasing would enter a fog bank, then only the phantom car would come out. The gang proved the phantom car was elevating, then descending over the other car to conceal it.

22. ljdarten Nov 24th 2008 at 01:24 pm 22

My wife has a problem with hitting birds the last few years.

seriously, I think somewhere on her car “suicide machine” is written in bird.

one got wedged under the hood (died instantly it seemed) and I had to dig it out with a stick. made for a funny picture though. :)