Missing Cow

Cidu Bill on Apr 25th 2008

cowsandchickens.gif

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Scott Hilburn, chickens, comic strips, comics, cows, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Missing Cow”

1. tracy Apr 25th 2008 at 12:10 am 1

The leather jacket and boots might be a hint, but why a chicken? Is this revenge for the Chik-Fil-A adds?

2. arik1969 Apr 25th 2008 at 01:33 am 2

What would be funnier as a cattle rustler than a chicken?

Nothing.

Except maybe a platypus. Even the word platypus makes me smile. Platypus, platypus, platypus. Hee-hee.

3. Dan V Apr 25th 2008 at 02:31 am 3

Not just leather - cow-patterned leather! Plus a big honking belt buckle that screams “You might be a redneck…”

I think Argyle Sweater is another Far Side wanna-be, and even though you can’t replace the original, this one is pretty funny and captures that Far Side flavor.

4. LostInTarnation Apr 25th 2008 at 03:37 am 4

Tracy’s got it — this is the backlash from the cows’ “eat more chikin” campaign — further evidenced by the chicken’s holstein-patterned vest and boots.

5. Elliott Apr 25th 2008 at 08:08 am 5

it looks more like a Reynolds Unwrapped than most.

6. Janice Apr 25th 2008 at 09:39 am 6

Tracy, on a completely unrelated note, did you know that a baby platypus is a “puggle”?

7. Lola Apr 25th 2008 at 11:37 am 7

ahhhhh, I get it. He’s wearing the cow’s hide and the dumb cops (and this reader of the comic) are missing the obvious clue to what happened to the cow.

8. James Carroll Apr 25th 2008 at 01:43 pm 8

This is yet another reason why I detest “The Argyle Rip-Off”. It’s not the Far Side… and never will be. It’s a wonder the Far-Side wannaber didn’t have the chicken holding some “cow tools”. Embarrassing bad cartoon.

9. My Name is Earl Apr 26th 2008 at 11:01 am 9

I’m always amused when someone doesn’t like a certain comic because it’s a Far Side knock off. Brevity, Argyle, Loose Parts, Rubes.

It’s like being a pop-tart fanatic and then having Kellogs suddenly discontinue them. You miss them - crave them even. Then a different manufacturer steps in and starts making them again. They aren’t as good, but hey, it’s better than nothing.

10. Julie Apr 26th 2008 at 11:17 am 10

I agree with My Name is Earl and Dan V. I like Argyle Sweater and often LOL to this comic. I don’t think having a similar sense of humor to Larson is a crime.

11. Lola Apr 26th 2008 at 12:58 pm 11

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Besides, if only one of each type of humor was allowed, in all of history there would be like three comedians/comics writers and talk about boring!

What about the other arts? Only one each of rock and roll, blues, jazz, country (well I could live with this one), folk, etc. Only one cubist, impressionest, and all but one of the old masters has got to go. Hey, only one heart surgeon and don’t even think about getting therapy because both Jung and Freud are both dead!

OK, that’s a bit extreme, but nobody, not even imitators will be exactly the same as the things they are imitating and that’s how we get cultural evolution. Even Larson didn’t get 100% of his ideas from within, there are always outside influences. Well, I don’t know that for a fact, but I’m willing to risk that it’s a pretty safe bet.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS