Dust Bowl Willy

Cidu Bill on Apr 17th 2008

dustbowlwilly2.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Darby Conley, Get Fuzzy, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Dust Bowl Willy”

1. Louis Apr 17th 2008 at 12:54 am 1

it’s postmodern!

2. kedamono Apr 17th 2008 at 01:22 am 2

I wonder if its a mention about Tumbleweeds, which has stopped running a while ago.

3. Lord-z Apr 17th 2008 at 04:48 am 3

I can only assume that Dust Bowl Willy is supposed to be some sort of comic strip from the thirties that has long since lost all relevance. It might be a swipe at strips that keeps on going long past last sell date. Now, I understand that we are not allowed to criticise strips, here, but you can probably all think of a few.

4. arik1969 Apr 17th 2008 at 05:07 am 4

I didn’t find anything on a comic strip by that name in a quick search. My assumption was that this wasn’t so much a joke, as a setup for a storyline. Dust Bowl Willy might be the name of a comic strip that exists solely in the Fuzzy world, or, perhaps, it is a comic strip name that Bucky just pulled out of his posterior for a comic strip that he is about to create. It’s happened before.

5. Lola Apr 17th 2008 at 08:58 am 5

One of the first Mickey Mouse cartoons and I think the first full length animated movie was called Steamboat Willy, so maybe that’s what he’s referring to. It’s certainly not a comic strip, but it is a film strip….close but no cigar. That would be about right, though, because Bucky is always getting things a bit wrong and he’s always so sure he’s perfectly right and oh so clever. Not only that, but a comic set in the dust bowl is hardly likely to be a “funny” situation, let alone to be the greatest of all time. BTW, I wouldn’t put either Peanuts or Garfield on my top ten list.

6. Howabominable (aka Lindsey ^_^) Apr 17th 2008 at 12:23 pm 6

Looking at today’s comic, the dialogue looks a lot like the “Snuffy Smith” dialogue.

7. Frank Apr 17th 2008 at 07:08 pm 7

I continue to read GET FUZZY because every once in a while it has sometthing that merits attention. This isn’t one of those occasions.

8. eeyore19 Apr 17th 2008 at 08:46 pm 8

Lola: while “Steamboat Willy” was the first *sound* cartoon, it was still just a 7-minute short. The first feature-length animated film came a few years later with “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”

9. meep Apr 18th 2008 at 04:41 am 9

Looking at today’s, it looks like a knock at Snuffy Smith.

10. Mark Apr 18th 2008 at 06:21 am 10

Didn’t they talk like that in Lil Abner?

11. Todd Apr 22nd 2008 at 05:55 pm 11

I notice the dog is looking at the reader as he suggests Garfield. Appropriate, I suppose since I consider Get Fuzzy to be a dog-lover version of Garfield.

One thing I’ve never understood: if Bucky is smart enough to clean his own litter box, why isn’t he smart enough not to use a litter box?

12. Cidu Bill Apr 22nd 2008 at 05:58 pm 12

Once you go there, Todd, you have to ask “If Bucky’s smart enough to talk…”

13. Devin Feb 20th 2013 at 11:18 pm 13

This is taken out of context. It’s a part of a storyline where Bucky tries to get Rob and Satchel to read lines from “Dust Bowl Willy,” which is apparently a comic strip from the 30s. For the next few strips they try reading them, but the lines are so archaic they no longer makes sense.
    It’s actually a pretty funny storyline.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS