Because, you know, we’ve had so few Arlo and Janis strips here lately…

Cidu Bill on Jul 28th 2008

birdbath.gif

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, birds, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Because, you know, we’ve had so few Arlo and Janis strips here lately…”

1. dd Jul 28th 2008 at 12:17 am 1

What’s the CIDU? He’s moved the thing around 9 times until she was happy with the placement of it. Right?

And he’s all grumpy about it until she actually thanks him, then he brushes it off as not such a big deal.

2. Richard Jul 28th 2008 at 01:08 am 2

The first time I red tht, I thought Janis said, “Thank you for getting it up” - instead of “Thank you for setting it up.”

3. Nathan Jul 28th 2008 at 02:13 am 3

What dd said.

4. Cedar Jul 28th 2008 at 02:27 am 4

I don’t get the bird’s eye view of the last panel, plus the last line. dd’s explanation doesn’t make sense to me since we don’t see Arlo’s expression in the final panel, and he still looks annoyed in the third.

5. bAT L. Jul 28th 2008 at 02:34 am 5

Annoyed in the third panel? Exhausted maybe, but not annoyed. It looks like he’s enjoying the little peck that Janis is giving him, and from the sound of what he’s saying, he very well could be brushing it off.

Besides, all of this makes sense, but there still doesn’t seem to be a joke in the last panel. There is no wordplay as most comics would have in the final panel. Maybe we’re just supposed to see the humor in realizing Arlo did more work than we thought he did and he had a right to look so frustrated.

6. dd Jul 28th 2008 at 02:46 am 6

All the little circles are where the base of the birdbath sat momentarily until Janis decided on a better place for it… over and over again.

I guess I interpreted his face in the 3rd panel more like “self-appointed martyr” than “annoyed.”

Of course, I may be seeing that interpretation because I hear that conversation between my parents whenever I’m back at their house. My Dad grumbles about work, my mom appeases him and lets him know he’s appreciated, then he’s happy again and all’s well.

7. Bah humbug Jul 28th 2008 at 06:52 am 7

As a self-confessed obsessive-compulsive, I got this one immediately. I try to keep it under control, but I’ve lived in my current apartment for a year, and I haven’t yet gotten up the energy to begin the arduous task of figuring out where to hang any artwork. Gotta restock the spackle first! I just looooove when I decide that each picture in the room just has to be moved by an inch or two…. argh!

8. Rasheed Jul 28th 2008 at 09:37 am 8

I’m with you Bah humbug, I don’t want to have to repaint my apartment when I leave, so I’m REAL lazy and just leave my paintings on the floor against the wall instead of moving them up vertically three feet.

9. Scott Jul 28th 2008 at 12:20 pm 9

In the last panel, thanks to the kiss, I think Arlo has gone from annoyed to feeling manly. That happens when a job like this is finally over.

10. Michele Jul 28th 2008 at 01:05 pm 10

Bah humbug — I saw a great button the other day:

I have CDO.
    It’s like OCD,
    but all the letters are in alphabetical order,
    like they should be.

11. Winter Wallaby Jul 28th 2008 at 05:35 pm 11

I somehow thought that this was here as an Arlo, and spent several minutes starting at it trying to wrest some sexual connotation from moving a heavy birdbath.

12. Cidu Bill Jul 28th 2008 at 05:42 pm 12

Nicole would have found one.

13. Charles Jul 28th 2008 at 09:15 pm 13

Bah humbug, that’s why I restored the picture rails in our house. No nails required.

14. Lorraine Jul 29th 2008 at 12:26 am 14

Probably because I was expecting a straight-out “Arlo” strip, I totally read this as “Thanks for getting it up” also!!!

Reading this blog is corrupting my mind . . .

15. Lola Jul 29th 2008 at 01:25 am 15

ohhhh lorraine… me too

16. todd Jul 29th 2008 at 03:36 pm 16

Reading between the lines, he’s probably thinking to himself she really can’t say no to him tonight.