He’s Death, Jim

Cidu Bill on Feb 8th 2008

f-minus-jim.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, F-Minus, Grim Reaper, Tony Carrillo, barroom fights, bars, comic strips, comics, death, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “He’s Death, Jim”

1. Powers Feb 8th 2008 at 06:43 am 1

You can’t cheat Death, but apparently you can *beat* Death.

Alternate explanation: “You don’t tug on Superman’s cape; you don’t spit into the wind; you don’t pull the mask off that ol’ Lone Ranger, and you don’t mess around with Jim.”

2. Rick Feb 8th 2008 at 07:50 am 2

Jim’s not good at chess, but he and Death worked out an alternate arrangement.

Apparently, Death lost and changed tactics.

3. spiritcatcher Feb 8th 2008 at 10:54 am 3

i think bill got it right in the first place - it *is* a star trek joke.

4. The Ploughman Feb 8th 2008 at 11:27 am 4

I don’t entirely get it, but it made me laugh, so I guess it was successful.

It’s funny to me because I’m trying to imagine the previous events that led to this panel. What did Death say or do to anger Jim? What made Jim think it was a good idea to fight Death hand-to-hand?

As an added bonus, it appears that Jim CAN best Death in fisticuffs.

5. Glenn Feb 8th 2008 at 02:57 pm 5

Yes, my first thought was good `ol Jim Kirk too - I can hear the ST “fight to the death” music in the background…

dah dah dah-dah-dah-dah dah dada dah daaah…

6. Keera Feb 8th 2008 at 04:39 pm 6

Jim Croce earworm! Thanks to the Powers that be. *ducking and running*

7. Molly Feb 8th 2008 at 11:31 pm 7

I’ve heard of just barely beating back death — maybe this is what they mean.

8. bAT L. Feb 9th 2008 at 03:01 am 8

Now if only he would laugh in the face of Death.

9. Powers Feb 9th 2008 at 11:15 am 9

Man, I post two perfectly reasonable explanations, and still people come up with “Oh, it’s James T. Kirk!” This site never ceases to amaze me. =)

10. robverb Feb 9th 2008 at 02:11 pm 10

spiritcatcher, I don’t think Bill was saying it’s a Star Trek reference (if he “got” that joke then this wouldn’t be a CIDU, would it), I think he was just being clever. Unfortunately, I think his wordplay sent people in a direction that they wouldn’t have gone it otherwise - besides the (pretty common) name there’s nothing here that says Star Trek to me.

11. Cidu Bill Feb 9th 2008 at 02:22 pm 11

Like Rob says… I don’t think this has anything to do with James Kirk, but I couldn’t resist the caption. And Rob, thanks for not saying “trying to be clever.”

12. Chip Feb 11th 2008 at 10:55 am 12

Just have to say, I’m impressed with the artwork on this one. Without showing a face for Death, the body language has me convinced Death was completely surprised by this attack & he is thinking, “Oh cr*p! I’m in trouble now!”

And I agree with The Ploughman’s interpretation of the strip & why it is funny.

13. J-L Apr 24th 2013 at 07:47 pm 13

I laughed at this one.

It’s funny on several levels; one that hasn’t been pointed out yet is that inebriated people in large groups sometimes act in ways that they normally wouldn’t any other time. For instance, they might cheer a guy on to beat up another guy.

In this case, they’re cheering on Jim to beat up Death. And is it all that surprising their cheering for Jim? It’s either cheer for their friend Jim, or cheer for Death.

Who would you rather cheer for? Who would you rather cheer for while drunk? (You might regret it in the morning, but for now, who cares?)

Trackback URI | Comments RSS